• A little bit tiki, a little bit rock ‘n roll: John asks for basement window treatment ideas

John’s basement is a little bit tiki, a little bit rock ‘n roll — it’s pretty fabulous, actually. Now, John needs to finish the room — with some cheap, cheerful, effective and aesthetically pleasing window treatments for his small basement windows. I bet the design of these windows looks familiar to a lot of people; classique. So –what do you think that John should do for window treatments? Read on for his complete question and more pics, and then, let’s hear your ideas. John writes:

hi pam,

a few friends and i have been facebook fans of yours for a while now, using it for inspiration. i have a 1968 ranch in a suburb of boston. we’re putting the finishing touches on the two windows.

they’re nearly side by side and measure 32″x16″.

we were hoping to find this kind of shutter (above), but haven’t had any luck finding them in the right size. we are completely open to a different way to go. we’d like them open by day and closed by night. we can’t justify spending the $ on custom built for the basement. any ideas for a manufacturer or a different solution?

thanks, john
    Terrific room, John. I’m ready to come over for a few Suffering Bastards and end up dancing on the coffee table when Love Shack comes on the eight track. But, yes, you need to get window treatments first, so’s we can keep out the paparazzi.

Readers, what are your window treatments ideas for
     John’s Tiki Rock n’ Roll basement windows?

• Get our retrolicious free newsletter.

Comments

1. Short pinch pleats in tropical barkcloth on traverse rods.

Great to see you’ve got the uke to go with the decor. Do you play it?

2. I go with Lisa’s idea! Lindmon venetian blind from Ikea.
      I wanted shutters in my bathroom, but the tap makes it impossible to open them, so I bought similar wooden blinds, looks great!

Still, are you planning to stay in the brown colorschemes?
      I’d say get some yellow curtains with leaves- or fruitprint.
      Just to add some juicy joy.

3. John, You can possibly find these interior shutters on Craigslist. I have been looking for big exterior shutters for the past few weeks and come across the interior ones quite frequently. Give it a try!

4. Well, if it were my basement, I would make my own custom fit shutters. Basically a miniaturized version of a room divider but with only two little folding hinged panels for each side of the window. Nothing fancy. Not louvered. What I would use is maybe some 1×1 or 1×2 or 2×2 for the basic outside frame and then see if i could find some of that really great textured acrylic sheets like the one’s used in drop ceilings over light fixtures. I probably wouldn’t use those basic cracked ice looking ones but I think they make some really cool looking acrylic sheets like with grass, capiz shells, stuff like that embedded in. Or if you’re handy with a jig saw you could cut out a really cool pattern of circles or whatever in some very thin plywood and sandwich some rice paper in between and use that for the filler of the basic frame. The possibilities could be endless. And even better if you could make it all out of recycled, or old found stuff.

5. Another thought if you don’t want to build the basic frame from scratch, you can get frame kits for picture frames. They come in all sizes so you could get all the pieces to make 4 8×16 frames, hinge a couple together for each side and then fill the frame with whatever you want: fabric, decorative paper, photos, etc, etc.

6. Bux….We have the typical original short pleated curtains on thin rods in our ’63. As we are redoing, the basement, I have thought about going with full length ones for the reasons you suggested-illusion of larger, above ground window, sound baffle, warming-and to visually normalize the room dimensions. Our windows are on the short wall of a very long narrow room. Anyhow, good to know someone else has done long curtains on short windows and is please with the result!

• bux1234567 says:

Ima Pam,

Cool, I’d love to see pics of how your basement with full-length pinch pleats turned out. I’d send pics of mine if you’re interested.

7. I have roman shades in the basement of my 1962 ranch. They are, oddly enough, striped horizontally rather than vertically, in gold and maroon-y colors. I can’t take a picture right now because, shhhhh, I’m at work. They came with the house so I’m thinking they’re close to original? They look old to me, ’cause they are really well made and perfect for the windows. The other windows in the basement have wooden shutters with lace curtains inset in them, which HAVE to be original.

