30 stylish sofa sectionals available today

In 2011, I did a ton of research and identified 28 places to buy an affordable midcentury modern style sofa. Now, I’m following up with mega-research on midcentury modern style sectionals — and so far I’ve we’ve found 25 29. Sectionals are very popular today, because we all spend a lot of time lounging around the TV. And good news if you want this style — there is precedent in midcentury America.

For this research exercise:

• Key criteria: Upholstered backs — I do not want to see pillows that are separate. “Tailored” is important, as is overall scale and lines that do not make the sectionals look like they are on steroids.
  • Some of these are more “modern” or post-modern than “mid century modern”. I gave some latitude.
  • The list is re-ordered to roughly correspond to the order I like the sectionals. But I recognize: Different strokes for different folks.
  • Please note that many of manufacturers listed make more than one design. To maintain my sanity, I show only about two per manufacturer. If you are shopping, you must dive into their websites to see them all. With this list, at least, you have a starting place — I’ve linked the retailers’ Sectional Pages, rather than individual sectionals.

Room and Board: Room and Board delivered the best-looking sectional, in my opinion: The Reese. A curve in the middle — YES! Yes, this is the most authentic midcentury look, I think. My vintage sectional, purchased at an estate sale a few years ago: Curved, just like the Reese. And, the Reese comes in a variety of non-greige colors like Spice and Teal.

You can also order the Reese without the curve.

Link: Sofa sectionals from Room & Board.

Thrive Home Furnishings:  Info coming in – four good looking sectionals at Thrive, and Made in the USA. Link: Midcentury modern style sectionals at Thrive.

***

True Modern: True Modern’s Dane line seems to offer a good variety of modular pieces that you can put together to create a custom sectional. (Not just big sectionals like this). I am not sure if the cushion backs are affixed or not; but, they do have a nice tailored look, which is part of my criteria on this search. True Modern also gets near the top because they 22 colors — including some “real” colors.

Link: True Modern sectionals.

***

Stressless: These Stressless Paradise sectionals (above and below) are expensive — like, starting at $10,88 — but they are oh so 70s 80s retro, I luv them. They are made in Norway — authentic “Scandinavian Modern.”

They are leather. They have all kinds of comfortable features. And they come in great, classic colors like hunter green.

Stressless’ Kelsey sectional, above, also makes my list — for the funk factor and because I love this photo with the great big plum color block. Brillian! LUV!

Link: The Stressless brand is sold at a variety of retailers across the U.S. These photos of Stressless sectionals are from Dania.

***

Plummers: Over at Plummers, which seems to be a sister company to Dania, I also found the Francesca sectional, above. It has modern lines… “Euro” maybe even. Heck if I know where to draw the lines between midcentury modern and plain old today’s modern — so much of today’s modern is so derivative of midcentury modern…If anyone can illuminate on this issue, please do.

Link: Sectionals at Plummers.

***

Younger Furniture: Younger Furniture has lots of great looking mid century style sofas, sectionals and chairs. The sectional above seems to be new, part of their “Younger Solutions” line.

modern sectionalAbove: Younger Furniture also has introduced a new line, Avenue 62, which has this lovely in it.

I’m also a fan of the 1970s style Grace sectional (above.) I used this one to make a 1970s mood board. Luv the corduroy.

Okay and I’m breaking my “only two” from each manufacturer rule. You can even do big plush 1980s, with the the Maria (above). I bet you can buy ottomen, put them in the center — and turn this into a Love Pit even!

Link: Midcentury style sectionals and modulars by Younger Furniture.

Z Galleries
: Sticking with groovalistic postmodern — luv the love pit from Z Galleries. Available in three colors of leather.

Link: Love pit sectional from Z Galleries.

***

Rowe: Rowe had a few sectionals with well-scaled midcentury lines. Martin sectional — above.

Dorset sectional — above.

Link: Sectionals from Rowe.

***

Room and Board also has the Dean sectional, above.

Link: Sectionals from Room & Board.

***

Lee Industries: The only thing I found at Lee Industries, was a page showing various pieces of their 1972-Series sectional. Looks like you can make a big, curved 1970s or 80s style sectional, or even a love pit, with these.

Link: Sectionals from Lee Industries.

***

Monarch Sofas, formerly known as Sofa Craft, are made in the USA. They say they can turn any sofa design — like the Lorena, above, into a sectional.

I also like the Amanda, above — tufting with buttons on the upholstered back is good midcentury detail.

On their site, they also seem to indicate they can make a “wedge” — that is, make a curved sectional.

