366 vintage table lamps from readers’ homes

vintage lampVintage table lamps are one of the most gratifying vintage collectibles that you can acquire: They are abundant, which means prices can be affordable… they are usually in great shape… you can put a pair in just about every room, so you get to shop a lot… they deliver a double — base and shade — bang-for-the-buck… and, when you get them into the room, they make a huge decorative statement, all retro blingy like. Let there be light — and let there be vintage table lamps. Above: Mystery reader uploaded this last week, said they found the base for $9 at Goodwill, and bought the shade from Moonshine. See all 366 lamps! –>

Upload photos of your vintage table lamps, belowTips:

•  (1) Uploader DOES work but message you get on screen *may be* funky and confusing. Upload ONCE and trust the image it there — I just need to “set new photos free” from my control panel and will be checking throughout the weekend to do so.
  • (2) Terms of Use apply. Plus: Keep those toilet lids DOWN!
  • (3) If you are taking a room shot and want to improve your photo skills, check out Kate’s tips on taking great room shots.

[Uploader now CLOSED}

Tips to view slide show: Click on first image… it will enlarge and you can also read my captions… move forward or back via arrows below the photo… you can start or stop at any image:

Comments

1. Diane in CO says

There is a photo up there “sideways” and it’s merely labelled Majestic Lamp. I LOVE the drapery fabric, with the black in it, in the background!! (Well, I adore the lamp too; that goes without saying.)

Could the poster kindly tell me if that is a new retro fabric or vintage material…. If new, I would dearly love to know the company, if you happen to know it.

Those drapes are to die for. I’m just now planning some drapes for a room and would love some information if you have a minute.

I love all the lamps, especially the ones with the tiered and the dual fiberglass shades. Love all the little people lamp bases too. And all the rest. I am going to see if my time capsule lamps show up in any of the pix.

3. tammyCA says

Wow, even more lamps! I think my heart beat a little faster at Hannah’s cute aqua wavy one. I have a thing for sinuous lines and so many of these amazing lamps have that…oh, I want one badly now.
    My aunt had a ceramic black panther on top of her t.v. in the ’60s…don’t remember if it was a lamp or planter.

As LarsErik said above lamps are “magical”. I’ve always loved lamps & have always keyed in on them in all old movies & t.v. shows (well, I’ve always keyed in on backgrounds & miss the story!)..something I’ve wondered about was how they plugged in the table lamps in the nightclubs? Were they battery operated back in the ’40s-’50s?

4. hannah says

I’m right there with an earlier poster, there is just NO way to pick a few that are spectacular, because they ALL are. I just love the quirkiness of the style of those days. So creative and aesthetically pleasing on so many levels.

I will say I highly covet a lamp with a shade like Cynthia shows (image 243, if memory serves). I just think that’s so classy and different.

5. Toni says

#74/#76 I love that lamp and it would fit in my pre 1930 decor. I have a lamp that needs a home. Can I give it away here? Just for the postage. I will take a picture if it’s ok to give it away here. It’s probaby 30 inches tall. Brown ceramic. I hesitate to post my email…..for obvious reasons!

thanks to everybody who posted this weekend! It has been a blast, looking at everybody else’s unique lamps (thought I was the only one with a lamp ‘can never have too many” happy ones! There are a few posted of mine too & enjoy looking at them. I have refinsihed, redone many lamps, given them funky shades & to me they are like jewlery, change them, it changes the room! Happy weekend all!

7. Jennifer says

thanks to all for sharing. i think now i can embrace my love of lamps and step tables, the perfect pairing! I really want to find a nice floor or pole lamp. hit many estate sales in the Pittsburgh area, so I think my time will come soon. I don’t think I could pick a favorite, although I am quite partial to all the figure lamps. the pink man and woman that seem to be holding two lamps shades are fantastic. as are the owls, and the velvet lamps and tables. I am amazed that people had enough space to devote to these lamps-you really have to commit some serious real estate to properly display these fabulous objets d’art.

8. nina462 says

whoever posted the white/gold lamp with the middle black collar – I have that lamp as well. It’s cool, that the black collar is the on/off switch. You have to be careful though, because thru out the use, the paint wears off.
    I know I’ve submitted my picture before – so it’s somewhere in the archives at retrorenovation.

9. Caroline says

Hello all! I have a question for the class! I am in need of two fairly large fiberglass shades for two quite tall mid century chalkware lamps I picked up for a song at a garage sale this weekend. The dilemma is that large lampshades are not only rare but -be they original or reproduction- they are invariably quite pricey and my budget is …shall we say ‘restrictive’ at the moment. I’m fairly crafty, however, and I’m certain I could make the lampshades myself. So, my question is this: Does anyone know where one might source sheet fiberglass for lampshade making? 🙂
    Merci!!! 🙂

10. Jennifer says

Wow – I have a lamp that is VERY similar to image 8839 (the mauve lamp with floral and gold accents). I purchased mine at a consignment shop in NJ in 2006. Mine does not have the handles on the sides and has a longer “neck,” but the floral decal in the center is identical. My guess is that it’s from the mid to late 1940s. I LOVE this lamp and would like to learn more about it and the designer/company that produced it!