Vintage NOS bathroom Relaxation Unit, BIN on the bay

Look what has been unearthed NOS now: A vintage relaxation unit. In fact, this may be one of the rarest NOS finds yet – I don’t think I’ve ever seen a relaxation NOS, although I’ve seen several in their natural habitat. Here’s a vintage brochure. The ebay listing photos are deceptive, though: Instead of two extra rolls of TP, that space on the upper right is for an ashtray! 🙂

Comments

1. Cindy says

Relaxation Unit! I have one of those but never knew what to call it.( Relaxation Unit sounds slightly suggestive, don’t you think?)
    Like the one in your photo I have a New Yorker in mine!!

2. Lynn-O-Matic says

We have one in our early sixties bathroom, too, and of course we also thought the space was for spare rolls of toilet paper. I am so thrilled to find out it’s called a Relaxation Unit–although my preferred relaxation is reading Retro Renovation, not smoking in the powder room.

3. TappanTrailerTami says

This is very cool, and harkens to the days when it was standard fare to have a telephone in the john also.

My grandmother had her rotary dial telephone on the back of the toilet ever since I can remember. I guess this just goes along with that….,read a little, smoke a little, and talk a little, LOL.

4. Kate H says

Cigarettes + flammable toilet paper seems like a bad idea. Like that sink fixture that has water + electricity in the same place.

It just seems like something that wouldn’t make it off the drawing board today, you know? Whenever people complain about dumb warning labels, I will remember the Relaxation Unit.

5. Elizabeth Mary says

How funny that is — the name of it, mostly. In my home growing up, our 1 bathroom 3 bedroom home, we had something similar — a magazine rack on the floor beside the toilet. It was mostly for my father’s benefit, so I found it interesting that the brochure described this as being for men. However, in a family of 3 daughter’s having something that extended the stay in the bathroom was not always a good idea.

On the other hand, I have one of those short walls between the tub and toilet in my 1946 Cape Cod ranch and I do wish it had held one of these. You can bet I would have kept it.

that’s pretty amazing!

do you think this sort of thing popped up in relation to larger houses with two bathrooms becoming prevalent? i can’t imagine having something to encourage “relaxation” and longer stays in our only bathroom!…then again, the bathroom is about the only place the kids seem to respect your privacy; maybe it’s an escape tactic 😉

Yup, $200 doesn’t surprise me at all. The competition for this stuff has REALLY increased over the last 5 years I’ve been blogging!

7. Melanie says

Love that picture of the “Relaxation Unit” in the pink bathroom with the pink toilet paper. I miss colored toilet paper. The ashtray brings back memories of the days when there was at least one ashtray in every room.

8. hannah says

Ah memories….. Back in hte day when it wasn’t ’embarassing’ to take a magazine into the bathroom. 🙂 You gotta love this thing. I’ll be keeping an eye out locally now. Thanks for another thing added to my wish list. =\

9. Nadine Jennings says

A friend of mine has a couple of those at her house. I’ll have to look more closely at them next time I’m there.

My dad’s got one in his house, which used to be his parents’ house. He was thrilled to learn its name and that it was for an ashtray on that top shelf. I visited recently and he put one in there, just for my benefit (since I found this post) 🙂