Love pit — 1970s style sectionals from Z Galleries

1970s style sectional1970s style sectional

1970s style sectionalPut an ottoman into the center of a u-shaped sectional and you have yourself a good old fashioned 1970s love pit. I know, I know. I’ve been doing too much on the ’70s lately. These “Cloud” modular sectionals might even be considered 1980s-esque (?). Reader Tara spotted them when she was doing more research in relation to my story about 28 places to buy affordable midcentury style sofas. These Clouds certainly remind me — in spirit at least — of the Love Pits we saw when we looked at all the 1976 Kroehler sofas and living rooms.

I guess they also have a sort of ’70s Italian vibe. I need to get schooled — we must have some readers who know who to classify these sectionals in the interior design sofa design evolutionary timeline. Declare yourselves! Illuminate! Meanwhile, I will continue to try and keep mixing things up here. I’m working on more stories about 1920s and 1930s interior design and houses, especially when it come to Romantic Revival homes and small cottages… and I know lots of readers want more from the 1940s, too. The siren song of the seventies, my teenage years, will always be with me, though, I forewarn. Link: Cloud Modular Sectionals from Z Galleries.

Comments

1. Preston says

Is that Isaac Hayes I am hear singing in the background this morning??? Todays article definately doesn’t bring back childhood memories ….lol!

I think I need a love pit. No, I know I need a love pit. That would be awesome in our basement family room. I just need them to be $4,000 less 😉

3. Annie B. says

Or maybe Barry White.

Good golly, you could park your Chevy Love Van in the middle of that thing.

Great post, considering that I’ve been sofa shopping for the past ten days for a ’70’s style to go with my vintage ’70’s arabesque flooring. Z Galleries has a lot to like.

4. Allen says

B&B Italia’s “Camaleonda” modular sofa designed by Mario Bellini in the early 1970’s may have been the starting point for this type of sofa.

5. Jon Hunt says

THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS TOO MUCH ON THE 70s. Seriously! It is a sadly neglected, sadly maligned, super-fun decade. Who doesn’t need a good conversation pit? Even if you have a 50s house, why not have a 70s basement??

6. oldgun31 says

You’ll need wall to wall shag carpet and a hot tub in any room with that bad boy. I like the idea of it but its just to big for my house . its not the size ,just how big it looks.

.Health code limits your choices to leather for most swing clubs, so no cloth is available for that one.

I must politely disagree. However, I know that I am an anomaly. I don’t think that you have covered too much 70’s stuff. Of course, I am a big 70’s fan and I realize that most folks on here are not.

8. gsciencechick says

Is pretty cool, but we can’t even work with a smaller sectional like those we looked at from Younger.

• Mrs. Shrub says

I just put this set (in white) on order. Should be here in a few weeks! Our mid sixties ranch living room will never be the same. This room has blond wood trim and a blond wood divider next to the front door. I am ditching the darker wood pieces in the room and am now trying to decide on paint colors. HELP!

9. kristina mahan says

I’m really wanting to get this couch in grey. I have wood tile floors and I am about to repaint the living room. Any suggestions on a paint color? Do I have to do a grey? Can I do a brown or beige color for the walls? I’m afraid the dark brown couch with blend too much with my wood tile floors– and white just seems too crazy for me.