Vintage light with movable ceiling track + recessed in-wall toaster

vintage light with movable ceiling trackWe have seen these movable ceiling tracks in homes before, but this is the first time I have ever seen on for sale. I am very tempted. What a great idea. But hey: I do not know whether the track is to code… and I have been told the pulldown mechanism for the light is not to code. So please: Consult with a professional so that you can make informed decisions. Be sure to always have the wiring in your vintage lighting inspected — even New Old Stock. Also in this carousel: A very desirable recessed in-wall toaster!  Tip to using the ebay carousel: To go to a particular item, click on its photo (NOT on the ebay logo) — then, click on the lime green “View and Bid” box, which will take you to ebay. Disclosure: When you buy anything from these ebay carousels or after you click into ebay here, it nets me a teensy commission.

Comments

1. Caroline says

My grandmother had one of those in her living room for years & years. ~10 years ago, her kids took it down to “modernize” her living room & I am told that the fixture met with a shattering end, unfortunately 🙁 I always loved that fixture – I wish I had known they were taking it down, as I would have done it more carefully – for sure!

2. Allen says

Hey Pam,
    I do know that the track on these types of lamps is not electrified whatsoever. Like you said the pull down portion is no longer code but [ pam edited recommendation ]

No kidding. Thanks. I will have to keep an eye on that listing. I have one similar that I have been procrastinating on listing.

The track should be fine. They have stops on both ends. At least it should have. And there must be a way to re-wire the fixture to bring it up to code.

4. Alice says

Squeal!! I love the Midjit Kitchen!

Also, did you notice the acoustical tile in the picture with the pull-down light – I haven’t seen that pattern before.

I love your ebay carousels Pam!

Yes — I saw that acoustical tile and meant to mention it. Thanks, Alice! And thanks for the luv. I try to find and feature the coolest, most unusual, funnest, best value, whats-next, what you all might love, something for everyone, that I can. 🙂

We’ve got one of those sliding track lights, but it doesn’t have, and never had the pull-down part. The orignal fixture looks like a bubble light, but sometimes I switch it out with a Sputnik fixture. Right now, I’ve got a sort of wacky Danish Modern-y sort of fixture on it.

The beauty of it is that as you expand you table for parties, you can slide the fixture so that it is always centered over the table.

I had one of the built-in toasters in my old house. I wasn’t really a fan of it. It has a safety switch to cut the power off if you slide it in while it is on, sort of like the feature on the Fridigaire Flair range. I don’t think the NEC (National Electrical Code) would permit it these days. Probably not, because of the potential for having wall fires from a hot toaster in the wall.

6. linda says

Fantastic finds! Any idea where one can find a replacement part for the “egg-shaped pulldown” part of the light? I went to a local lighting shop (been around since the 1960s) and they were not able to find a replacement part. Thanks in advance!