Kate finalizes design ideas for her master bathroom remodel — a vintage pink bathroom, from scratch!

Retro-Pink-master-bathroom-mood-boardIt’s been a while since there’s been an update on my retro modern master bath remodel – for good reason — much vintage hunting, thinking and planning has been going on. The more I thought — the more the realization that I was leaning towards a retro pink bathroom with a touch of modern instead of a 50/50 split sunk in. While the clean lines of a modern styled bathroom are pleasing, nothing has been making me happier than all the finds sent my way via the Retro Decorating Gods. It was becoming apparent that my house was sending messages via Ebay and the ReStore — and wanted me to be true to 1962. I’ve finalized the list of products I’m planning to use, what do you think of my design? –>

Retro-Pink-master-bathroom-mood-board1. Vintage mirror/medicine cabinet combo. This is the real deal — heavy and well constructed. I actually have two identical mirrors like this now. The first was bought on Ebay — cost was $100 delivered. A few weeks later — another in slightly worse shape showed up at my local Restore — and was mine for $25 (just call me a vintage mirror hoarder). I’ll probably have to get new mirrored doors cut at my local glass shop, but still — two old mirrors are much less than the cost of the same size new Commodore style mirror from Nutone — which will run you $275. Of course I’ll only use one of them for this bathroom, but it is nice to have a backup or another to use when I finish the basement bath.

2. Bath bar light. I’ve decided that a bar style light will work best in my master bath — especially with the mirror. Currently the 24 inch Nuvo Lighting U channel light with diamond pattern is the fixture of choice.

pink-american-standard-sink-1960s3. Vintage Pink American Standard Sink — recently found on Craigslist for $25. Incredibly it is an exact match with the wall tile.

4. Boomerang Laminate countertops. Our recent story — 24 colors of boomerang laminate available today — made me consider this as a countertop option. A sample of  “Retro Pop” and “Glacier” are on their way from Heffrons.com.

5. Oak wood vanity. Since all of the wood in my 1962 ranch is oak with a pecan stain — including the current original vanity — why shouldn’t it retain this original style feature? At first I considered using a dresser as a vanity — a candidate was found — but ultimately, the dresser in question was a few inches too long for the space. Since then — after much research — I’ve decided to built my own vanity. Wish me luck!

vintage-amerock-starburst-knob-and-backplate vintage-amerock-chrome-knob-and-backplate-starburst

6. Vintage Amerock chrome starburst backplate and knobs. Let the drooling begin — I won five of these on Ebay (they weren’t cheap, but are so cool) and with the help of my new favorite cleaning product (story to come, we’re trying to get the MSDS), I got them shiny like new — on left is what they originally looked like after being salvaged from a gutted house — on right is what they look like now.

7. Kohler Taboret low arch bath faucet. Since my vintage mirror has a protruding medicine cabinet, and the vintage sink is a four inch spread — this low arch bath faucet from Kohler will work wonderfully. The design is modern with a vintage feel — I dig it. It is a little more costly that I was hoping for — but I am not 100% committed to this faucet — something similar would also be great for my bathroom remodel.

8. Pink 70W tile from B&W tile.

9. Rejuvenation Starburst towel racks. From day one, these have been the towel bars for me.

10. University Pink floor tile from Merola/Somer Tile.

retro-pink-master-bath-mock-up2

Are you wondering how all of this will come together? Above is a little mock up of the type of bath cabinet that I’m planning to construct. It will be situated between the outer wall and wall separating it from the shower instead of free standing as shown in the picture. This retro modern bathroom vanity has the look of a dresser, but will be constructed in place — as a custom built in.  The legs will be coming from TableLegs.com. To save myself — a novice carpenter — too much stress, interior drawer boxes will be purchased pre-made.

I plan to tile all the walls — instead of just the inside of the shower as originally planned — and am on the fence about using all pink wall tiles (as shown above) or “trimming” the pink tiles on the top with white (as show below). What do you like best?
retro-pink-master-bath-mock-upNOS-vintage-Cannon-bath-towels-pinkIf all of the above awesome vintage finds weren’t enough — looky what else I have — a perfectly matched set of NOS Cannon bath towels, hand towels and wash cloths.

vintage-pink-bath-towels-cannonThey couldn’t be a closer match to the tiles. The idea to track down vintage towels came to me after reading Pam’s story about vintage towels — and yes, they are a little smaller than I am used to — but they are perfect for the bathroom. Larger supplementary towels can also be found later.

So there you have it — with the key decisions made — my retro modern master bathroom remodel has become retro with a dash of modern. All of the current selections are making me very happy — which signals to me that it is time to start getting quotes, looking into permits, psyching myself up for another big project and ordering massive amounts of tile. Pam has also reminded me to take care when planning any demolition to ensure I consult with a properly licensed professional about what’s in the vintage layers of my “old” bathroom, so I’ll be doing that, too.

See all of Kate’s stories about her master bathroom remodel

Comments

1. lynda says

Kate, this is perfect. Aren’t you glad you were patient and found just the right elements? I think I would add the white bullnose tile around the top of the wall because you will probably use white towels in the bath for everyday use. I love white towels. They are easy to keep clean and they have a spa look to them. The white trim and the towels will be part of the color scheme. The pink towels can sort of be the decoration so they will last …. forever! Good luck on your carpentry job! Does Ikea have any oak cabinets right now? I know some use the above the refrigerator cabinets to create a floating vanity. Or you could look at other cabinet manufacturers above the refrigerator cabinets. (24″ deep) If you use the legs, just make sure you protect the bottoms of the legs with something to protect them from wicking water. Maybe the acrylic chair glides you tap in would work. I think a floating cabinet would be nice too and easier to clean the floor.

• RangerSmith says

I second Lynda’s comments: white bullnose & some white towels. Oddly, white towels are the easiest to keep clean and of course they never fade so they last longer. Use some bleach and they stay bright. Yikes, I sound like I’m channelling Helpful Hints from Heloise. Anyway, this is going to be a great looking, authentic & functional bathroom, good job Kate!

2. JKaye says

Hi Kate. Those are great choices, and seem to work really well together. I love the shade of pink, which looks slightly peachy. My favorite part is the floor tile. I am only ho hum regarding the white bullnose. I keep thinking about sizzle strips, since seeing them in Mike and Lindsey’s bathrooms in recent posts. I saw a white sizzle strip with a gold design in a house for sale last year, and it was so pretty. But, using all pink tile with a pink bullnose would be very clean and sophisticated. What fun for you, making such choices. Good luck!

• Kate says

Thanks JKaye! I did think about adding some of the sizzle strips that Pam found on Ebay last week — however I decided that the sizzle strips were not what my house wanted. I’m trying to let my house be my guide whenever I come to a design decision that I’m unsure of. All the bathrooms in the house are quite plain as far as the tile goes. The whole feel of the house is pretty streamlined 1960s. If I had a 1950s house, I would have been all over the sizzle strips, but ultimately, I didn’t feel they were right for my bathroom project — which is too bad because they are AWESOME! :)

• Lisa says

i saw those strips last week and jumped on them for my mid 50s ohio ranch kitchen. i plan on white subway tile the wall behind the sink and range, and using the sizzle strip in it as an accent. cant believe i found something so nice on e bay! Next i have to find a decent recessed medicine cabinet for the bathroom.

• Shara says

You know what would be cool in the plain pink section above the tiles? Doing the same starburst pattern that is on the pulls in Silver or white paint. I have seen this done before in vintage bathrooms, I think even on the Retro Renovations website. It adds a little character to the room and brings the pulls into the entire room design.

3. George says

If money were no object and I could have my choice of a big modern mansion with all the trimmings that we see on TV these days, I’d choose this instead…by a mile.

4. Nancy says

Excellent choices and this room is going to be so much fun for us to actually watch come to life! I have to vote for matching pink bullnose tile as it adds to the sleek and clean feel of the space. There will be a lot else (all good!) going on and the continuation of the pink will be a restful respite. The white in the counter top, floor tiles, light cover and linens will be just enough to accent off of the pink.

Think about perhaps using some of your floor tiles to create a shower niche. Ana White has a website where she posts easy building plans for DIY furniture for the masses. Check out everything she and her followers have built and posted pics of on the site. There is sure to be something you could adapt for your vanity.

It’s not even my bathroom – but I’m excited just the same!