Link: Sectionals from Monarch Sofas.

***

Gus Modern: Gus Modern is for sure working this market segment. Above: Spencer sectional.

Above: Jane sectional. They also have the Atwood, which is noted as new, but it is too upright, I think.

Link: Midcentury style sectionals from Gus Modern.

###

West Elm: West Elm’s designs are not quite MCM, but I’ll show two that would be adaptable. Above: Lorimer.

And Tillary quite tickles my fancy. Those wedge backs are so Day Bed. But the overall look: Last days of disco? This shape — resurgent days ahead, for sure.

Link: Sectionals from West Elm.

***

EQ3: This company seems to be mostly in Canada, with some stores in the U.S. The small Reverie sectional, above — a sofa with a chaise, really — looks nice.

Link: EQ3 sectionals.

***

Ikea: I imagine that it would be hard to beat the prices at Ikea. In this mega-survey of sectionals, I am not being Consumer Reports and testing. Dollar for dollar, who provides the best value? I can’t say… Above: Ikea Karlstad in leather, around $1500.

Ikea Karlstad in cloth, $1200, above.

Link: Modular sofas from Ikea U.S.

***

CB2: Okay, CB2 looks very price competitive with Ikea. Their Uno gets in for fun factor — and orange upholstery — alone.

Link: Mod sectionals from CB2.

***

Lazar Industries: Lazar Industries gets a prize for da funky postmodern sectionals, like the Calcutta, above. There are also a few more “sedate” midcentury modern-esque versions to see — like the Rupert; but I could not get the image to load properly so that I could feature it here.

Link: Midcentury modern and postmodern sectionals from Lazar Industries.

***

Other companies that I looked at, but did not have sectionals that made my list included: (only cushion backs… or cushion backs to poufy… too boxy… whatever) at Design Within Reach; Mitchell Gold; Crate & Barrel; Macy’s; Pottery Barn; Ethan Allen; Urban Outfitters; Blu Dot; Vanguard. Reasons they did not make my cut included: Only cushion backs… or cushion backs too poufy… too boxy design overall… no sectionals in lineup… website was too difficult to navigate.

Readers, as always, I welcome any additional tips.

Do you know of additional companies that
make midcentury modern or postmodern retro style sectionals?

And of course: You can always cast your fate with the Retro Decorating Gods and shop for vintage: 136 photos of reader sofas and sectionals here.

Comments

We would love to have a house with a sunken livingroom conversation area so we can get one of these crazy wrap-around sectional sofas. U-Shaped couch? yes please!

• John D Taylor says

I have a vintage sectional, but the pets have beaten it up, but trust me when I find the right material to recover it, I will be taken charge and doing just that.
      The ultimate Sectional has to be Don and Megan Draper’s Sectional on Mad Men. The stylish look of their sunken Livingroom and MidCentury Eames Atomic, just gets my blood to running.
      Great Conversation.

JT

2. Bepsf says

Room and Board, and Younger are great choices –
    – but some of these – such as Gus and CB2 – are made in China: I wouldn’t touch those with a 10 foot pole.

3. Alan says

Big fan of CB2 – they have a lot of great midcentury furniture at reasonable prices and sturdier/more designed than Ikea or West Elm. Room and Board is just overpriced for what it is though they are the only chain in that category that really does midcentury – C&B has some pieces, especially lighting, but it’s not their forté.

Most of the couches above seem to share my main issue with mid-century seating – they do not look all that comfortable.

The Grace, however, looks like a winner. Anyone have any thoughts on the best place to buy Younger furniture either online or in NYC area?

4. Jamie D says

Thanks to your affordable sofa story, we researched Rowe and found a local retailer. We custom ordered a Dorset sectional with chrome legs, just arrived last week and it’s absolutely GORGEOUS. I should send you a picture. It’s 102″ wide with the chaise on the right end. We got a nubby avocado green upholstery and the throw pillows are this great orange, teal, and green print. The scale is just perfect – tailored, clean, plenty of seating without being overwhelmingly huge. The cushions are very dense and firm without being flat and hard.

It took about 6 weeks to arrive and was a bit over $2200. The quality is a bazillion times better than my previous Todd Oldham for La-Z-Boy furniture. The cushions are guaranteed for life – if they lose their shape, they get replaced for free. We bought the extra fabric warranty because we have 2 dogs and a baby on the way but that was only like an extra $100.

Made in Virginia! Rowe had quite a few styles that would work with MCM. I’m not sure it’s directly on their website but we found configurators on a few retailer websites where you could try different styles, fabrics, and options to “design” what you want. We found it to be really useful.

