Mid century lighting – upload photos of your lights and grow our gallery

To date there are 111 photos of all varieties of original lighting fixtures from 1940s, 1950s, 1960s and 1970s houses in our gallery of Vintage Midcentury Lighting. Over the next several days I’ll open the public uploader – and invite you to upload photos of either (1) the original lighting in your house or (2) the lighting that you have installed. For this gallery, let’s keep it to lighting installed in the ceiling – chandeliers, pendants and ceiling fixtures, as well as swag lighting. I’ll do a separate “lamps” collection at some point.

Do you love the lighting in your house? Share it here –>
Upload photos of the lighting in your house, belowTips:

• (1) Please be courteous and set your camera to no bigger than “medium” images, so files aren’t too large — large files really slow down the slide show and over time increase my costs to run this website.
  • (2) Uploader DOES work but message you get on screen *may be* funky and confusing. Upload ONCE and trust the image it there — I just need to “set new photos free” from my control panel and will be checking hourly to do so.
  • (3) Terms of Use apply.

[ngg_uploader id = 34]
Tips to view slide show: Click on first image… it will enlarge and you can also read my captions… move forward or back via arrows below the photo… you can start or stop at any image:

Comments

1. Nina462 says

Unfortunately, I do not love the lights in my house as they are newer. I’m slowly trying to save the money to buy & have original lights put back in. The lights I have are ok – but were installed to “sell” the house in 2006 (which I bought).
    Meanwhile – today I went to an estate sale – lovely 60’s ranch that had lovely sconces in the master bedroom, an intercom system in the kitchen to the bedrooms & basement ….and the most amazing light I’ve seen – it was a night light in the hallway, installed about shin high. You pushed a button and it would shine down on the floor. How cool is that?

2. Nina462 says

Oh – I forgot to mention. Since I don’t like my lights and a gal at work has a 50’s ranch and she wants to upgrade – we are switching lights, one at a time. It’s a great idea – she gets the new stuff she wants and I get the retro stuff I want.

• gsciencechick says

It’s gorgeous; truly timeless!

What’s so cool about so many of these is that they were either original to the house or incredible bargain finds.

3. Elaine says

I uploaded pix of three of the cool lamps found in the time capsule house. I wish I had pix of the one unlit, but it is in such a dark corner… There are more.

Love this! Our house has pretty boring lighting, as most of the fixtures were changed by previous owners. I’m slowly working on switching them out to vintage of the appropriate era, but it’s getting so much harder to find 1940’s fixtures than it used to be, at least at my normal shopping venues (garage sales and thrift stores).

5. Neil says

My partner has one of those multi-colored acrylic swag lamps – his brother “rescued” 4 of them years ago when a bar in Pittsburgh was being torn down. We would NEVER part with it even though it isn’t in use now!!

6. christina says

I am so glad I stumbled upon this site while trying to find info about vintage tiles. I have a beloved mid ’50’s brick ranch that suffered somewhat at the hands of a flipper. No original light fixtures in the house unless you count the basement florescents 🙂 A friend of mine said lowes has got in a few vintage fixtures in, but i havent seen them yet. I have a ceiling fan .ugh. in the kitchen part of the kitchen (i.e, not the dining area side but the cooking side.) Any advice on what would have been there, or what would look great?

Welcome, Christina. I have lots and lots of stories on lighting, including one I just did about new mid mod style at Lowes. See the category (above): Remodeling Basics / Lighting. Also see the Slide Shows for kitchens, too.

Hey folks! I am new to the blog, but my friend and I have been going back and forth sending links from it. We are both all about everything retro, vintage and antique, and we are both on our way to purchasing our first homes. Recently I hooked her up with a awesome 1950’s era table lamp I found at the local junk store it is the big sister lamp to the ones pictured in 151. Who posted that photo? I would love to ask you about your lamps!

8. Liberty says

Hi,
    I’m thankful for all of your effort and research into these items, it’s very helpful when you’re starting a search & are unfamiliar with certain objects. I wanted to ask if anyone can help me identify the lamp #151 from (Mid century lighting – upload photos of your lights and grow our gallery/Read more: Mid century lighting – upload photos of your lights and grow our gallery – Retro Renovation) – Photo Gallery? My mother has these lamps in her home & 1 of the slip-shades has been broken. I am trying to help her replace them, but don’t know what I should be searching for? Item number 151 is almost identical to what she has now. *Also, if you have any suggestions on websites or companies to search with, that would be most appreciated as well. Thank you for your time. Sincerely, Liberty