Make your old wall-hung or pedestal bathroom sink pretty — with a “sink skirt”

sink-skirt-instructions-retrovintage-red-and-black-sink-skirt-NIBHere’s one straight from Granny’s decorating tool box: Sink skirts. You don’t see these much anymore, so we were excited to spot this  NOS Vintage Bathroom Sink Skirt in white, black and red for sale on Ebay from seller picnic21. That’s right — this vintage sink skirt — designed by Jane de Jonge and marketed by “By Appointment”, with a Fifth Avenue New York City address — looks fresh from its 1950s? 1960s? 1970s? factory — still in its original box with instructions and price tag.

retro-red-black-and-white-sink-skirtFrom the Ebay listing:

New Old Stock, box shows lots of wear…1970′s(?) any info welcomed…couldn’t find anything on this company name By Appointment or designer name on skirt Jane de Jonge……care instructions included…Fabric Excelon-vinyl….31 1/2″ long x 54″ wide…band is 2 1/4″ thick. White, red and black… designer name appears 4 times around skirt.

jane-de-jong-on-sink-skirtI’ve never heard of Jane de Jonge — have you? A quick internet search came up with no leads.

retro-sink-skirt-for-kitchen-sinkThis sink skirt is simple and classic — in great vintage colors. This sink skirt would look great on a white, yellow, pink, blue, green — heck nearly any pastel vintage sink.

sink-skirt-tagIt is always neat to see vintage goods in their original packaging.

retro-vintage-sink-skirt-NIB

retro-sink-skirt-new-in-box

The sink skirt attaches to the sink with an adhesive strip — all the sink skirts I’ve come across before have been held up by elastic or ties — does this make it a woddity?

sink-skirt-retro-edging

care-instructions-retro-sink-skirtThe adhesive must be reusable since the care instructions say to fold the adhesive into itself for washing and then reattach. This leads me to believe that the adhesive could still be strong even after all these years.

sink skirtIt’s sort of unusual, we think to see a sink skirt that attached on the outside. We think it’s more typical to attach the skirt from under the sink apron — like Laura did in her charming kitchen renovation.

cottage kitchenWould we use a sink skirt on a wall hung sink like this? Maybe! Just stay on top of the hairballs underneath!

Comments

1. MbS says

My granny had one in her Leavenworth, KS house. I think about doing this with an oilcloth or laminated fabric for wiping clean.

THANK YOU.

2. Laura MacKay says

I did a cover for my wall hung sink at my old house. I used a curtain panel and some of that stick on Velcro strips. It worked wonderfully. You just put a line of the velcro on the sink, and a line of it at the top of the curtain panel, then stick it together. It’s easy to take off for cleaning and getting under the sink, but stays up very well. I found a curtain that fit almost perfectly for my sink, so i didn’t need to hem it anywhere, but you may only have to adjust one or two sides, or just fold them down at the end and at the base. It worked really well for me. And it was easy to coordinate with the curtains on the little window, since I used the same curtains for that.

3. Laura E. says

There’s a children’s book called The Girl Who Listened to Sinks about a lonely little girl. “Lonely because Mother’s preoccupied with a job she hates and the kids at school are “mean,” a little girl finds solace in conversations with things–a sheet that says “Ouch!” if she pulls too hard, toothpaste that giggles when squeezed, and especially the friendly bathroom sink. The girl makes the sink a ruffly skirt [because it complains about its skinny legs], which starts a lucrative fad; the child and her mother are soon selling so many sink skirts that they can move to a seaside house (loyally taking along the sink).” It’s out of print now but it’s a lovely, offbeat story.

4. nina462 says

I put one up in my 70′s town house bathroom – that’s where kitty had her litter dish. Hidden away :)
    My grandparents didn’t have the sink skirt – but we did make cupboard skirts for the cupboards (they didn’t have doors). I remember my mom sewing them. Wish I had a picture of them, as the house is long gone. I still remember the pattern -little flowers in orange, red, blue, yellow.

• says

Nita, I think your teensy bathroom looks beautiful! Love the sink skirt matching the shower curtain. Black & white scheme is very classy, too! (My mom did that once also!) The mirror above your sink is just gorgeous, and maybe it would look nice with a pretty glass shelf just under it above your back splash. Fancy black brackets to match your picture frames would look beautiful holding it!!!

