A Flintstones meet Jetsons mood board for Kate’s retro modern master bath remodel

Flintstones meet Jetsons retro modern master bath remodel mood board

Kate

Now that it seems I have my master bathroom floor plan figured out, it is time to do some of the fun stuff — like putting together the retro modern looks that I might use for my final bathroom remodel. But where does one start to figure out a decorating plan? Well, I like to start with an inspiration photo…

In this case, my inspiration came from a post that Pam featured — this 1957 time capsule house in historic Houston. As I scrolled through the photos of this amazing time capsule house, I kept getting drawn back to one photo in particular, a bathroom with pink tile, stone and wood all in one! This photo:

midcentury-modern-house-1957-houston-15Photo used with permission Robert Searcy
and
TK Images Real Estate Photography

I had already decided that my bathroom remodel should have two things — a retro dresser as the vanity, and if at all possible, the bathroom should be at least partially pink. Unfortunatly for me, my bathroom doesn’t have the high ceilings and copious amounts of space like this time capsule bath, but that doesn’t mean that I couldn’t bring the feeling of this space to my house, mix in a little modern and call it a possibility, right?

So, here is my first mood board — Pam came up with the name for this design combination, “Flintstones meet Jetsons” — too much fun! –>

Flintstones meet Jetsons retro modern master bath remodel mood board1. Just because my bathroom doesn’t currently have a stone wall doesn’t mean I can’t fabricate a small one! This honey ledger tile gives the look and feel of a real stone wall.

2. The inspiration room has awesome chrome pin hole lights that hang from the ceiling. My bathroom doesn’t have high enough ceilings for that treatment, plus as much as I love that type of light, I wonder if would be the best light for doing hair and makeup, so I opted for these chrome light sconces that are not only affordable enough to splurge and get two, but also could be customized by adding stenciling to the glass.

3. I bought one of these STAVE mirrors from IKEA a while back. They no longer have this medium brown wood color, but luckily I snapped one up that I could easily use in my master bath remodel.

4. I’m a big fan of this Belle Foret modern bath faucet because of its modern design. The handles, while modern, are reminiscent of the old retro hot and cold knobs found on so many retro bathrooms.

5. On my last visit to Home Depot, I noticed a display for custom bath counter tops that was intriguing. St. Paul Home Products will make a custom bath counter top with or without sink to meet your exact needs — and it is affordable to boot! I’m a fan of solid white counters and sinks in bathrooms, but they do have some fun and exciting color choices such as Waterfall (light aqua), Sunflower (bright yellow) and Cardinal (bright red) for those who are looking for a bit more excitement in a bath countertop.

6. This is the retro dresser that I scored on Craigslist for a mere $25. I wanted something that was simple yet definitely retro, and this dresser fits the bill with its clean lines and tapered legs. It also is exactly 52 inches long, which is the perfect size for the space.

7. It is hard to see exactly what is going on with the floor tile in the inspiration room, but it looks to be a pink, white and beige combination of small tiles. My take on this floor, complete with a modern twist, is to use travertine tiles set in a retro inspired pattern.

8. Remember the story I did with 17 lights to consider in a retro modern bathroom remodel? Well I really am over the moon about this flying saucer inspired flush mount ceiling light. I think it would add some lovely light to the space as well as a touch more of the retro feel.

9. Ever since the day Pam broke the story on these starburst bath accessories, I’ve been drooling over this towel bar from Rejuvenation. Adding this to my bath would amp up the chrome and the retro factor in one swoop.

10. This 8″ by 4″ pink tile, which I hope I can still order from B&W tile (they don’t have their colors online and I’m hoping they have a light pink available) would be retro in color but modern in shape. To save on cost and make it feel more modern, I would be only tiling the shower area and painting the rest of the walls a coordinating pink.

11. To finish off the bathroom, I would use this white porcelain floor tile for the shower floor. I know this choice is authentically retro because this is the same tile I currently have in my shower floor. I like small tiles for shower floors because of how they feel under my feet as well as how they look.

So there you have it — my first option for my retro modern master bathroom remodel. I think this idea board captures the feel of the inspiration bathroom, adds in a touch of modern and still has a design that is thoughtful when it comes to the lower ceilings and smaller space in my master bathroom.

What do you guys think? Could this idea board be a contender for my retro modern master bathroom remodel?

Follow all of Kate’s stories about her
master bathroom remodel — Click here.

Comments

1. lynda says

Very nice, Kate. My only comment would be to choose good quality plumbing fixtures. You want them to last for a really long time. Also, we used this company for tile in my daughter’s baths–
    I am not sure they have the pink color you are looking for. Another thought, the stone may not be sealed. Make sure you seal it for ease of cleaning. I think the new bath looks retro and fresh for today’s look. Good job!

2. Janet says

Kate, Love it! I think the suggestion to seal the stone wall is a good idea. And I would do something to protect the legs of the dresser/vanity also, because I have seen the finish damaged from washing around them. Maybe you can find and spray and seal those brass looking caps? I was looking at real estate listings in our town and noticed that a former neighbor’s house just sold. This house is amazingly original, built in 1958, with its faux rock living room wall, birch cabinets and GE wall oven, and strange pink tiled bathroom with black trim and mint green toilet and sink! Their modern bedroom set is amazing, as is the credenza in the living room, and their dinette set. I cringe to think the buyer may rip it all out and start over. I love it the way it is except for the pink and green bathroom combination. If anyone is interested in seeing it, I can provide the realtor.com MLS number if that is allowed on site. I know how amazed I was even back in 1978 when I first saw the house.