• Janet in CT says

I am with Nancy and like the idea of pink bullnose. And do yourself a favor and don’t use white grout on the floor. It is beautiful for a short while and then it looks dirty and is so difficult to clean (for us old folks with bad backs anyhow). I would go with light gray grout. I love everything you chose! Great job! As for finding vintage towels, grannies tended to save those gift sets. My gramma and aunt lived together and had boxes of them they never opened! And heaven forbid if one of us grimy kids reached for the fancy towels they hung up for show! We got our little hands slapped!

• Kate says

Yes! No white grout on the floor for me. I’ve learned my lesson (in my last house) about white on floors. Never again!

When the time comes, I’ll have to do a test between grey grout and beige grout — the floor tiles are pink white and beige, wonder if the beige (if dark enough) would show dirt more than grey????

• wendy in st louis says

For your grout, I highly recommend Custom Building Products #380 – Haystack. When I installed 700sf of tile two houses ago, my tiler recommended it for that “color of cement” look. It does NOT look that way on the card. I got samples of it and the one I chose, and did a test board by gluing pieces of broken tile to scrap plywood, then grouting. My tiler was right….after letting it cure for a day or so, Haystack was the perfect cement color.

color card: http://www.homedepot.com/hdus/en_US/DTCCOM/HomePage/Brand_Pages/Custom_Building_Products/Docs/Grout_Card.pdf

Whatever you choose, definitely do a test board as described above. It is amazing what color grout actually dries to. Had I used my choice, it would have looked bad….my pick dried with a decidedly peach tone. yech.

I love all of your choices, and that countertop is in the running for my kitchen. I am ordering a sample soon. Almost forgot to mention that I agree with not using a white bullnose, but do consider a plain white liner near the top – above or below the first full tile.

5. linda h says

Waiting anxiously for the story on your favorite new cleaning product. Have some drawer knobs that need attention.

6. pam kueber says

Regarding the bullnose trim tiles: How is your other bathroom done? Does it have other-color trim tiles? If so, I’d do white trim in this bathroom, too, because you know me, all about the matchy-matchy. I personally like the way that white trim makes the color of the field tile pop all the more. But, this is all personal preference — either way is “right” and “authentic”!

• Kate says

In all the bathrooms in my house, the bullnose tile matches the main wall tile color. Two out of three bathrooms (current master and green and white hall bath) have a few contrasting squares randomly in the tile design — Green bath is white salt & pepper tile with a few green tiles mixed in and master is maroon tile with a few peach mixed in. The other bath (laundry room) is all the same tile.

ok. then do the pink match. problemo: solved! yes, by ’62 the trend may well have been: away with the contrasting bullnose.

7. MikeD says

Think you have a good plan there. Solid choices.

I would do the white bull nose tile. It will break the up the pink a little bit and add some detail for the eye. Maybe also consider a white tile trim at the floor or the decorative strips below the bull nose? Just something more to break things up a bit. How high up the wall are you going with the tile?

-Mike

8. Jay says

Looking Good! Go with all pink wall tile. Monochromatic is more mod looking. If desiring a retro look, go with a contrast shade of dark pink, black or maroon bullnose tile. Sounds like you have a great plan!

9. J D Log says

Kate this is so much more better then your original plan. This is a bathroom that I could live with. To break up the pink I liked Jay’s idea of black bull nose tile. I would go with vintage blue towels as well for contrast. The only thing I am bit uncertain of is the taps reminds me of the hospital or the dentist which they use with their elbows.
    Keep up the good work, looks like your research is now paying dividends

10. Diane in CO says

I vote for the white bullnose tile. Your husband probably won’t fight you for the pink towels and you’ll have white towels as well. Love your concept. I didn’t see it mentioned, but do you have a pink lav, I assume….?

• Kate says

The toilet we currently have is a peachy pink — It is a newer (meaning probably installed in the late 90s) Kohler toilet. Our plan is to keep this toilet — if when we get all the tile in it doesn’t look right (too peachy or something of that nature) we will likely replace with a white toilet. I had the opportunity to buy a matching pink toilet with the sink, but I prefer the newer water saving units myself. If only they made new ones in that same pink!

• Jamie D says

Kate, have you checked the Gerber Viper toilets? They make new toilets in several retro colors – Bahama Pink looks like it might be a match for you.

