26,031 vintage newspaper, AP and UPI press photos

Buckle up and plan to spend several hours — or days — looking through the 26,031 vintage newspaper and press photos that this ebay seller has stockpiled — great for custom displays. Seems his thing is to buy up complete archives of defunct newspapers… to catalog them… and to put them up for sale. Pretty impressive. I went through several pages, and found 10 to showcase in my ebay carousel. Tip to using the ebay carousel:  To go to a particular item, click on its photo (NOT on the ebay logo) — then, click on the lime green “View and Bid” box, which will take you to the item on ebay. If you are on an Apple product that cannot read flash, try clicking press photos on ebay hereAND READ THIS: This particular carousel only shows 10 designs. The seller has more — as I write this, more than 26,000 vintage newspaper photos. To get to these: Once you are in ebay and looking at one item, go to “See other items”, and you will get to his pages. Once there, you can use the search bar to search names, cities, years, topics. Or, just don’t leave your house for a week or so, and scroll them all. Disclosure: When you buy anything from these ebay carousels or after you click into ebay here, it nets me a teensy commission.

Comments

These are absolutely wonderful, but I feel I must add a cautionary note since I’m “in the business.” Both news wires and Associated Press in particular tightly control use of their photos, even archived ones, and retain ongoing intellectual property rights. Selling, purchasing and collecting these prints is fine. Reproducing them or using them in any other context may need permission for use.

Yes, Laura, that is why I did not post any of these photos, even though I had the seller’s permission — I just put them into the carousel!

• says

I recently spent several hours in my town’s historical society going through the newspaper photo archive (the newspaper here retains rights, and the historical society is the caretaker). It was a great way to spend an afternoon. Newspapers cover the news in the here and now, but document history for us later. It was fascinating to see how my town lived the 50’s, from the clothing to how Main Street buildings looked. It was so absorbing I lost track of time! I was working on another project, but the curators there told me they might have info specifically on my home. I can’t wait to find out!

Yes, ipads can’t handle flash or something like that. That is why, in my text, I provide a link for Apple users to click…

2. Elaine says

That room size computer is great! I remember those. American Motors had one like that in the 60s, in its own big room kept cool before the whole building had central air. My mom worked there and made a point of showing us kids the future. No one suspected then that computers would one day be small enough to hold in your hand.

3. Annie B. says

I wish I could buy them all and wallpaper my entire house with them.
    How totally glorious to have these treasures in your possession. I’d never leave home.

• Elaine says

That would be a really vintage decor! My Great Grandparents had their kitchen wallpapered with newspaper, the whole thing. It was common out in the country at that time. You could sit there and eat your lunch and read the articles. OK, so it was the same articles all the time. They redid the wallpaper every couple years, so you got new articles.

4. Angela says

Wow! What a find. If I had a million dollars I’d buy the ones for my state and donate them to the historical society.

5. nina462 says

just what I need, like my own collection of vintage magazines isn’t enough to while away the day 🙂