Swivel sprayer attachment thingie for a kitchen faucet — aka: aerator

Isn’t it frustrating to know exactly what you need but are unable to find it — simply because you aren’t sure what it is called? That’s the problem that reader Jennie had when she emailed us trying to figure out where to find the one missing piece for her kitchen sink.

Jennie writes:

Pam, or anyone out here: I am trying to find those swivel sprayers that would attach onto the end of any threaded kitchen faucet. I remember ours from the 1950-60s era. I think they were rubber? with metal where the water actually came out. They allowed the housewife to divert the water in different directions as she rinsed the dishes, without having to move the whole faucet arm back and forth.

Does anyone remember what they were actually called, or know where to find them?

I had no idea, so I asked Pam. She quickly suggested I search for “aerators” — and BaM PoW!! There they were. We found quite a few designs to put into our Amazon widget. Note, this is an affiliate link; if you buy anything from Amazon after clicking through a link on the blog, the blog gets a little spiff; part of how we keep the blog boat afloat.

Some of these also are designed to be water-saving: A wonderful feature that to conserve water.

Oh, and Pam wanted me to add this:

I find it pitiful that I knew, in a heartbeat, no hesitation, what these were called. It’s like being at a cocktail party and having fascinating, lively, engaged conversations about ice dams, reverse mortgages and whether Social Security is really a “tax” or “insurance”. Shoot me.


Get our retrolicious free newsletter.


Get our retrolicious free newsletter.


  1. says

    I love those aerator thingys – but don’t make the mistake I did in assuming the size was standard. One size does not fit all. I bought one recently for my sink faucet in my “new” old 1958 house, only to find it wouldn’t fit. I’m headed back to Home Depot to browse the aerator offerings in hopes of figuring out what the sizes are, which one I need, etc.

  2. Diane in CO says

    Don’t forget, these usually pull down for spray mode and shove up for a more steady stream — at least that’s how ours works at our 1970 vacation condo. My DIL and I had a subtle “volley” all summer, with her setting it one way and me setting it the opposite, then she would change it back….depending on who was cooking in the kitchen!. Not one word was ever spoken but I’m sure we were driving each other crazy! 🙂

  3. Pat says

    I’ve used one of these for 20 years, in fact, the one I’m using now is at least 10 years old. I don’t even miss not having a sprayer on my sink, don’t need one with this. Couldn’t live without it! I got mine at Ace hardware.

  4. Susan C says

    Thanks for always being such a good resource. Just ordered one after clicking through on your Amazon links above – you don’t get much from a $7 purchase, but there it is anyway!

  5. Cherise says

    I grew up in the 40s and 50s, and mother had one of the aerators on our kitchen faucet.. It was made of all rubber and just slipped onto the faucet–didn’t screw on. Of course, things are made differently nowadays. I have been wanting an aerator (I, too, didn’t know what it was called) for about a year so went to Walmart just sure that I would find it there. NOPE. So I will have to patronize the hardware places, i.e. Home Depot, Lowes, Ace.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *