Video: How to install new escutcheons and handles onto a 1950’s vintage American Standard sink

Now this is must-see TV. Our friends over at deabath.com aka Bathroom Machineries made this snappy video showing how to install new escutcheons and handles on to a 1950s American Standard sink. This style of sink — with the water spout cast right into mold — was, I would venture to say, one of the most popular sinks of the 1950s, even earlier. I see these all the time at the Re-Store… in historic houses… and they are likely in millions of houses. But as the video points out, the handles and frou frou whatever supporting them can rust out after 50 years. So here, they show you what to order to replace the old with like new. I also find this video hysterical, because…”in real life” you know you would be cursing and throwing things by the time Mr. Bathroom Machineries gets to like the 15-second mark. 😉Oh well. These guys are great, though: They really seem to know their stuff. Got a problem with parts on your vintage sink? Call them! Note: They have been longtime advertisers on the blog. But I would show this video and send them compliments even if they weren’t.

Is the barrel stuck? Watch this video.

More!, deabath.com, More! Make us some more videos!

Comments

1. Janet says

Very interesting! I am still trying to bum an old sink very similar to this off the motel in Maine as I want to put it back in my bathroom to replace the seventies oak vanity – yuck. Phil knows plumbing but then again, waiting for him to do it may take forever so maybe I will need these instruction videos to do it myself!

2. Dulcie says

I recently gave up on my old 1950’s sink and replaced it a couple weeks ago. The spout was so short that it was almost impossible to wash your hands decently, and it always looked dirty because years and years of scrubbings had worn the porcelain through almost all the way to the cast iron, giving the whole thing a dingy gray cast. As much as I love old stuff, there comes a time when my need for something to look decent overcomes my love of the old.

• wendy says

though this wouldn’t help the too-short spout problem, worn enamel on sinks can be refinished, just like a bathtub. though possibly not as cost effective on a sink as a tub, but if you had a really rare sink (like that double cast!), it’d be worth it.

i have a story on true re-enameling. other processes that are essentially paint – i have never heard of these working satisfactorily. quick fix: nail polish.

• Nancy P says

I had a tub resurfaced quite a few years ago and it’s almost completely peeled away. I need to do it again, but wanting a better quality job done. Maybe that’s not possible? Many come with a warranty of some kind, I think Miracle Method was 10 years, but you have to clean with more gentle cleaners and no bleach (I think). Anyone have experience with tub coatings?

Nancy P, I have personally never heard of anyone who had a fantabulous longterm experience with resurfacing jobs. It’s fundamentally… paint. I think.

3. Julie P. says

I took out all of the stems in my old sinks and showers and took them to the local hardware store to have the stems re-packed and cleaned. They work great! No leaks! If I can do it, anyone can. It’s easy!