Midcentury kitchen history in 4 minutes, with soundtrack: We Didn’t Start the Fire

Reader Just another Pam found this video — a 4 minute musical tour through midcentury kitchen history — courtesy Billy Joel. Hey, those set designers pretty much get it right! Thank you, Pam!

Comments

1. Wendy M. says

It was interesting to watch that while focusing on the set design. The thing that struck me the most was how it seemed like a natural sort of evolution until it shifted from the ’70’s to the ’80’s. That seemed like a deliberate 180-degree turn- I guess I never really noticed how dramatically design changed in those years (although nobody I knew then had a sleek, all white house anyway!)
    Hope all of you have a great weekend!

2. Retrosandie says

This is quite interesting! I focused on the changing kitchen, too. Amazing how things change-sometimes it seems within the blink of an eye!!! 🙂

3. TappanTrailerTami says

Wow – looks pretty darned accurate, well except maybe the room size….even now most people would *swoon* to have a kitchen area that large!

4. Patty says

One thought that crossed my mind was, hey, I don’t remember anything hanging on the refrigerator in the ’60s. So I googled and according to wikipedia, the first patent for a refrigerator magnet was obtained in 1969 by Dennis Buchanan of Mongolia. In the U.S., William Zimmerman of ST LOUIS, Missouri, obtained a patent in the early 1970s. Fun video!

5. Jill says

Patty: I’m glad you noted that…because I’ve seen refrigerator magnets on the fridge in the Draper house on “Mad Men” and thought it odd. It’s funny how a show that pays so much attention to period detail would be so sloppy about this.

6. Mariella Morton says

I almost sent you this video last Sunday! I can’t believe that someone else was thinking the same thing!

7. Anastasia says

Anyone else find it funny that the “bland, boring” 80’s houses are the only ones to burn? OR that as the houses started to be more and more cookie cutter, there was more rebellion (yes I consider taking Uppers to be a sign of rebellion, or change)