Parts, service and advice to fix old stoves and other vintage appliances – 9 online resources

parts and service for vintage stoves and appliances

Earlier this year I wrote a story with ideas about where to get your vintage appliances, including stoves, repaired. My focus was on helping you find local suppliers — old time repair shops — that could help you out. But, readers also chimed in with some great comments. I strongly encourage you to read that original post, along with all the Comments. In particular, though, I wanted to call out the online resources suggested by reader Patrick Coffey. He seems to have pulled together a great list of both companies and community forums that can help you connect with parts, service and instructions to help get your vintage appliances and stoves back in tip-top shape if you are unable to find local repair shops that can do the work for you. Patrick writes:

There are a host places to go on the net that can definitely help you with vintage appliances….both major AND small.

• Repairing vintage washers, dryers, dishwashers and other major appliances — For advice and help on repairing vintage major appliances…try asking for advice at my favorite website — Automatic Washer — believe it or not there are a A LOT of people (some of which frequent this site) who post on that site that have actually restored vintage major appliances from the likes fo early automatic washer and dryers to dishwasher, stoves and fridges. People at the site are always willing to give advice on where to find parts and even tell you how they fixed problems like ones you might be having. Also you can see pics and videos of some of the awesome restored appliances.
  • Repairing vintage stoves — Also there are sources like The Old Appliance Club that can help you find parts.
  • Repairing vintage stoves and refrigerators — There is also Jowers Antique Appliances that restores vintage stoves and fridges and has some replacement parts for stoves and fridges (check their site for specifics).
  • Repairing vintage toasters and waffle irons — Now for small appliances like toasters and waffle irons there is Micheal Sheaffe in New York who runs Toaster Central. He restores and sells old toasters, waffle irons, and Sunbeam Slow Cookers.
  • Repairing Sunbeam toasters — If you have a Sunbeam Self lowering Radiant Control Toaster that needs a adjustment take a look at this web site Automatic Beyond Belief. This web site is dedicated to the self lowering toasters that Sunbeam made from 1949 to 1997.
  • Repairing vintage electric mixers and coffee grinders — For vintage mixers and Kitchen Aid Coffee Grinders there is Deco DanCheck out his site.
  • Repairing vintage vacuum cleaners — For advice about vintage vacuums there is Vacuumland.org, which is the website for the Vacuum Cleaner Collectors Club. This is actually a sister site to Automaticwasher.org, and you will find as many knowledgeable vintage vacuum folk here as you will find anywhere.
  • Repairing vintage ceiling fans — Last but not least if you have a vintage fan that needs a hand (sorry couldn’t resist getting cute) go to FanCollectors.org,   home of the Antique Fan Collectors Association.
  • As for me I am lucky I have a tv guy, a radio guy, and a small appliance repair shop all with in a half hour of my pad that will fix my vintage stuff……..

Last but not least some important reminders:

• I do not have personal experience with these resources, so I am not endorsing them.
  • Please make sure that you do your own research to verify that you are working with safe, experienced, licensed professionals.
  • While some of these sites may include information focused on Do It Yourself projects, Retro Renovation.com is not a DIY site. So please –>
  • –> Do your own research — consult with licensed professionals — regarding the environmental and safety issues related to using or repairing vintage appliances — there can be vintage nastiness like lead and asbestos in vintage materials including appliances — and then of course there are the wiring issues and lord knows what else. For more info see our Be Safe / Renovate Safe page.

And, as Lara Jane commented in the original story:

To follow up on Pam’s post, I know a lot of people on other home improvement sites were scammed by a guy restoring vintage stoves (some they’d sent to him, some were advertised on his site). Be careful who you give your money to, and if possible, use a credit card with buyer protection!

Many thanks to Patrick for this great contribution to the blog, and to Julie, Lara Jane, and all the others who provided additional ideas on the original post. Keep ’em coming!

Comments

1. Joanne says

Does anyone have referrals for small vintage appliance repair for a “greaseless donut machine” or known as a brown bobby machine.

It scan be shipped so location is not an issue.

Joanne

2. Candi says

Looking for someone to clean an O’Keeffe Merritt 1950’s Gas Stove in Houston TX area.

Your assistance is greatly appreciated.

3. Rachel Rojas says

I recently purchased a 1959 home with the original wall oven but it does not get hot. I really want to keep it but need a repair man that works on older appliances in San Bernardino area.