• Kate says

I hadn’t looked at that…I’ll have to visit a showroom in my area to see if the pink matches, assuming I don’t keep my existing pinky peach potty. :)

We will be doing a very similar restoration in our hall bath (& master bath later) in Coral & Gray. We found 2 of the Nutone cabinets NOS in our Re-store for $40 ea (they will go in the master bath as this one has an inset wall cabinet). I restored the original (painted) vanity cabinet, found a square coral sink for $15 (Re-store), and an original Thermador toilet in the same color. We just need to get our original tub (now yellow) re-glazed in the coral. We’ll be using the starburst hardware (also have a double horizontal wall light w/ a starburst pattern (again, re-store) & will do a starburst stenciling on one wall. Gray Ann Sacks starburst tiles will accent the tub/shower surround, and charcoal boomerang on the countertop. The final touch will be Johnsonite VCT tiles on the floor. The master bath will be done similarly in aqua & yellow (along w/ the kitchen)… ;-)

12. JohnnyBerry says

We re-did (restored) the bathroom in our 1951 ranch in 2009. It had been renovated sometime in the 1980’s and only the cabinets were original.

We opted for black & white tile with white fixtures only because of a time crunch and we couldn’t find the pink we liked – Kohler had salmon but not pink. We found awesome pink wall & floor tiles but the fixtures were more “Golden Girls” mauve.

There’s not a day that goes by that I wish we had bit the bullet and stayed in our apartment one more month in order to have a pink bathroom.

Now we are considering adding a master suite to the house so I can have a pink bathroom.

Based on the selections above we do have the Kohler Taboret low arch bath faucet. I love the look but don’t like the low arch – when washing my hands, my knuckles rub on the side of the sink.

• Kate says

I’ll take that into consideration — thanks! Like I mentioned, I’m not 100% set on the faucet — it was just something I was considering. A faucet is something I could wait until closer to the end of the project to decide on. I’ve been looking at higher arched faucets, but I have to figure out it they would interfere with the mirrored cabinet.

13. miya says

I vote for the white bullnose tile, or just using different color towels with the pink ones to bring in some color. I have 2 NOS mirrored medicine cabinets (like the ones below the wall mirror) that open down and have a little shelf inside. I think I paid $5 each at an estate sale years ago and they have been in my basement ever since. I live in a 2-story with wrap-around porch but still have dreams of buying a 60’s ranch and using all the “stuff” I have collected over the years.
    Best of luck!

Wonderful! And I love that you can put the sink in the bigger countertop. I’m beginning to scout for a sink to replace the Home Depot special currently in there, but I don’t want to lose counter space! A great way to go.

And those doorknobs are GORGEOUS!

• Vic says

We had a lovely, simple star knob on all our kitchen cabinets when we refinished them. However, it was gold, and we were doing chrome everything. The actual handle was very inexpensive to replace in chrome — but what to do about the back plates? Well, thank you Denver Bumper company. They chromed the backplates for $2 a pop. Auto shops are an incredible resource, they can do all kinds of things.

15. CT says

Yes! Please share the details on the mysterious cleaning product! I was just about to reluctantly replace some hardware – I would be ever so happy to keep it :)

16. angie says

Hi Kate- We bought the Kohler Taboret lav sets (and shower set) for our recent bathroom remodels and love them. You will not be disappointed in either the style nor the quality. They are pricey but worth it. (Side note: your medicine cabinet/mirror combination were the ones in my parents’ 1963 home. Theirs had a built in bar light than ran across the entire top.)

Your design looks lovely.

• Kate says

Thanks for adding your two cents about the Taboret faucet Angie — I’ll keep your comments in mind too!

Glad to know that the mirror/light bar combo is authentic 1960s! My house is a 1962.

17. Nancy B says

Kate- Your project looks great!! Can’t wait to see it completed! My vote is to continue all the way up with the pink. For my eye, if you were going to do another color at the top I would choose grey to match the grey in the counter top & grout of the floor? But, as everyone says, it is going to look great with any of your choices.

Good luck!! Lots of work ahead!!

18. Annie B. says

Congrats on your spectacular design ideas, kate. I am green with envy of this perfectly pink bath. Those door pulls are works of art. I love your idea of True to ’62.