I’m pretty sure that roman shades would be cheaper than pinch pleat drapes. Don’t get me wrong – I love those floor to ceiling drapes and they would look super in John’s basement. But I priced them for my living room and OUCH!

But anybody who loves tiki gods will surely make a great decision regardless!

8. I really like that little tiki

9. Yes, definitely bamboo!

10. Lynn-O-Matic says:

Wow, her stuff is terrific! Thanks for turning me on to her!

11. Lynn-O-Matic says:

That message was supposed to be in response to Sputnik Housewares re: Dawn Frasier. Don’t know why it didn’t nest like it normally does.

12. Lynn-O-Matic says:

I’d consider matchstick bamboo blinds or wooden venetian blinds with barkcloth curtains layered over. That’s a pretty classic tropical/tiki look. The matchsticks let in a lot of light, almost like sheers, and blinds can be adjusted to direct the light in different directions, so they give you lots of options. Whatever you do, I assume you’re also going to include the door in the new window coverings?

13. You really can’t go halfway with tiki. My vote is to get some hawaiian fabric and make short, cheap curtains like a lot of us remember our moms making for our basements.

14. Hang a grass skirt across the window and accent it with a barkcloth valence; you can use curtain hold-backs to keep the grass skirt open during the day. Haha, I’m just kidding. I do like the idea of incorporating some fun, bright barkcloth though. The bamboo shades aren’t a bad idea either, but may blend with the wall a little too much.

15. I’d add some color with a cool Hawaiian print of, like, guys surfing while playing guitars, stretched over 2 frames slightly larger than the window. Then you can mount them on “flagpoles” made from one of those old floor-to-ceiling shelving units–the poles with the springs inside. (Ditch the dented metal shelves and just use the poles.) Flip the frame one way–it’s a window covering, flip it the other way, it’s a picture on the wall.

You could even use 2 different fabrics, one on each side of the frame for a day/night theme…..

16. lynda davis says:

Very fun. And here is the perfect fridge!

17. tiki room john says:

aloha all, you guys are great. what a creative bunch. thanks so much for all the suggestions, it’s gonna take us a little to process it all. i like all your ideas, it’s just gonna take figuring out what’ll work best for us. barkcloth is high on the list though. that one with the ukes on it looks awesome. i’ll keep you posted.

18. Randy Gaston says:

Ikea sells several flat panel curtain systems that I think would work well in your situation. Basically they are flat panel curtains that can be slid back over the wall. If you cover them with the same wallpaper you used on that wall, they will be practically invisible open or closed.

19. Erik the Red says:

Hi John,
      Great looking space! I agree with Sputnik’s plug for Dawn Frasier’s retro fabric designs. I think that colors that “pop” would be better suited towards pillows and art, not the window treatments.
      I have a couple suggests since your space has so little tiki.
      How about make the treatments look like Marshall speakers covers. Of course you should get the Marshall mini fridge to match. The covers could be hinged so they can attach to the ceiling when open.
      Or, framed art, also hinged. Depending on style of art, you could back light it for a nice night time look. Imagine faux fish tanks. Notice that the “pop” could work because of the suggestion of art.
      Cheers!!
      Erik

20. I love bux’s idea of full length drapes. I would do that, no question, if it didn’t obscure the only wall with that fabulous wallcovering!

Alternatively, something clean and tailored would benefit, as the room is already busy. I love the idea of matchstick blinds and spray-painting them a zingy color. If you aren’t serious about privacy, this is a great, cheap solution.

Another tailored idea is roller shades with the fabric of your choice laminated onto them. This is an inexpensive DIY project. It will also give full privacy.

Another full-privacy solution: Two hinged frames that open and close on either side of each window, but set inside the windows, on the same plane as the wall. I’d cover these frames in barkcloth on both sides so that there’s no “wrong” side when they are open. I’d choose hinges which allow the shutters to open all the way, so that they rest against the wall when open. Tailoring with these details in mind would allow you to go crazy with the fabrics, while not increasing the clutter factor.