Rare 1964 vintage bathroom sinks and faucets from Truman Newberry house

vintage bathroom sink faucetAnother inventive midcentury bathroom product — a wonderful oddity — to jones over today: A lovely pair of 1960s American Standard sinks with yummy push-pull faucets. I wanna push-pull faucet!  Many thanks to the seller, who gave me permission to feature these photos for our woddity archive. Oh — and snap ’em up, somebody: These are for sale on craigslist in Raleigh, North Carolina [link now expired].  These sinks also have provenance, the listing says:

Two American-Standard 1960s unique sinks with Push-Pull faucets in excellent condition. These are vintage yet contemporary sinks installed by modern architect Truman Newberry in his 1964 personal house in Raleigh, NC. They are in perfect working order and come with their original metal sink frames and stoppers. These are a rare find!

This advertisement shows a version of the faucet.

Comments

1. TappanTrailerTami says

*LOVE* – these are a great deal………you only need to go price ONE sink and faucet at a box store and spend the same amount as these are priced for two sinks and faucets.

Hope someone here grabs them!

2. Jay says

Pam, thanks for the link to the architect which then led me to Dick Bell and the Water Garden. Interesting reading.

3. Jenny says

Wish I’d seen these when I was converting my one-sink vanity into a two-sink vanity; these are way more period appropriate (and less expensive) than the ones I ended up with.

Argh. Good things really *do* come to those who wait. Whoever gets these sinks should consider themselves very lucky!

Oh, my, those are beautiful faucets! They remind me of a particularly spectacular one we found on a sink at Construction Junction in Pittsburgh. We bought the sink solely to save the faucet—but the poor beautiful thing was so corroded it fell apart despite our most careful handling of it. These really are marvellous! I hope (and am sure) they will end up in a good home.

5. Annie B. says

Oh, my. Love them. We have the wall version of the sink in the photo in our hall bath, but, sadly, no faucet as cool as these on it.

Hooray for Triangle Modern Houses! I used to live around the corner from the Truman Newberry house on Redbud Lane in Raleigh. If I’d known then what I know now………ah!

6. Liz says

We lived in a house (from 1968 to 1972) that had these faucets in the bathrooms. The house was built in 1966. I loved the faucets. I thought they were so futuristic.

7. Jean Gough says

I have this faucet in my small bathroom and know that my main bathroom had one also that was replaced along the way. I purchased a replacement for that bathroom but if I could find one of these to buy, I would be joyous!!!

8. Dana says

I wanted these sinks so badly for my MCM Bathroom renovation I would’ve paid much money but sadly I think Australia was too far away and they’re gone from Craigslist now. Some lucky bunny out there is very happy right now and I’d love to see them fitted in someones dream home.

9. jamie s says

I have three of these faucets, they work perfectly. no drips at all for a faucet of that age is remarkable.

they do mix the water,

I took one apart because the cold pressure was low. There is a cap on the back of the faucet that comes off. Mine still had paper instructions in it as to how and clean the screens inside. Cleaned it out and it is as good as new.

10. Janet in ME says

WOW! Just noticed this – I have one of these faucets if anyone is interested. We removed the crappy 1970’s vanity from our 1957 ranch and replaced it with a period wall hung sink that was definitely original to the bathroom. Phil was cursing because I made him remove it from the countertop before it went to the landfill. I love that faucet but cannot use it. Everything in the house was from Sears and we thought the faucet was too, but now I wonder. It was dripping when we moved in but looks like it is an easy fix.

11. Bob Brown says

I have two of these faucets in a 1964 house I just purchased. I am looking for repair kits so I can rebuild these faucets. I also have matching tub and shower sets. I found rebuild kits for the tub and shower parts at http://www.nyrpcorp.com. However, I cannot find the sink faucet parts. Any help would be appreciated.