A pink bathroom is my heart’s desire, but, alas, ours is white sheetrock with only light bars, sink, and shower door which are vintage (and white). I’m thinking pink with accessories and it seems to be working as the bath has taken on a rosy glow.

19. Robin, NV says

Looks awesome Kate and so glad to hear you’re “listening” to what your house wants. My house says “I’m a granny ranch, so don’t try to get too high end with me you little whippersnapper!” Actually, I think my house is enjoying all the attention it’s getting.

If I could just chime in on the bullnose debate with a suggestion. My blue bathroom has regency blue tile in the shower enclosure. The main 4 x 4 tiles are flat blue but the trim tiles are salt and pepper blue (well, speckled anyway). It provides a nice border without being too contrastry. Kate, I’m sure you’ve searched and agonized over finding the right tile, so finding the right bullnose might be asking too much but just wanted to throw my two cents in. You have a great eye, so do what seems right to you. I’m sure it will look great.

As an aside, I plan to use the same Merola floor tile in my blue bathroom – but in blue of course. Can’t wait to see what your floors look like installed.

• Kate says

Thanks for telling me about your salt and pepper bullnose tile, I hadn’t even considered that option! (my hall bath is all salt and pepper tile with green tiles here and there). Another possibility to consider!

• Robin, NV says

Kate – my house was also built in ’62 and if the blue tiles in my bathroom aren’t original, I’ll eat my hat. I could be wrong but I always think of strongly contrasting bullnose as more of a 40s-50s look than a 60s look. Same goes for sizzle strips. I think you’re dead on with matching the bullnose. As for my sugggestion – I would only go with speckled pink bullnose if B&W has your same pink in a speckled option.

I seem to be the minority but I wouldn’t use white bullnose with pink tiles. Modern white tile is just too white.

• tammyCA says

Our original ’54 baths have high contrast bullnose & tiles of teal with gray and the other bathroom was a reddish/brown next to pale yellow.
          I also don’t think the white bullnose would work in Kate’s early ’60s bathroom. Check out ’60s home magazines to see what they had..my mags are mostly ’40s.

20. TappanTrailerTami says

Just a minute for a quickie comment – Kate, I would be SO snatching up the swizzle tile – the 8th one down on the right hand side of tiles (pink/white) and running it under the top row of tile – it looks to be a perfect match, gets a tad bit of white in there, and even better, it picks up the diamond pattern of your light fixture!

Love the whole look, and especially LOVE your vanity design – it will be gorgeously retro! And score on the sink. And – do we *really* care about the MSDS sheet when the end result is outstanding (said in jest)? Those results are worth donning a full on hazmat suit if necessary!!

I had to read references to “white trim” three times, without being able to see it, before I went looking for it. The white does not show up in the mock-up on my screen, and, I suspect, won’t in reality, either. White will look pink. Sometimes I think it helps to look at a black & white (and gray) photo, just to consider contrasts. At any rate, not being able to see it as it really looks, I can’t really say which I prefer.

I assume the knobs are chrome, though they look like brass in the photo (also reflecting colors).

If you go with that laminate, there’s also the blue to work with, though I’m not sure about it, either (would like to see that color in a towel or trim, just to test it).

22. Lissie says

Looks good! I’ll be paying attention to the mirrors. My two salvaged mirrors like yours have plastic sliders in good shape on one and not so good shape on the other. I am considering installing both in our bathroom even though it is a single sink. But I’ll have to replace the plastic on both so they match. Or, like you suggest, have some mirrors cut.

• wendy in st louis says

Don’t limit yourself to mirrors! Find a glass place in your area and look at their samples. They have so many great patterns of glass that look retro! Bubble glass, “water” glass, reeded glass, and more. In the past I have used a local shower door place and also a “mom ‘n pop” store that catered to stained glass artists to make me custom sizes for various applications. They were not expensive, and because they were small/local operations, had fabulous customer service.

23. Kelly Wittenauer says

Never been a pink fan – but I like this. I’d skip the legs and make the vanity floating. More period looking & easier to clean under. It would have plenty of support with walls on three sides to not need the legs.

Waiting impatiently for the story on that cleaning product! I have a collection of old boat cleats to clean up for making a coat rack.

