10 holiday gift ideas for the vintage loving minimalist weary of mass consumption

giftsAs I get older, there are fewer and fewer objects that I feel I would like or really want. I’ve already acquired quite a bit of stuff in my life and quite frankly, I’m starting to wonder where to put it all. And then, every year when my birthday or the holidays come around, I get asked by my super generous family and friends, “What would you like this year?” For someone who is big on being thrifty, buying things that last (which often means vintage), and trying hard not to fall into the consumption trap — this increasingly is a difficult question to answer.

Sure I would like some things — we’re saving to remodel our master bathroom, and to have our yard look nicer than it currently does. And of course, there are always a few pieces of furniture or hard-to-find vintage accessories on my list that I’m waiting patiently for on craigslist or Ebay. But, you can’t really put those things on your holiday list. So I sat and thunk for a while, and what follows is my list of 10 ideas for the hard to shop for, vintage loving, my-basement-is-already-full-o-stuff minimalist. Maybe you have some ideas for me, too??

enamel-flower-pin-vintage

Video produced, shot and edited by: Pam Kueber Abigail Fenton Kate B.

Reader Sarah has been collecting vintage enamel flower pins for 11 years now and has 200+ — many of which she displays on this mannequin.

1. Vintage enamel flower pins

costume jewelry

Pam “collaged” her vintage pins onto a vintage dressmaker’s dummy.

Vintage costume jewelry may make a great gift for the retro-loving minimalist. My personal favorites are flower power enamel pins. Not only are they a bit of a bright summer day in the midst of winter — but they are very versatile. These colorful pins can be used as intended to brighten up a coat or outfit, clipped onto a necklace or even used as decor. Hang a ribbon or a small cork board filled with these flower pins on the wall to create instant art — or display them like Pam and attach them to a vintage dressmaker’s dummy. They can be found very inexpensively at yard and estate sales as well as on Etsy, Ebay and in vintage shops. Also, vintage jewelry does not take up a lot of space.

2. Fiesta ware pieces

As someone who loves colorful dishes, Fiesta ware has been a favorite gift of mine for several years. These dishes are well made, dishwasher and microwave safe, come in a variety of colors and are made in the USA. What more could you want in a gift? I’m particularly in love with the new color Homer Laughlin added to the Fiesta ware collection — Flamingo. Giving one or two pieces of Fiesta ware a year can — over time — help to build a lovely set of dishes. Can one ever really have too many plates, mugs or bowls? [Pam comments: Yes. I have, like, dinner service for 100. Beware.]

3. Blankets and sheets

Since I live in the arctic tundra — also known as the state of Wisconsin — gifts of warm blankets and flannel sheets can help make the coldest part of the year a little more cozy. I’d rather have one well-made wool blanket or quality flannel sheet than 10 that fall apart a little more with every wash. Consider splurging for high quality flannel pillow cases one year, fitted sheet the next, etc. By buying solid colors, you can mix and match without worrying about paying for a complete set in one shopping trip.

4. Vintage Vera scarf or tea towels

Similar to the concept of the enamel flower pins — vintage Vera Neumann scarves can often be picked up very cheaply at yard sales, estate sales and thrift stores. They take up little space and are very versatile. They can be worn as intended, hung on the wall as art and made into decorative pillows. If the recipient of your gift really isn’t a scarf person, vintage Vera tea towels have much of the same charm — and you can use them every day in your kitchen. Go ahead: Use them!, Vera would have wanted you to!

5. Socks or slippers

Another gift that is great for making winter feel more cozy are wool socks and slippers. When my feet are cold, I’m cold — that’s why I usually double these up and wear wool socks with slippers over them while I’m hanging out around the house. This is even a great idea for those in warmer climates — simply buy lighter weight slippers and socks to match the climate where your gift recipient lives.

paints6. A piece for the collection or materials for hobbies

If you know that your mother collects anything with a hippo on it or your best friend likes to paint in her spare time — why not give them another piece for their collection or art supplies to create with? Maybe their collection is seasonal — my mother-in-law collects Santa decorations that she displays all over the house at Christmas. Whether you are buying them a few skeins of yard to knit with or a set of screwdrivers, you know your thoughtful gift will be used, displayed and appreciated.

7. Holiday ornament

Every year since I was a little girl, my mother has gotten me an ornament for the Christmas tree. At first they were put on the tree at my parent’s house — but now that I’m out on my own — I have a whole box of ornaments for my own tree. For the last few years, I’ve been receiving a pink flamingo ornament, and now I have a mini collection of those for my tree. This kind of gift is great — they will be opened and enjoyed for the holiday and then packed up until next year with the other decorations. There is no stress over what shelf it will “live on” and every holiday when the ornament is unpacked, a memory of the previous holiday will be unpacked with it. Ornaments can be vintage, store bought or even handmade.

8. Food and drink

My best friend lives in Cleveland, Ohio — very near a small chocolate shop that makes the best chocolates I have ever tasted. Every year for my birthday and sometimes again on Christmas, I get a small box full of decadent treats — which I savor and do not even share with my husband! There are plenty of special treat type foods and drinks that can be sent for the holidays — chocolates, good cheese, fancy coffee, flavored olive oil, red wine or spirits even gourmet popcorn. The key is knowing the taste of the recipient and making it special — something they would not ordinarily buy for themselves.

note-cards

9. Stationery

Vintage communication — also known as snail mail — is still fun to us retro loving types. Stationery is always a good gift for people like myself who write thank you notes, feel-better letters and other correspondence the old fashioned way — in the mail. Notecards that reflect the person who is sending them — like my Pantone color notes which are a great choice for a graphic designer — have extra thought built in.

