Unusual plastic window shades in 1961 midcentury modern bathroom

retro plastic window shadesThese vintage plastic window shades, which seem to be original to Todd’s 1961 house — are fabulous. They appear to be basket-weave plastic, on a track like a shower door, but accordian-style. I’ve never seen them before. Does anyone else have them? Does anyone know about them? Yum. Todd writes:

Does anyone know where I can get these types of plastic shades? Our house was built in 1961, its a mid century modern, and only 3 windows left have these as the previous owners junked all the rest (as we found pieces of them here and there in the back yard).

Comments

1. Rose says

I too had these plastic woven blinds in my house which we bought in 2007 the blinds were left behind by the previous owners. The house was built in the 60’s. We have since sold the house and left the blinds behind but I would love to have them in my new home. So please if anyone knows where I can find the company that made them or if they are still being made.

• Lesley says

The company is long since gone I’m afraid. Someone bought it in the late 69’s and tried to revive it, but it disappears completely by 73.

• Linzey says

I have quite a few in all different sizes and lengths and the tracks you put them on ,I brought them 3 years in an estate sale , they have been sitting in my storage unit, so time to get rid of them .

2. Todd says

Thanks for the feedback about my plastic shades. Very interesting ideas you all have. I hope to find some originals someday that I can retrofit into this existing home.

3. Althea Hathaway says

This window covering product was produced by Jaylis in the late 1950s and 1960s. My interior design and decor dad was a vendor. I’ve tried to research them, but to no avail. I think they should be reproduced.
    Good luck, folks. Althea, Oakland, CA

4. Lesley rose says

They are called Jaylis and my parents made and sold them in the mid sixties in LA and for 6 months in Alaska. My grandmother had them in her home for many years. I am searching for any old sets I can find. Even as a 9 yr old I helped build them.

5. Lesley rose says

The corp name etc expired in 2000 even tho they haven’t been made in at least 40 yrs. I would love to see them enjoy a comeback

• Robert Corsini says

Hi Lesley. I need to repair a couple sections that have broken pieces. I have plenty of replacements but I’m having trouble figuring out how to repair the top and or bottom accordion sections. Any advice?

• Amy Kemper says

Hi, I have some of these blinds. I just pulled them out of my storage shed and was going to put them online and see if anyone was interested in them. I can get the measurements, pictures, etc if you are interested. Unfortuantely, I didn’t keep the track when I took them down, right after we bought the house. The house was built in 1953, not sure when these window treatments went in. They are pretty funky. Let me know if this is something you may be interested in.

Amy, Adrian cannot see your email etc. Also, I really discourage buying/selling on the blog, or else it becomes chaos.

I had these Jaylis draperies when I lived in my house and they were in almost every room and in many colors. If anyone knows where I can get them, please let me know. They are the easiest to clean and provide privacy while letting in the light.
    I’d get them again if only I could find them.
    Micki

7. Linzey says

I have quite a few original 196s Jaylis blinds in different sizes and lengths ,and also the tracks you hang them on.
    I brought them at an estate sale 3 years ago they are still sitting in my storage unit, now it’s time to get ride of them.
    The house I got them from,they were in every room.

8. Neil says

I just bought two sections in the jade green at an estate sale here in San Francisco. And I got three sections of track with them. Don’t know what I’m going to do with them since I don’t have a midcentury house; probably sell them if I can find a taker.

9. Linzey says

I have quite a few original jaylis plastic shades, different sizes, they came out of a midcentery house that was being remodeled.
    If you are interested you can call me at (415) 336-1594.

10. Craig says

I have found a original receipt from 1963. in my parents paper work for a Jaylis purchase for the house I grew up in.
    Jaylis center, Howard E. Nelson Co. 324 N. Citrus Covina California