24. Janice says

Kate, I love all your selections and wish I had a countertop to use in my pink bathroom just so I could install that Retro Pop. The sink in my pink bathroom is a wall hung sink so that wasn’t an option for me. I only skimmed throught the comments so forgive me if this was already mentioned, but have you considered cutting your floor tile in 2 or 3 inch strips and adding that as a decorative border in your tile work. We did that in our pink, black and white bathroom and it really ties the floor in nicely. Regardless, my personal preference is top off the wall tile with a pink bullnose. I have boxes of 70W pink tile leftover from my pink bahtroom project. Wish I could get these to you as I would love to see them used in your fabulous bathroom.

• Vic says

I left a comment about the entire project below, as I’m trying to work on my 1960 peach pink bathroom. The fixtures happen to be the exact shade as Kate’s, as well as the original tile is a match to the one she’s picked. Anyway, one scheme we’ve thought about that relates to your idea was to tile the walls with standard white tile (cheap!) and add a 6″ or so stripe of the Merola floor tile to bring the pink of the tub/toilet sink into the tile scheme. We’re still deciding (these things take years for us) but I think it’s an interesting idea as well.

My in-laws had that exact light and mirror/medicine cabinet until a few years ago when they tore it out for something more modern. I would like to think that they gave it to a Restore or thrift, but highly doubt it.

Love how the bath is all coming together. That tile is great, and that sink, incredible condition!

I love this! I’m usually not a fan of mixing patterns, but I adore your combination of the boomerang laminate and the University floor tile: just enough to make it zing, but not too chaotic. Although I personally like the white bullnose tile detail, I endorse you doing what the house tells you to do and it sounds like that’s using pink bullnose.

We are seriously considering the University Light Grey tile for our main bath makeover (retaining bright yellow original laminate counters.) So happy to see this!

27. lisa says

I love the idea someone mentioned of using the floor tile as trim on the walls.

Also, can’t you just install the cabinet a little higher to accommodate whatever sort of faucet you like?

• Kate says

I suppose I could, but I don’t want it to be too high. I’m only 5ft, 5 inches tall! — plus the ceiling in there is lower than the rest of the house (which has 8ft ceilings) We are looking into the implications of raising it up to the same height as other ceilings, but we won’t be sure if that is possible until we rip it down and see what’s going on up there. I’m not sure if it was a design choice to make the ceiling lower or if there is a reason…we’ll see!

• Lisa says

Hi Kate.. please can you let me know what you cleaned those starburst knobs with? ive got some pulls here in my 50s basement kitchen that are similarly tarnished and pitted, as well as a chrome Hendryx 50s Hat Box style bird cage. id really appricaite it!
        Lisa

It’s going to be absolutely perfect. I love the floor tile a lot. We have two of those Nuvo bar lights and really like them. They’re good quality and look completely period. We switched out the flower shaped screw covers for some plain round white ones that we got at Home Depot.

• Jamie D says

Good to hear. I hadn’t seen the Nuvo lights but I think I might be swiping Kate’s lighting idea for my bathroom reno. We just ripped out an awful bulkhead that covered harsh fluorescent lights and I’m looking for a period-appropriate bar light. This one might just do the trick, I’m glad to hear it’s good quality for such a low price.

29. oh Holland says

Love your mood board choices except for the boomerang countertop lam. To my eye, the organic shapes fight with the rest of the room’s motifs, which are crisper and geometric. To work the floor tile — which presents a lot of texture — I’d be inclined to do countertops in a solid or low-key textured laminate. That leaves more “room” for pattern on guest towels, curtains or wall art.

• oh Holland says

Would adore glitter-flake laminate on your counter. But that means more Retro Gods intervention — I’ve never seen new stock and think there is pent up demand for it (hello, Formica? WilsonArt? anybody listening?)

30. Paula says

It is going to be stunning! This question might be a little premature, but how are you planning on cleaning the shower day to day? We did a new tile bath a year ago and I am stressing over this. Currently we squeegy and use a neutral cleaner that American Olean sells. Iam curious if ROG is ok for day to day?

• Diane in CO says

You may be stressing because you feel you have to clean your shower tile every day – LOL Who does that?

Our showers are cleaned once a week. I guess you could spray Clean Shower on the tile to ward off any mold developing — and I do sometimes use that product after showering.

31. Scott says

My prediction: It’s going to come every bit as fantastic as your kitchen!

The pink vintage American Standard sink with (insert harp music please) Hudee Ring is going to be a real show stopper.

I’m looking forward to seeing all these magic elements come together.

32. karen miller says

Kate – this is so so close to my bathroom. I could send you some pic of the real deal if you want to see. I changed out the light fixture, but it was very similar to what you selected. Our vanity has the boomerang on top, sides and front. Our sink is the same, only square. We still have our original pink bathtub, but we replaced the pink toilet recently. Our tile is similar but more gray. the floor tile is gray with small pink, the wall tile is gray.

33. Vic says

I have to confess that I’ve been letting Kate do all the work, and then following her lead. I have EXACTLY the same shade of pink fixtures, and am replacing tile, counter and floor in my bath. I’ve sent for several of the same samples due to following Kate’s project , and it’s looking likely that I’ll be using the same wall tile as Kate. Ours will be different — brown accents and trim — we’re going to reproduce the tile layout and colors that were on the walls in the plastic original tiles that have worn out. We may use linoleum or vinyl for the floor, and the details are different, but the detailed information was priceless. If there is proof that this site is invaluable, this is it.

34. Susie says

I am also very much anticipating your post about your new found cleaning product. I have so many little vintage odds and ends whether it be nobs on furniture or the base of a lamp, that I’ve been waiting to clean/shine up, but don’t know exactly what to use. Can’t wait to read what it is!

Just love your flooring choice!

35. tammyCA says

Well, I’m pink with envy! The sink is yummy and I am indeed drooling over the starburst backplate knobs. So happy for you and your bathroom will be so awesome.
    I haven’t even begun to hunt & gather for our bathroom…I’m still on the fence about doing pink tile…I have many pink vintage items already and will that be too much? I also like the pretty soft green tile sample I have. If I ever find that vintage aqua tile that I have in my mind then that is what I want. I don’t even know what I really want to do…it is already the original ’54 tiled sink vanity and I feel sad thinking it will have to go…even ‘tho it isn’t in the greatest shape it is still original to the house. :(

• Chad D says

Tammy, another option is to do pink and aqua. I looked at a house recently (I think extensively renovated around 1958) that had a bathroom with pink field tile on the walls, but the bullnose bottom row of tiles, and the fixtures were aqua. The floor was a lighter shade of aqua similar to Kate’s floor tile, and the sink was a paler shade of pink cracked ice laminate. If you wanted to you could always reverse this and make an aqua bathroom with pink bullnose. I’d agree that if you have pink all over the place it might be better to do something else; my mom painted the woodwork in the living room gold instead of blue because she was worried about blue overload, and it might show off her blue stuff better.

36. Monica says

You are my hero! I am so glad I am not the only one out here who thinks pink bathrooms and knotty pine are the coolest stuff ever. Thanks for a great site.

Wow, that pink sink really takes me right back to my childhood:) It’s amazing how everything old becomes new again. And may I say, kudos to you for working so hard to make the bathroom historically accurate:)
    Maude

38. Mary Elizabeth says

Hi, Kate,

Just realized as I read your article again that the floor tile you purchased is the same as that in my 1950s pink bathroom. (I thought it was original, but we found out different while doing repairs.) For your readers, they should know it is available on line from Home Depot under “Merola mosaic tile University Pink.”

As for the grout, we repaired using a light gray that seemed to match what had been used originally. And between the tile and the tub we used a gray silicone caulking that was originally intended for use on cement. It just disappears into that tile!

Great ideas. Good luck building your vanity.

Yes, Mary Elizabeth — Kate talks about her floor tile in item #10 and links to our earlier story about all the colors available.

39. Joe Felice says

I think this will be beautiful. What ideas do you have for the tub/shower and toilet? I especially like the way the colors match or coordinate. The Retro Pop counter will be great, and I love the floor. I would trim the tile with black or burgundy, and not do all of the walls. Can’t wait to see the photos when it is done.

40. Joe Felice says

I like your choice of combos (the last one). Why not trim the tile with turquoise that matches that in the laminate (which I REALLY love!). This would bring it all together. On the computer, the tile still l0oks mauve or rosey to me.