10. Tickets or passes to an event, museum or concert

Often, the most memorable and treasured gifts are experiences. Why not get passes to go to the art museum with your art loving friend, see a play or go to a concert. Even movie passes that you pledge to use together for a night on the town are a great gift. These kind of gifts create memories and strengthen bonds between friends and family — and isn’t that the best gift of all?

Comments

1. Marta says

Robin got me thinking that you could combine a lust for vintage and thrifting and homemade treats for inexpensive gifts. A vintage lidded Pyrex or other casserole picked up for a couple of dollars would make a great container for cookies. A set of glasses could hold different candies. Of course, you’d have to think about postage for out-of-towners.

• Robin, NV says

I send the candy in reusable Tupperware-like containers but I could totally send it in a thrift store or garage sale find. What a great idea! Very much in the spirit of “reduce, reuse, recycle.” My mom loves vintage Pyrex . . .

I was also thinking of making my sisters and sisters-in-law vintage-inspired aprons this year.

• Marta says

Oh, I love aprons. I’m making one for the door prize for my cookie exchange. I was thinking for a game prize, I’d make a set of reusable gift bags (I’ve got a lot of Christmas fabric in my stash). I thought a couple different sizes with wide ribbon drawstrings that could be pulled tight and tied into a pretty bow. I’m making fudge for another game prize.

• nina462 says

I did the aprons a couple years ago – with matching pot holders. I used a cherry print fabric – two different version, each one trimmed with the other (kind of a mix & match) – for my two nieces. Cherry orchards were in our family – so I made it reflect their heritage.

2. Marta says

Forgot to mention, if money is just too tight for gifts for people to whom you’d really like to give something, homemade gift coupons for something useful you can do for the recipient are always welcome. A coupon for scrubbing floors or bathrooms, a car wash, lawn mowing, mending, etc. What grandma wouldn’t like her floor scrubbed for her?

3. Sarah g says

Thanks for posting the pic of my flower pin collection Kate! My mom always gives me a few that she finds throughout the year for Christmas!

Another great gift (that I bought for myself this year) is the magic wand portable scanner!!!! Sooo cool! It’s the size of a hair straightener and can hold up to 9,000 scans and scans up to four feet long! Perfect when sharing recipes and photos, or scanning from books or while vintage shopping… Love that fabric on a vintage clothing item but can’t fit into it or want to buy it? Just scan the fabric and you can use the print in so many multimedia ways!

4. Diane in CO says

What about BOOKS????? It wouldn’t be Christmas around here without books. If the recipient likes collectibles of some kind, check out the Schiffer Books on a variety of topics including classics like Depression Pottery, American Dinnerware and one of my favorites, Everyday Elegance: 1950’s Plastic Design (I’m one of those dish freaks too — Russel Wright, Ben Siebel, Tamac, Pacific Pottery, Holiday by Kenro Melmac, Hall China and lots of cool restaurantware, etc.)

Also, obtain cool vintage Real Photo POSTCARDS at a show, antique mall or best of all Ebay that are of a person’s hometown, meaningful vacation spot, favorite mountain, lake, lighthouse, etc. and then have them ENLARGED onto cardstock (costs me 99 cents). You can frame them or just have them matted and recipient can frame if they want. Makes a great gift!!!

I have recently gotten some old advertising postcards of vintage “modern” kitchens. Just about any topic or category is available in a vintage PC. Once I framed old real photo postcard “enlargements” of our old airport — which is now a “New Urbanism” residential community –and gave them as a wedding gift to a young couple who had just bought a home in this new development. Nice record of the “vanished landscape.”

You can also enlarge onto cardstock tiny photos of common ancestors as a gift for a relative interested in family history or geneology. Make them bigger and you see so much more in the photo too!

Love the flower pin swimsuit on the mannequin!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5. Laura T says

A membership or tour tickets to a local historic house museum makes a great gift. You could also include a book on the house or architectural style.

6. tammyCA says

I told my husband to please tell people to get me a gift certificate to Etsy. That way I can buy the exact vintage or craft supplies I want. I also always get gift certificates to Michaels, but I am overloaded with new supplies…I need & want vintage.

• tammyCA says

Forgot to say that I love the flower pins on the black mannequin! I have a very small collection of flower pins that I put in milk glass vases. I am old enough to remember when these pins were IN style and cost so little at the drug store.

7. tammyCA says

For the bakers…a great idea to make for gift giving would be homemade vanilla extract (Martha Stewart and others have recipes online). I’ve been meaning to do this myself…it lasts forever and it has to taste better than the store bought & the good ones are very $$.

8. Rick S says

I love the ideas and want to add mine. Shop your house for presents. I have dishes, towels, Christmas ornaments, frames, etc that are nice usable items ready to be loved. I don’t mean your cast-offs that no one wants. When you let some items go to make room think of someone who will love it. Pass on that family piece or make copies of grandparents or cousins photos and put them in a suitable old frame ready to display. It takes more time to really think of who would love an item but you get to enjoy them getting it.

I loved hearing the ideas for a punch bowl and the snack plates. I think the snack plates are due for a comeback with the tvs getting so big everyone spends more time or has more people over to watch tv.

rick