• Lauryn says

So good to know this about Rowe. We have been eyeing this site for awhile, so it’s good to hear someone be so satisfied. We have a fairly small living room, so I love that many of their sofas are smaller in scale … though I would love to see what a 102″ width looks like! Thanks for sharing your “review”.

• Lilly says

Hi,

I know it has been over a year since your post, but I wanted to know how your Dorset has held up and if you are satisifed. We really like it, and it actually fits our house. Would you recommend it?

Thanks!

• Jamie D. says

Absolutely. It’s held up well and is very comfortable. My only concern is our specific fabric choice seems that it could catch on doggie toenails and maybe wasn’t the smartest choice we could have made. We haven’t had any pulls or tears or snags…so far…but we keep a blanket spread out most of the time because (I’m paranoid) and our dog hangs out on the sofa with us. He does like to put his front paws on the back of the sofa so he can look out the window and it hasn’t been a problem at all.

The cushions have held their shape very well and I’m glad we got the tight back.

It’s so comfy that I often fall asleep on it at night when I’m trying to watch the news.

• Lilly says

Thank you for getting back to me. I really appreciate your insight. We have dogs who use the sofa as well and it is one of our biggest concerns about getting a new sofa.

5. Wendy M. says

LOVE the Room and Board sectional- it’s just perfect! I wonder if you have a solution to the problem my husband has with most mid-century furniture: he’s 6’4″ and the backs of these sofas are just too low. I would love to have something authentic-looking for our home, but I also want him to be comfortable. The Stressless model would work, but they wouldn’t look right with our decor. Did you happen to run across any mfg. that provide the tufted-back, streamlined look on a larger scale? (It’s always hard to tell from pictures and I don’t know how many more stores I can convice him to visit!)

• Rocket Doc says

If you check out the dimensions of some of the Thrive and Rowe furniture you will see that although the design is mid-century-inspired, the sizes are larger than originals, although not so large as some contemporary furniture, e. g., a seat back of 34″ and a depth of 36-38″.

I had some e-mail correspondence with a vice-president of Thrive and he was very responsive to questions about their furniture. I won’t guarantee it, but if you send for fabric samples they may send you a coupon code (mine was 15%) for a discount if you order within several weeks. They also have sales (up to 20% off) on chosen lines which seem to coincide with holidays–I’d guess Memorial Day or maybe Mother’s Day are the next possible opportunities.

Yes, check dimensions. 36″-38″ seat depth doesn’t faze me as much as 40″. This is why it’s always great to sit first. I tend to think we slouch and potato on our sofas much, much more than back in the 1950s — we have big screen TVs and spend a lot more time in front of them !

6. Ranger Smith says

Pam – I’m wowed by the 1st on your list: Reese by room and Board. The curve is great and authentic to the 50’s – 60’s. An option in the So. Calif area is The Sofa Company http://www.thesofaco.com/index.aspx
    They can make any of their products as a sectional but I’m not sure about curved sectionals. I have one of their sofas and 3 years on it is not showing any wear. This is a critical topic for any living area since the sofa us usally the largest piece of furnture, thus making a huge impact.

7. kara bruner says

Curious if anyone has any experience with Thrive Home Furnishings??
    They have some really “fun” colors and obvious mid-century lines…. also, made in the US (in CA). They offer a 21-day risk free trial (takes some of the risk out of ordering online… if you don’t like it, you can send it back!) But I’m not sure about the quality vs some of the higher end furniture companies… I’m a real stickler for firm, non-saggy cushions! :)

• Jamie D says

That green sectional from Thrive was actually my top choice but I was wary about ordering online without sitting on it first. Check that return policy – I know you have 21 days to return it, but I’m pretty sure you have to pay return shipping. And for something that size…yikes.

8. Ima Pam says

Such a useful post! Great to see Rowe is still around after many many years…and with a dealer nearby! We’ve had a sofa and love seat since the 80’s that still looks great. Now I know where to look for the basement sectional! Thanks Pam!

9. Lauryn says

Drooling over sofas and sectionals is SO much more fun than taxes … and all I did was file an extension request! Thanks for the diversion, Pam!

10. Rachel says

Roomservicestore.com has some great modern sectionals including some gorgeous circular ones. Many of their pieces are the more dramatic Hollywood Regency style, but they have a big selection of sectionals and sofas. Not sure what qualifies as ‘affordable’ but they are not in the Ikea range for sure.

