Light switch covers in vintage designs add easy retro style

pink kitchen wall plate cover from SanDiegoVintage on etsyReader Hannah spotted the NOS light switch cover of a pink coffee pot (above) on etsy.com, and posted it to our Facebook fan page. I immediately Shared it, and yes, it sold in like 20 minutes, even though it was quite expensive, $38. I reached out to the owner of the etsy shop, Ilze of San Diego Vintage, who gave me her permission to feature her photographs. After she told me she was regular reader of the blog, she explained the piece’s provenance:

The switch plate came out of an estate sale here in San Diego …. it would have gone in the trash if I hadn’t rescued it…. And while it wouldn’t go with my turquoise wall oven, I have a feeling down the road I may regret selling it when I find the pink kitchen of my dreams. I honestly priced it so high because I didn’t really want to sell it. Thank you so much for selling it for me. I really, truly appreciate it. Hope all is well and keep it up… Save the pink bathrooms! (and the pink kitchens too!)

pink plastic coffee pot light switch cover

No sour pusses, please, at the price. “the rare is the good”, and that pink plastic coffee pot switch plate was a sweetheart. Two other readers say they have it in turquoise. Thanks, Ilze, and thank, Hannah! Keep those finds coming!

pink coffee pot Keep your eyes peeled on ebay, etsy and estate sales and shops, and you for sure can find all kinds of novelty light switch covers, from $1 on up. Here are some I like on ebay right now:

Tip to using the ebay carousel: To go to a particular item, click on its photo (NOT on the ebay logo) — then, click on the lime green “View and Bid” box, which will take you to ebay. Disclosure: When you buy anything from these ebay carousels or after you click into ebay here, it nets me a teensy commission.

Comments

1. hannah says

Oh no! *egg on my face*

Completely understand pricing high because she didn’t know if she wanted it to sell. The local flea market we go to, sometimes that’s the case with one of the vendors there (he’s an old friend of hubbies from the hippie days, so he’s honest with us about things like that). We do get attached to some items. My apologies. 🙂

I love shopping for vintage switch plates – all ours in the house are just white plastic at the moment save for one hammered copper one I purchased off Etsy.

2. TappanTrailerTami says

Haha, love the x-rated one, but Jack and Jill are just the CUTEST faces ever!

Love the coffee pot too, kudos to the buyer.

3. Joyce Wagner says

Thanks for the great post on these light covers. Thanks to you I am now going to be the proud owner of the Jack and Jill one! I have collected other items that are similar and am using them in a faux 50’s baby room with some of my original baby items (I’m 51 now). I’d have never found this great light cover! thanks again!

4. Ann-Marie Meyers says

Most of those are so cute I would pay the price. I don’t know if I need a gold plated one, though. All my light switches are double or triple ones, so these are no use to me. Guess I will just have to use my own creativity when it comes time to do the tiny touches.

5. Kim says

We had that Cat-and-the-Fiddle switchplate in my baby sister’s room! (She’ll be 39 in two weeks, heh.) Thanks, Pam–so often, I don’t even know what it is I’m looking for on eBay, until you feature an item and immerse me in total flashback once again. 🙂

6. clampers says

P.S., just read your related post, “Vintage wallplates – An easy jolt of retro”…you have convinced me to keep my vintage switchplates. Since I moved in I’ve been like “eh” about them but now I’m going to keep them because you’re right, they are more interesting than the plain ones sold today.

So I think I will just give them all a nice scrub instead of replacing. That’s easier anyway than replacing everything. And I definitely prefer the easy way out. 😉

Yes, I have collected the ribbed beige ones for most switches in my house. I’ve done several stories on this…

7. Roseann says

In response to Ilze’s comment about wanting a Pink kitchen…My husband and I are ALWAYS mid-century shopping and we stumbled upon a store in Las Vegas called Retro Las Vegas { http://retro-vegas.com } and they are selling a COMPLETE and Fabulous pink kitchen, appliance and all. If you haven’t seen it look it up under storage it’s on the last page

8. JKaye says

That pink coffeepot switchplate is as cute as buttons and lollipops and kittens. I love how the packaging says it will add to the beauty of your home.

That “Love is…” switchplate, on the other hand — I swear I want to get a hammer and smash it. I can tell Laura E. knows what I’m talking about.

9. Chutti says

Ooohhoohh…..switchplates, DRoooool.

I can’t get with the “love is..” either, but understand how it rates on the Kitsch-o-meter.

The Irmi one with the little fiddler rings my chimes, though.
    I had a swell one of those with some 3-D animals. The problem is that the plate itself is SO THICK I couldn’t install it without actually removing drywall! So back it went in the box.

I absolutely LOVE anything Irmi. Does anyone else remember the little lamps for children’s rooms with the clowns or the cow jumping over the moon? 20 years ago I saw a glorious collection of the clown ones in ? an IT guy’s man cave??? Just LOVE those.

A quick search found a Flickr group with Irmi images….

So cute! Sigh……

Dear Pam, I’ve collected these for years, before the rest of you discovered them. I have a chief in my kitchen, white poodle in the hall, pink angelfish, black swan ( together with retro border with white swans on a black ground) in the back hall, and tourquoise swan in my bedroom. I had not seen a pink coffee pot however….