4. kathy says

We have some Kenmore mint appliances from the 50’s and are wondering if they can be used somewhere. They have hardly been used. We have two ovens and a stove top. We are renovating and don’t want to throw them out. I can send pictures if you would like
    Thanks Kathy

5. Megan says

We have a kitchen of St. Charles cabinets that we plan to refinish and use when we renovate later this year but when we redesign the layout I think we will need a lot more. Any ideas where to find some to purchase? Thanks!

Our house came with a working Hotpoint electric range and oven. How do I date it and find a user manual for it? It is self-cleaning with a window on the top right oven door, and stylewise looks to be about mid-60s. I have tried googling and searching your site but I need a photo in order to identify it.

7. James says

I have a older 1953 Tappen model TV 63X16 natural gas stove in MINT condition trying to convert it to LP/Propane

Can’t seem to find anyone who knows how this can be done.

• Bobbie says

James, I have several vintage gas stoves in various stages of restoration. I got hooked after the first one. It can be difficult to find someone near to work on them. I have converted mine to use propane and it is usually simpler than on a modern stove. Propane burns hotter than natural gas and the orifices where the gas comes out at each control knob need to be smaller. My stoves are late 1940’s and older and the orifices behind the knobs are adjustable to get the right size flame. (newer stoves are different) The air /gas ratio also must be adjusted to get the right color flame. These adjustments are very simple. The technicians at your propane supplier may be able to make the adjustments for you. Especially if they have been in the business for a long time. Good luck!

8. Kathy T says

Sadly Toaster Central will no longer work on old Waffle irons. If you know of someone else let me know. I have a brand new Twin -O-Matic that needs rewiring to modern code. Other than the wiring being dated the thing is immaculate. I am afraid to use it without modern wiring.

9. Linda says

We have a 1958 house with a 1958 Westinghouse Electric Oven with a thermostat that stopped working. Toac does not have the part. Who rebuilds thermostats?
    I bake 750 cookies each month for the local commodities, and love this oven.

10. Joe Felice says

I think it’s great whenever anyone can repair and restore appliances–small & large. Today, everything is “throw-away”–we’re expected to throw things away and buy new ones. Most of the time, they’re not even recyclable. How sad! There used to be a place in Denver–Western Repair–where you could get ANY small appliance, machine or device repaired–irons, coffee makers, griddles, toasters, clock-radios, even lawn mowers and lawn tools. Sadly, this business fell into disfavor with the throw-away generation.

And did anyone else notice how many of these vintage appliances are still working? Or how easily they can be repaired? Definitely not made to be thrown away. And people back then did keep things longer and did perform repairs themselves, or found a handy-person who could do that, usually in exchange for something. Part of the thriftiness that was in mode at a simpler time.

Have you noticed today how, whenever something quits working, it’s usually a “circuit board?” And then you’re told it can’t be repaired. Circuit boards can be repaired. It’s just that nobody has learned how to do that. Like instrument clusters on cars. No place to get them fixed, so you just have to buy an entirely-new one. Just more frustration.

I have recently been told of several examples of newer products that broke after a few years and the replacement part was no longer available. Now here is something Congress should pass legislation on !

11. Cheryl G says

I have been looking in vain for burner assemblies for 6-burner 1949 Roper stove. (A disgruntled squater stole those parts so I could not use the stove when he was evicted for failure to pay his rent for over 2 years.) If anyone has any ideas I would be very grateful!

12. Pat Gober says

Any idea where I can find replacement slides for my 60-70’s Era Satin Glide vanity? I’ve already rewired it and p I’ll is he’d the chrome.

13. Janice R says

Looking for 4 valve stem knobs for a 1970 Sears Classic gas range. Sears does not have them. Sent wrong replacement knobs that do not fit. HELP! 🙂

I have a 1950’s General Electric custom kitchen center. The oven still works but needs new clock and timers as it makes a loud buzzing noise. I live in ocean city nj.

15. Mark says

My early 50s Caloric is missing 4 (silver colored) pilot jets from the underside of the top burners… can you help?

Mark, contact the places we write about — I think that in particular, readers find help from The Old Appliance Club. Good luck.

16. Linda Morris says

I have an older GE Toast-R-Oven (A5T50) and cannot for the life of me find a manual online for it. The connector tabs attached to the door mechanism aren’t touching the way they should. Any ideas?

17. Kathryn JB says

I wish I could find a book that shows how to repair vintage fans (not ceiling fans) and things like toasters and radios. There simply isn’t anyone who can do this around me.