11. Suzanna says

Love all of your selections, but have a comment on the Ikea sofa: great sofa, ugly legs. DesignSponge recently featured a company called Prettypegs. Prettypegs sells replacement legs for Ikea sofas, and they have a few MCM styles. So if you are looking for a good price point with nice MCM styling try combining Ikea + Prettypegs.

• Jamie D says

THAT is genius! That was the one thing I really hated about the Karlstad. We considered the leather one but the legs make it look so much cheaper. I would have loved some tapered Danish mod legs on it!

• says

Actually, there are several places to buy the legs and Pam featured one awhile back. But my real reason for the reply is this: http://www.ourmidcentury.com/2010/11/our-karlstad-sofa-hack.html

We almost bought the Karlstad so we could do that but we ended up with the Kivik. My husband is 6’4″ and I am 5’8″ so we needed something big. We had a vintage sofa for about a year and a half and it just wasn’t cutting it. We love the Kivik and wanted something with removable covers and easy to clean. I do plan on tufting the cushions at some point but it looks great in our really long and awkward living room. I would love to buy a room and board sofa, but I can’t bring myself to paying more than what we did for the Kivik.

12. clampers says

We bought the Raymond sectional from Slumberland: http://www.slumberland.com/furniture/products/raymond-collection—saddle-sectional__pmoea70

I think Slumberland is midwest-region only though? Not totally sure on that one.

Anyway, the sectional is awesome and we couldn’t be happier. We hit a sale and ended up getting it for around $600 with tax and everything, if I remember correctly, which of course is an amazing deal. This is not a bad-quality piece of furniture either, it’s very well-manufactured and firm, unlike some sofas you can buy today that are so crazy overstuffed that once you sink into them, there’s no getting out. I much prefer the firm kind. And it fits just perfectly in our sunken living room with fireplace.

Omigoodness, you certainly put a lot of work into this post! I love the first three shown from Room and Board, with teal being my favorite color these days. If only I could afford the Stressless Paradise – that 2nd sectional is lovely!

As it is, a friend gave me her used-but-nice-castoff sofa and two slipper chairs from Crate and Barrel. They have separate pillows for backs. Not exactly mid-century, but the price was right. And the chairs are teal. I’ll just ignore that they aren’s as mid-century as I would like and decorate around them. I remember that’s how my mom decorated back in the mid-century: electic, economical, and sentimental, with splashes of the obsession du jour.

14. michelle says

What a great list—I’ve had my eye on the same models from Thrive and Room and Board!

I’ve also been eyeing up the Oliver at BuildASofa, and I’m wondering if anyone has input about this company. They’re relatively affordable and offer a LOT of customization of sizes and configurations … even options for adding pull-out sleepers to most of their sofas and sectionals. All made in USA, too, I believe. Anyone have experience with this place?

15. Pyrexmaniac says

Mitchell Gold+Bob Williams has a decent selection, as does Johnathan Adler…..they are rather pricey, however.

16. Lynne says

I too just bought a Dorset sectional from Rowe. I got the wedge curve in mine instead of the sharp L shape. My local store was having a sale, and I got it just under $2,000.00 w/tax. Mine is going to be in a limey green!

We came very, very close to getting the Reese, at around $4,000.00, from Room and Board. However, after reading the reviews from the overall site (not just the Reese, but several other sofa models) the major complaint was that the cushions didn’t hold up even with light use. I’ve already been there, done that with the Corona from Macys, and I wasn’t taking that chance.

Thanks, Lynne. Great reco: Read the review comments for these sofas — many sites now have them right on their own sites!

17. TulsaRetro says

We just went through this with the den. I’d love to get one of the room & board sofas, but they were beyond our price range. We went back and forth on CB2 and West Elm, but I had reservations about quality on both of them. We ended up with the Milo from Macy’s. It does have removable back pillows, and is more ‘substantial’, than what I expected, but it’s cozy and well made. Not 100% MCM reproduction, but close enough for our den.

Tulsa, I will add it — it looks nice. Not too poufy, those back pillows! And I bet you can find it on sale! Send me a pic of your den when you get a chance!

• TulsaRetro says

Pam-
        Will do, we have an ongoing ‘fireplace project’ that I need to get wrapped up first.

There’s actually a few MCM and Modern sectionals on the Macy’s site if you want to look around there. Macy’s was probably the last place that we thought we would end up, but it turns out they actually have some cool stuff!

18. gsciencechick says

We really liked the Younger Grace–it is gorgeous, comfortable and made in NC, but a sectional just does not work in our living room without blocking vents. Seriously considered other Younger sofas and almost ordered, but we got a vintage sofa from an estate auction.

