• Mamie pink 4″x6″ bathroom tiles, Monument Mountain High School, Great Barrington, Mass.

pink bathroom Vintage pink bathroom tile. We see it all the time. But….this is 4″ x 6″ pink bathroom tile, run vertically. So it qualifies as a wonderful oddity — a woddity. Lookie that nice Hallmack glass shelf with chrome bracket too. A perfectly beautiful shade of Mamie Eisenhower pink.

This story goes under the “Hmmmm, Let’s See What’s in My Photo Files?” file. I took it more than a year ago. It is inside the girl’s bathroom at Monument Mountain High School, down the road from me, in Great Barrington, Mass.

I was at a garden lecture that Margaret gave in connection with the launch of her book. There were other people walking in and out of this bathroom, wondering, surely, who was that nutcase snapping photos. Yes, I am a woddity, too. I think I asked one of them to take a picture of me sitting against the wall. However, I did not like how I looked in that photo, not even with all the retro botox aka pink bathroom tile reflecting deliciously all over me.

I do not know whether you can even get 4″ x 6″ tiles anywhere today. I have a vague recollection of seeing the size listed in a vintage catalog or brochure some time; among my piles somewhere, someday will dig it up. And, I am not sure whether I even *like* this look. It is strange to me. Things look *strange* when you are not accustomed to them. Just as vintage pink bathrooms — even with *plain* 4×4 tiles — may initially repel the uninitiated. The 4×6 tiles railroaded vertically certainly seem to create “height”, compared to what you’d get with a 4×4.

Alas, I bet the girls down at Monument don’t know what a vintage treasure they are experiencing.

Read all my pink bathroom stories here.

• Get our retrolicious free newsletter.

Comments

1. Never mind the pink tile, I agree; the size is disconcering. It was the glass and chrome shelves that caught my eye. I would love one of these over my loo.

2. That tile looks to be in great shape considering it’s in a high school bathroom. I think the larger tiles look kinda neat.

3. clampers says:

Yes! This is bringing back school-days memories for me. I am pretty sure I had a Mamie-pink public school bathroom at some point…maybe elementary school…

4. Puddletown Cheryl says:

I think this size was used usually in institutional settings. Makes sense, bigger bathrooms bigger tiles.

5. Megan Chandler says:

Looks very similar to the pink bathrooms in my high school in Springfield, MO, (built in the 50s). Our wall tiles went horizontally and there were a a few green tiles mixed in the floor tile. The bathrooms even came with a novel female urinal, which one used. I used to hate the pink because I thought it was just for girls, but now I truly appreciate it.

6. Forget the fact that it’s pink – forget the tile size, the shelf bracket, etc. I can’t believe how CLEAN this bathroom is! A high school? I have never seen a bathroom this clean in any high school I’ve attended or my kids have attended.
      Kudos to the cleaning team!

7. Annie B. says:

I really love the pink stall doors.

8. I was just doing some research for my upcoming pink bathroom mood board for my Master Bath remodel and I found that Cinca tiles come in 4×8, 6×6 & 8×8 in a few shades of pink!

Personally I like the coral pink, but the champagne pink is a nice retro pink!

9. Retrosandie says:

WOW! It’s beautiful! I love the way it looks. And it looks like beautiful condition and sooo clean!!! Kudos to the high school maintenance dept. for keeping it so nice for so many years!! Lucky girls! So….is the Boys bathroom BLUE??????? (Pam, ya gotta check it out, too!!!) :)

10. My elementary school, which is gone – sadly, was pink and turquoise.

The roof line, columns, doors, and other details were painted pink. The metal panels down below the crank-out windows were blue. (I think. It’s been a looooooonnnng time…. but I’m totally sure about the pepto bismol pink!!!!!!!!)

Crazy, huh? Can’t believe I don’t remember the bathrooms…..

11. I can hardly believe they didn’t tear this out, and that it’s in such nice condition. Wonderful!

It still makes me sad that my elementary school tore out the foot-lever fountain-style sinks. Those were wonderful!

• Oh, I remember when they put those in my school, 1954 it was, big round granite fountains with a hose around the bottom that you stepped on to make water come out and then, little lines of water came out of a pipe al the way around the sink. I loved those sinks! I was in first grade and thought there could be nothing so modern and impressive.

• We still have those sinks in the school system that I work for. We have pink bathrooms too, in two of the buildings. It’s more of a pepto pink though. Yellow for the boys.

• We had those too!! I was in Grade One (so that would be 1970!) in the girls bathroom- we all loved stepping on the rubber ring thing with our feet to make the water spray out! Never seen one since!!

12. WOW! That’s great. They must take very good care of their schools in Mass. They treat our schools like trash around here just so they can try and get a new one built and then start all over again. It’s sad but I have been able to get some mid-century building materials from some of them over the years.

13. this is my favorite shade of pink! what a great HS bathroom – i’d be studying in there all day:D

14. Mary Trimboli says:

Looks just like the ladies restroom in the church in which I grew up. Ah, the memories!

15. As another poster said, I can’t believe the great condition it’s all in considering it’s in a school bathroom! it’s ALL lovely.

16. judy h. says:

They must have had some very well behaved and respectful students all of these years for that bathroom to be in the condition it is!

17. gsciencechick says:

Wow, everything looks like it’s in pristine condition.

18. Cracks me right up. I can’t take you *anywhere*. : )

19. That is the cleanest and best maintained public school bathroom I have ever seen in my entire life. It looks brand new. And the stall doors! The chrome and glass shelves! All spotless. Do they have a bathroom monitor?

20. Wow! A treasure indeed and so CLEAN looking. I’m surprised the glass bits have survived intact, especially.

21. Susan C says:

While STILL waiting to close escrow on my MC-M house with the Mamie pink bathroom and Hall-Mack accessories, I got to thinking the pink bathroom tiles may be 4×6 and came back to look at this post. Then I looked at Margaret’s book and discovered that she used to work with my old roommate Liz. Small world indeed.

22. I can’t help but notice all the vintage tile in old schools, hospitals and churches. I know so many that do not appreciate how beautiful they are.