Got Snow? Clean your rya rug in the snow — and make “snowtini’s” when you’re through!

clean rya rugs in snowThe whole East Coast is a buzzing about the snow — so I’m jumping on the snowwagon — remembering my story all about rya rugs, which I posted two years ago. The story included a delightful video by rugmaker Melinda Byrd, and I remembered didn’t she talk about cleaning rya rugs in the snow? Yes! I think that what she’s saying is that because virgin wool still contains its lanolin, the snow crystals glom on and carry away the dirt particles. I’m watching the skies (no big snow here in the Berkshires yet) and then I’m going to take my vintage V’Soske rya rug out for a spin.

Oh, and what if you don’t have a rya rug? How about making a snowtini. A fellow Berkshirite, Kevin Sprague, has made a video to show you how.

Snow? We’re making plans. But of course: #1: Be safe, everyone! Click on through for the two instructive videos:

Clean your virgin wool rya rug in the snow — starts at about 08:30:

My stories about rya rugs:

Make a snowtini — virgin blizzard snow only!:

Comments

1. Kate says

Oh man, why didn’t I know about the snowtini last night when we got 8 inches of snow??? I could have used one after all that shoveling!

Looks like more snow is on the way on sunday..have to try it then! :)

2. Scott says

I’m with Kate, wish I’d seen this last week.

I have a feeling the next time we get walloped with snow I’m not really going to mind that much.

3. philq says

Pam,

What do you know about V’Soske rigs? I recognized the name from some correspondence I have between the original owner of my house and the company. Apparently, the owner purchased carpet for the living room and front hall in 1956 for $4200 from V’Soske. Unfortunately, it no longer exists, but from pictures I have, it appeared to be monotone and heavily sculpted.

I don’t know anything… just that I have one. Click the link in the story where I mention it — you can see mine. Mine is a rug. $4200! Wow! That was a TON of money in 1956 — like, as much as a small house! Must have been awesome stuff. So sad it’s gone…

4. philq says

Pam,

What do you know about V’Soske rugs? I recognized the name from some correspondence I have between the original owner of my house and the company. Apparently, the owner purchased carpet for the living room and front hall in 1956 for $4200 from V’Soske. Unfortunately, it no longer exists, but from pictures I have, it appeared to be monotone and heavily sculpted.

5. Beth says

After I saw the Melinda Byrd video on here a few days ago, I checked out her etsy store for rya rug-making materials and discovered she lives about a half-hour from me. I’ve already visited her studio and I’m now selecting colors and a pattern for my first rug. Sadly, the special wool is no longer being made, so when a color is used up, it’s gone forever. Wool canvases have been replaced with man-made materials. If anyone’s interested, I’ll be glad to share my first effort when it’s completed.

6. Pat says

I heard the same thing that you can clean your vintage mouton fur coats in the snow too! Not sure about other fur coats.