19. Melanie says

What a great list! That first sofa takes me back to my grandmother’s house. Pretty sure she had one very similar.

If I were in the market for a new sofa, I would but that green Rowe in my livingroom in a heartbeat. Love it. I hadn’t really thought about a sectional in my living room until this post.

20. Trouble says

I just want a new “vintage” couch that will hold up and the cushions won’t crush or flip up on the ends when you sit down!

21. Laura Thompson says

We have quite a few Room and Board pieces and are very happy with them. Just bought the Clarke sectional in teal for our mid-century addition to the house. Nearly everything at R and B is American made. We had a leg loose on a one year-old chair and they sent a repairman to fix it – no charge. Great service!

22. Katie says

With Ikea sofas the frames and cushions are very high quality, and will last and last. What you want to watch out for is the quality of the fabric covers, some of them are better than others. The Karlstad ones are really nice, and will probably be the next sofa I buy. The really nice thing is that the covers are totally removable, so you can have it cleaned, or replace a wrecked cover, or just change the color, without it costing an arm and a leg.

23. Just another Pam says

Love the first one. My parents had one very similar in the late ’50’s and early ’60’s but, alas, it was replaced by a very modern one in orange when we moved back from Germany. Very tempting it is.

I found an amazing sectional from the 50’s on kijiji last week… in amazing shape! Now, if only I could make it mine! Ive just recently realized how great sectionals are… except not so much for wee apartments…

25. Mike S says

Wanted to thank you for all you are doing to keep Mid Century Modern alive.

As I get older (turned 50 this January), I find myself yearning for the world I used to know. Was fortunate to grow up in a ’63 ranch with all the colonial trimmings, courtesy of my design-savvy mother. Have only recently discovered she saw life through Better Homes and Gardens — and have also discovered there was nothing wrong with that.

Thanks again, Pam. I’ll return soon for another Mid Mod “Fix”!

• Mike S says

Thanks, and I neglected to mention that we, too, had a sectional sofa! It’s amazing that so much of what I see in here is what we had at home. Am happy so many others like the look, as well!

26. Jody Browder says

We purchased a sectional from BuildASofa. We are pleased with the result. You select from several fabrics with lots of colors. We chose a linen-look polyester. We went neutral but there were great colors. It’s just slightly over scale, but you can change depth or length or height. Made in California, ships in less than 5 weeks.

27. Kirsten says

Pam, fantastic post!

I soooo wanted the Reese sectional, but it was just too large for our space. However, our sofa purchase was inspired by your previous 28 sofa post. So we are currently awaiting our Reese 76″ sofa in teal, which is scheduled to arrive in a few weeks. So excited!

28. Megan H says

I must have one of the Thrive mid century modern furniture’s Lucky Turquoise sofas. Love love love it. Made in USA!

29. Susan says

I just came across this FABULOUS post (thanks AGAIN, Pam!) and wanted to point out that Crate & Barrel JUST came out with a sectional version of their MCM-esque Petrie sofa:
    And they’re made in Virginia, USA.

I’m about to purchase a Petrie Apartment Sofa. Thrive has a very similar sofa to the Petrie (both in regular size and apartment size), but theirs is just high-density foam whereas C&B makes theirs with “sinuous wire spring suspension.” Plus, I believe Thrive is online only, which means you can’t go sit in it. But their stuff looks great!

30. Payam says

I just purchased the Kelsey sectional from Plummers. They are manufactured by Dania-Plummers group and not Stressless company as you mentoned here :)
    They look great and very comfortable too!

• Julia says

How is that Kelsey sectional holding up? I am considering to buy it but would like to hear any feedback on it. Thanks in advance.

• Payam says

Hey Julia!
        It’s actually holding up pretty good! It’s been almost six months, and so far no major issues!

Good thing is that you can arrange it anyway you like to fit your space. I would suggest you take good measurements before purchasing it, because it’s kinda a big furniture once you put it all together.

The material looks pretty sturdy even-though they are not very heavy-weighted pieces.

I also purchased some extra cushions for it from Crate & Barrel! I hope this is helpful!

• Julia says

Thank you so much for your reply, me and my husband going to the store this weekend to see it in person, we r trying to decode between Kelsey or Reese by room and broad, don’t want to spend too much money but want something that won’t sag over the time.

31. Dan T says

Just a little additional info for this old-but-still-helpful post — I have the Uno from CB2 (not in orange!) in my loft, and have been very happy with it so far. It is actually managed by RR favorite Younger Furniture, at least according to the packaging it was delivered in!