• says

Sealing the stone probably is a good idea, especially in a bathroom with all the moisture.

I would likely seal the entire dresser with some sort of marine grade varnish to prevent moisture from getting to the wood finish…especially on the legs! While I do love a floating vanity, they are so expensive and there is just something about those tapered retro legs!!!!

• Annie B. says

Yes, indeed, to the industrial strenth varnish on the wood vanity. Just pretend that you’re about to sail it in the America’s Cup and wipe ‘er down good.

You have wonderful ideas. Love the Jetson’s look.

3. MCM is Grand says

Kate, I have some light pink tile pieces from B & W left over from our shower repair. I’m happy to send you some as a thank you for this inspiring post! You can send me your contact information offline.

4. lynda says

I think Janet is right about the legs on the cabinet. I wonder if you could figure out how to make it a floating cabinet, or replace the legs with the metal type you can find at Ikea in the kitchen cabinet area? Any wood that touches the floor just seems to wick any moisture from the floor.

5. Holland says

Kate: Promise no changes to your plan — only minor tweaks allowed! The Flintstones infusion of stone surfaces is SOOOO spot on, unexpected, fun and sophisticated. Adore everything and marvel at your design and budgetary sensibilities.

• says

Thanks Holland!

I really do like this plan! 🙂 I like to think of myself as fun yet sophisticated…would be nice if my bathroom was too! 🙂

6. RetroSandie says

Kate, I think it is going to look awesome! Will there be a white sink and toilet? Or will you go for pink?

• says

I would be ok with either. My worry about the pink for sink and toilet is getting the shades to coordinate correctly. If I could manage it, I would go with the pink!

7. dulcie says

Whatever you do, don’t use that awful Lowe’s commercial as an example of what to do to your bathroom. Have you seen that one? The woman takes a sledgehammer to an awesome pink tiled bathroom and replaces it with white garbage. I get a little sick every time it comes on.

I like it! The legs give the ‘vanity’ a very retro look, but that said, I like floating vanities a lot. I’m eyeing one at IKEA). They also have a very similar vanity top, but are too shallow for our needs.

Have fun. I wish we were starting on our bathroom remodels. Soon. Fingers crossed.

• says

Carole,

I was also eyeing the IKEA floating vanity. My only concern there is the quality…though I could get a shorter size vanity from IKEA and have more room in the shower.

I wonder if I could put retro legs on an IKEA floating vanity????

• Chase says

Kate, I’m sure that you can add retro legs to an IKEA vanity with a little creativity. Your comment also reminded me of a company that is producing replacement legs for IKEA furniture, it is called Pretty Pegs and has some nice examples of the tapered leg.

In regards to your design board, I think that your choices come together very nicely. The balance between contemporary and retro is just right. I vote for keeping the legs on the dresser, they are very attractive. You can easily get around the issue of water wicking up through them by putting on a set of chrome/nylon “gliders” that were so popular for commercial/public furniture. They are relatively small and would add just a tiny bit of sparkle at ground level. Something similar but not exactly what I was talking about can be seen on this end table:

I love the contrast of the soft pink tile with the stone. The starburst towel holders are great, too. They’ll add some sparkle. I can’t wait to see everything come together in real life!

10. richmond says

for the vanity I would suggest mount the back to the wall as if it is floating and remove the rear legs and some furniture stores sell metal buttons the front legs would sit on raising the wood off the tile
    Kohler Canada offers there toilets in “vapour pink”
    and 2 aquamarine blues

• Holland says

Removing just the rear legs and securing the vanity’s back to the wall is an excellent idea. I have two-legged cabinets from CB2 that mount exactly that way. Your eye does not miss rear legs and it’s so much easier to clean the floor underneath the vanity.

• richmond says

I was in correct about Kohler as the colours I thought was for the toilets was for there cast iron sinks and the toilets come in only a VERY mild pink almost white

11. Steve H says

I really love the idea of using the dresser as a vanity and I definitely would keep the legs as they are. I’m sure that you could find some type of little metal cap thingy for the ends to protect against moisture. I’m guessing that one of the drawers will be sacrificed for the sink basin. You should consider trying to convert it to a tilt out bin like a lot of kitchen sink cabinets have now – very handy.

12. Ilana says

I love it! Is the dresser of a comparable height to a normal vanity? I would think it would be a little low. I love your style!

13. Rocket Doc says

I saw 52″ vanity and I just had to let out a heavy sigh, because the only full bath in my house is 5′ x 7′ including a linen closet that takes up 2′ x 2′ of floor space. Once you allow space to swing a 28″ door, a 5′ tub and a toilet, there’s not a lot of room for counter space. And nowhere to expand that isn’t also critical space.

Ooooooh, Pam! So glad I read this story and saw that starburst towel bar! I do believe I need that for my own bathroom as well. I love Rejuvenation!

15. Twisted Time says

HA! I got that exact same dresser at a thrift store for $12 I am using it as a TV stand in the living room (sans legs for now.) Like you said, it was just the right size.

16. Marta says

Love the dresser, Kate. It will be so easy to clean under there, and I think it makes the bath look roomier. I have a little vintage wicker hamper, the rectangular kind, that has a starburst “brooch” on the front. Just love the shape of it.

Thanks for mentioning our Vanity Top Customizer in the article. We work very hard to provide our customers with high quality products that are affordable too. We would like to invite everyone to like us on Facebook and sign up for our newsletter so you can participate in some exciting promotions we will have very soon!

Thanks again and keep up the good work!

The St. Paul Team