George Carlin on “Stuff”

“Hey, we’ve got more places than we’ve got stuff! We’re gonna have to buy more stuff!” Ummm. Not exactly. I’m going to clean my basement now. Or, as JKaye says in her Comment:

Way too timely for us. We are dealing with our “stuff” this weekend. We put a bunch of stuff in a storage unit when we put the house up for sale back in the summer, to make the place look better. Then Husband’s mother passed away, and we got the task of dealing with a bunch of her stuff. We whittled her stuff down, and put what was left in our storage unit with our stuff. Then we decided to take the house off the market since nothing had happened for months. In the meantime, my mom gave us a few pieces of her stuff. So this weekend, we are trying to decide which stuff to keep, which to get rid of, what gets dealt with first — do we hang the two great 60s era mirrors from my mom, or do they get stuck behind the couch while we deal with some of the other stuff in the storage unit — thus turning the mirrors into simply more stuff to be dealt with at some other time? Or do we hang the mirrors, and then deal with the other stuff? The plan right now is to hang the mirrors first, but, that involves going to the store to get more stuff to hang the mirrors with. And when we go to the store, you know what that means — we probably will come home with some other stuff too!

Comments

1. Diane says

Love this & I remember it well! George Carlin is truly a classic & lasts the test of time. He always makes me laugh. Thank you for brightening up the start to my weekend & for a thoughtful inspirational website that I can’t live without while living in my mod world!

2. JKaye says

Way too timely for us. We are dealing with our “stuff” this weekend. We put a bunch of stuff in a storage unit when we put the house up for sale back in the summer, to make the place look better. Then Husband’s mother passed away, and we got the task of dealing with a bunch of her stuff. We whittled her stuff down, and put what was left in our storage unit with our stuff. Then we decided to take the house off the market since nothing had happened for months. In the meantime, my mom gave us a few pieces of her stuff. So this weekend, we are trying to decide which stuff to keep, which to get rid of, what gets dealt with first — do we hang the two great 60s era mirrors from my mom, or do they get stuck behind the couch while we deal with some of the other stuff in the storage unit — thus turning the mirrors into simply more stuff to be dealt with at some other time? Or do we hang the mirrors, and then deal with the other stuff? The plan right now is to hang the mirrors first, but, that involves going to the store to get more stuff to hang the mirrors with. And when we go to the store, you know what that means — we probably will come home with some other stuff too!

But, at least we started off the morning with a big laugh, thanks to George Carlin, and Pam.

“Stuff” is on my mind. My husband and I are a childless couple. Now with the death of my mother what do I do with her “stuff”? I really don’t want to burden anyone with our “stuff” so I am making a vow to stop at buying “stuff” with no purpose or value. The upside is I won’t have to dust anymore cute ceramic figurines of skunks 🙂

4. Cheryl says

Instead of getting people Stuff for Holidays, give yourself, your time, a rental at the beach next summer. I was thoroughly disgusted with the holidays until I discovered this. Then for me, I donate what *I* would want – warmth (Local Area Fuel Fund), a hot meal (food bank), a puppy (animal shelter), and a comedy show (local arts collective)!

thanks Pam for that wonderful, wonderful clip. George Carline was spicy and funny, and sometimes, very wise.

Staging my house last year to sell it helped me realize how much “stuff” (I actually usually think of two other words, one starting with “s” and the other with “c”) I had, and living without it for 6 months helped me realize how much better I liked living without it. I had a storage unit full of the stuff I didn’t want in the house while showing it. I actually missed only two items. (But, sadly, I did move all that stuff in the storage unit. Even when we know, it’s still hard to let go. Most of it has since been given away.)

6. gsciencechick says

Oh, yes, with many of us in “smaller” mid-century homes, this is certainly a problem. I have to remind myself that our home used to be considered the right size for a family, and there are only two of us and two cats! Plus, we have recently acquired some great vintage pieces, which has led to even more stuff in a small space. At least DH is now more agreeable to getting rid of stuf when he priced that a storage rental would be $50 per month.