Vintage enamel table top — New Old Stock — Kuehne Khrome sold by Sears

porcelain enamel table topaugust-1947Look at this rare and lovely prettiness: A porcelain enamel table top — New Old Stock — manufactured in August 1947 — painted with lovely brown scallops and green tulips over a creamy faux bois background. I don’t have the back story, but I do have permission to publish the photos of this marvelous ebay listing currently under way.

porcelain enamel table topYou will recall, I just recently published reader Robin’s genius idea to repurpose table tops like these as kitchen islands or whatnot.

porcelain-table-top-NOSDon’t think I didn’t contemplate keeping this find all to my evil grabby self, to use somehow in my office, where I am still assembling counter top areas.

kuehne-kraftLucky for somebody else maybe, I am not in the spendy mood right now.

porcelain enamel table topListing says:

…a Vintage New (NOS) NEVER USED Porcelain Enamel Table Top GREAT BROWN & GREEN WITH WHAT LOOKS LIKE TULIPS.  It was found in the original shipping box from Sears and Roebuck THE BOX WAS ALL DRYED OUT SO IT WAS TOSSED.  This table top measures 42×32 LEAFS ARE 12X32. IT HAS NO DAMAGE NO DINGS BREAKS OR REPAIRS. There is a sticker on the white table part that says ” Stainless Porcelain Enamel Vitreo, Vitreous Steel Products Steel Co, Cleveland, Ohio.  There is another sticker that says Genuine Porcelain Enamel, The Lifetime Finish.

Note, the sticker on the front indicates the table top was made by Kuehne Khrome, which calls this a Kuehne Art Kraft Porcelain Top.

Who wants it?

[link long gone]

• hannah says

Well, if one were to be the first to chip it, at least then it would begin to tell it’s story. Right now, it has none. :)

1. Marty says

I’m not interested in this table top, but I have a similar one in the garage that I’m not using because the base has four corner legs that made it clumsy with the booth seats I have in the snack bar. I just realized–duh!–that I can probably put the enamel top on the pedestal base I’m using. Stay tuned…

just looking at this..i have a table like this except in red and black on a white with a greyish grain top with chrome legs…its prettier with the one showing here in green and browns… I had thought it was bells but now i see it as tulips..
    ill end up selling this in time when i find a top without red. I so love this site…never know what shows up….

3. Suzanne says

Love your site! I’ve only been reading for a few months. I have a vintage enamel table from my mother-in-law’s mother. It’s the red and white with chrome legs. My problem is the chrome legs! They have deteriorated beyond repair and I have no idea where to find replacements. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Suzanne, I don’t know the answer to this one. You can watch ebay like a hawk, I think that i have seen NOS come up, on occasion. But rarely, this is probably a long long long shot that would require a serious intervention by the Retro Decorating Gods.

Are you sure you can’t clean the chrome? Use the search box – we have a few stories on this…

• Suzanne says

Thanks for the quick response and NO the chrome on 3 out of 4 legs is totally shot. It was stored in a barn and has rusted beyond repair. I have been looking on ebay and anywhere else I can think of but thanks. We are going to try a fabrication friend we have and then maybe have the legs (if it works) powder-coated.