“Finish What You Started” Week #3 weigh in

retro wallpaper in the kitchenYabba dabba do — this sure makes me want to sell my “finished” house and buy a new/old one so that I can get all retro-eclectic all over again. Chicken 301 is the one with the groovalistic kitchen. **Platinum star** He/she (?) explains:

I had never wallpapered before and was putting it off, however it was easier than I thought. This is often the case. I think I have caught the wallpaper bug and have just bought 4 rolls of vintage wallpaper on ebay for $66.

Week #3 of Finish What You Started. Upload your photos and show us your productive self –>

What project(s) did you complete in Week #3?
Comment and/or share a photo with the uploader, below

Tips:

• (1) PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE set your camera to no bigger than “medium” images, so files aren’t too large — large files really slow down the slide show and over time increase my costs to run this website.
  • (2) Uploader DOES work but message you get on screen *may be* funky and confusing. Upload ONCE and trust the image it there — I just need to “set new photos free” from my control panel and will be checking hourly to do so.
  • (3) Terms of Use apply.

[ngg_uploader id = 208]
Tips to view slide show: Click on first image… it will enlarge and you can also read my captions… move forward or back via arrows below the photo… you can start or stop at any image:

Comments

I’m bummed that I did not get to finishing the decorative painting in my living room this week, as it was a crazy week with the foster dogs coming and going to vet appointments and new homes….BUT…in the decluttering aspect, I did bring 3 boxes of stuff no longer needed, to the thrift store.

2. Kat R&D says

I LOVE the home made starburt mirror! I’ve been pining for one I found on Amazon a while ago but just couldn’t convince myself that the $300 was worth it, even if I wanted that particular style. I’m inspired!

• Wendy M. says

Thanks! It was super-easy and about $10 to make. Basic instructions- cut styrofoam circle slightly smaller than a flat, round mirror (both from Jo-Ann). Cut wooden skewers at different lengths- I have them at full (12-inch) size, 10″, 8″ and 6″. Push them into the styrofoam using the pointy end until they feel secure. Spray paint both sides (I used Rust-oleum Universal Metalic in Champagne Mist) and allow to dry overnight. Glue the mirror to the front using Gorilla glue (I wet the backside of the mirror, per instructions on the bottle). When it was all dry, I pushed a plastic wall anchor into the styrofoam at an angle on the back that would secure to the head of the nail I was using. Voila! It was a heck of a lot cheaper than the Rejuvenation one I had been coveting! 🙂

3. Lynn-O-Matic says

Very fun and inspiring to see what everyone’s been accomplishing. Can’t wait to send in pix of my own when the time comes.

Pam, I’ve always loved the thrifty finds feature on here, as well. What about alternating Finish What You Started with thrifty finds every other Sunday?

Keep up the good work, everyone!

yes, lynn-o, i think that is a jolly idea and will start doing that! however, i want everyone to keep the PUSH on to Finish What You Started!

4. Jon Hunt says

This weekend:

– Painted hallway (sort of a dusky lime green, matches couch and plays nice with avocado kitchen) and hung HUGE vintage print in vintage frame of streets of Paris
    – Trixi finished painting the bathroom and stenciling atomic stars on the walls
    – Cleaned out the barrel-furniture rec room in the basement which has remained unclean during our entire remodeling process (you have to put the stuff you remove from your rooms SOMEWHERE)
    – finished painting the exterior of the house (pink!)

We were EXTREMELY busy all weekend, but when we were done — we were literally DONE.

I love this ongoing thread! Wendy – thanks for the mirror instructions! I was just going to ask! Denise – I love the orange door! Not only is orange a favorite of mine, but why did I never think of painting the storm door the same color as the door? Great idea!
    Jan

6. clampers says

I love the orange door too! I might paint my door orange at some (distant) point too.

I planted a little apple tree in my yard, in place of the perennials I transplanted earlier this month. Still working on getting organized enough to take pics. Moving will do that to you. 😉

The floors are done! I lurve them! Even with all the imperfections. They are 83 years old, after all. I was actually able to start painting this weekend! Woo hoo!

I’m holding myself accountable through this thread! Thanks again for such a great reminder that I need to finish what I start. I love seeing everyone’s progress. Unfortunately, it just gives me even MORE ideas!

9. Kate B says

I had two extra days to get things done this weekend but unfortunately I feel like I squandered them. I spent a good share of Friday trying to rearrange my living room furniture only to wind up with everything right back where it started, still feeling too crowded. My best accomplishment was cleaning out and reorganizing my bathroom linen cupboards. This led to Operation Use-up– my new campaign to finish off the partial bottles of shampoo and conditioner and body wash I found in there. Most are 1/2 to 2/3rds used– there is just enough left to feel guilty throwing them away. I get bored with bath products after three weeks or so and have a habit of switching to something new before I’ve emptied the old . I guess I will get my fill of switching now! This project could take a while…

I have the same problem. I feel so gosh-darned proud of myself when I finish a bottle of shampoo (or whatever). yikes, aren’t we pampered!

10. Kristy says

I have that same brother galaxie (in yellow too!) It was my mom’s first sewing machine after she got married, which I’ve inherited. Mine is now in a vintage sewing table that I inherited from my granny because the plastic case my mom had has disintegrated due to use. Love!

I’m late to the party, but I just bought a 1961 one and a half story. Trying to unpack, which is slowly progressing. The kitchen is sadly blandly renovated, but I’m looking around for what I can do to de-modernize the house!