• Ana says

nice, stylish but smiple red skirt ensemble. throwing on a dress/skirt in the morning seems so tedious to me; however, over the past few months, i’ve convinced myself that wearing pretty needs to be a bigger part of my life. it’s becoming such a joy to throw on a great dress in the morning. it’s light, sweet, freeing, and beautiful. thanks for the reminder!

5. Allen says

My mother made one of these for her wall hung sink in the 90′s (she wanted a vanity sink very badly) and I thought the skirt idea was great. Her’s was attached on the outside of the sink as well. She used it for about 15 years and then dad replaced it with a vanity sink :(. I always thought is was creative. (Note: no sinks were harmed in the replacement with a vanity. The old sink was donated to another homeowner that wanted a wall hung sink!)

6. Rick S says

I made a sink skirt for my mom-in-law’s halfbath. I used periwinkle blue cotton with 1/4 inch stitched on piping. I also made cafe curtains and valance to match. The walls were “sponge” painted (late 80′s) and It looked so cute.
    rick

My mum always made her own sink skirts for the bathroom. She usually used curtains so that they would match the window and shower curtains. I think she put hooks on each side of the sink, then used elastic on the curtain to go around the sink and hold it in place. It always looked nice, but then my mother was extremely house-proud!!!!

8. Tom D. says

Not 50′s or even early 60′s, there is a zip code on the instructions. Also, the label on the box looks like a computer label. I’m thinking 70′s or 80′s.

9. Olivia says

I made a skirt for the wall hung sink in my 1936 bathroom. The room was minuscule and had no storage so the skirt allowed me to hide a few items from view.

10. tammyCA says

I’d like to have a sink skirt on our wall hung sink & hide the spotty pipes, but since it is mostly dh’s bathrm I can’t…and, since he always wants a vanity and I want to keep the original I try not to bring attention to it.
    I remember a poster had a cute retro undersink trolley with shelving and a curtain..wish I could find one of those.
    Did all vintage sink skirts have elastic to hold them up before the invention of velcro (which, I personally dislike)?
    Also, I just love Laura’s cute pink/aqua kitchenette! Makes me want to bake cupcakes.

11. Genevieve says

My guess is late 70′s to early eighties from the illustration. The box design looks earlier, late 60′s. If the price tag is what it originally sold for, that would have been very pricey for anything earlier than the late 70′s. I don’t think the label is computer generated, I think it is done with a rotary rubber stamp gun thing-a-mabobber. The letters aren’t all lined up. If I had to place a bet on a date I would guess 1982, I don’t know why. I would put a range between 1975 and 1984. The sink pictured is older than that, but it would be an old type sink for the 60′s. If it was the 60′s, with a $25 price tag, I would expect a sleeker looking sink. I love guessing dates, esp. for old movies.

12. lisa says

I made a sink skirt for the wall-hung sink at our old house. It was my own design — I didn’t want ruffles, so I sewed a lined panel each for the front, left and right sides. Nothing fancy, just my chosen fabric sewn to some white liner pillowcase-style. Then I cut and hemmed a mini panel to fit in each corner and bound it all together around the top with a 2″ “waistband.” I put it on the sink with velcro as someone described above. Had to buy two sets of velcro because I could not sew the sticky kind — the needle got icky. So self-stick on the sink, regular on the skirt.

13. Alison Schmidt says

I made one for my 1945 powder room that attached on the outside, just like Lisa’s, with 2 kinds of velcro. If you have a good sewing or upholstery shop nearby, usually you can buy single sections of Velcro – sticky back male (hook) side, and sew-on femail (loop) side, instead of buying both. I made mine gathered, with piping b/w the top band and skirt, but I have also made a tailored version with 3 flat panels, overlapped at ther corners of the sink. It’s a great place to hide a litter box, and the cat can just step b/w the panels.

14. Marta says

My MIL’s tiny laundry/powder room is right off the main living area, and has a wall-hung sink directly in front of the door, so it’s always worn a skirt since they put it in.We experimented with a lot of ways of attaching it when she wanted to replace the skirt and attach it from the inside instead of the outside. Velcro finally won out.

If you’re attaching on the outside, I tend to favor elastic stretched from hooks on either side of the sink on the wall. You can make a casing to run the elastic through, or just fold the material over it.

15. Coraun says

Pam, I adore your website. Over the last 4 years I have researched it extensively to put my gramma (built in 1942) house back to it’s original state. I just want to put out there that those of us with very small spaces, sink skirts don’t work. I love the look of them but they are the opposite of what is suggested to visually open up an already small space. Could we raise the eye and see some 1940′s window treatments?