1960 interior design gem — Time capsule house, Laramie, Wyoming — 27 photos

vintage-wall-muralTour-a-Time-CapsuleA vintage wallpaper mural. Swanky pendant lights in the two-story living room. An original Geneva kitchen with vintage Sub-Zero refrigerator. This wonderful 1960 time capsule house for sale in Laramie, Wyoming was custom designed for the original owners — who have been in the house this entire time — and the TLC shows. Thanks to reader Betsy for spotting this gem. 26 more photos!

While the house looks unassuming from the exterior, once you step inside, you are sure to be wowed by the architectural details and interior design. One of the first things that you’ll notice is the fabulous, huge maritime-themed wall mural, above. (Did you know that Thibaut still makes four authentic wallpaper murals like this available today?) Positioned on a prominent wall that overlooks the main living space of the house, this colorful mural is framed by warm wood paneling and decorative railings. Thanks to listing agent Karla Spiegelberg for giving us permission to use her photos here on the blog.

wall-mural-in-split-level-house-retroFrom the listing:

• Price: $379,900
  • Year built: 1960
  • Square footage: 3,210

Description: WELL BUILT home that features 4 bedrooms, 3 1/2 baths, office with custom shelving and fireplace, living room has vaulted ceilings and fireplace, huge windows, sliding doors to spectacular back yard with built-in grill, eat-in kitchen, lower level family room with wet bar, fireplace and indoor grill. Huge laundry room with newer washer and dryer plus an attached double car garage.

THIS HOME WAS CUSTOM BUILT AND HAD ONE OWNER. The main level living room has vaulted ceilings with floor to ceiling windows, fireplace, nice dining area with glass doors leading to patio area that is very private and features a built-in barbecue grill and numerous planters. There is also a office on the main level with built-in custom shelving and a fireplace. The kitchen has a nice eat-in area with 2 large windows, Sub-Zero refrigerator, Jen-Air grill and custom built-ins. There is also a 1/2 bath on the main level along with a large laundry room with doors leading to the side yard. The upper level master suite has it’s own dressing room, double closets and a full bath. There are also 2 more bedrooms and another full bath on this level. The lower level boasts a large family room with wet bar and fridge, fireplace, built-in grill, plus another bedroom and 3/4 bath. The care taken in this home will be evident when you come take a tour.

retro-vintage-living-room1960 interior design features: Glamorous

There are quite a few exciting original details going on in this living room besides the wall mural — the amazing pendant light fixtures, the decorative iron railings, and exposed wood ceiling beams. The floor to ceiling brick fireplace heightens the drama of the room. Look at that huge wall of windows — complete with an amazing custom window treatment that follows the slope of the ceiling. Notice also how the brick of the fireplace continues under the walkway to form a built-in planter area.

retro-kitchen-with-subzero-fridgeThe original details continue into the kitchen, where there is a Sub-Zero refrigerator with wood (laminate?) panel inserts, a copper range hood, soffits wallpapered with original patchwork patterned wallpaper, and pink laminate counter tops. Hey, we have a vintage advertisement for Sub-Zero with a fridge that looks just like this 1960 design. You can still get Sub-Zeros that look just like this — Pam put one in her kitchen, although it is a side-by-side and she put “appliance white” metal panels on it – available from Sub-Zero.

vintage-kitchen-with-laminate-counterPhotos of original time capsule homes like this can be full of unique ideas for people doing a Retro Renovation today. Above, notice the way the laminate counter top “zig zags” down from the counter top to the built-in desk area — a great custom detail to consider for your own kitchen remodel, perhaps?

retro-laundry-roomThe laundry room doubles as a work space — with plenty of counter space for folding laundry or working on a project. I like the peg board lined wall where tools could be arranged, as well as the extra storage space below the cabinets. Notice the cabinet built into the wall — perfect for storing cleaning supplies.

retro-pink-and-aqua-bathThis pink and aqua bathroom may be my favorite part of the house. Pink and aqua is such a great retro color combination. The aqua sink design is a variation we see now and then — it is hudee-rimmed into the laminate countertop, with the front edge protruding. The owner even took the time to make a fabric curtain for the window in the shower — too cute. Indeed: This home appears to have been impeccably maintained.

vintage-bathroom-pink-white-brownHere’s another great original bathroom — in pink, white and brown — with a hidden surprise. When the shower curtain is closed, the bathroom looks pretty tame — but once it is open, it exposes a neopolitan ice cream tile arrangement. In any other color scheme, this might feel like too much — but since pink, white and brown all read as neutrals and only the shower wall is striped and normally behind a curtain — it doesn’t overpower the space.

vintage-dressing-areaGet a load of this built-in dressing room vanity — complete with flip up mirror, storage drawers and a baseboard heat source —  perfect to ensure the lady of the house’s boudoir slippered toes don’t get a chill. Remember Mara’s dressing room? Here’s another example of a boudoir chair design for her.

vintage-built-in-office-shelvesThe wood paneled office has plenty of custom shelving to hold all your books and knick-knacks. Pam wanted me to point out that the light fixture is a “modern wagon wheel light” — in this design, there is no actual wagon wheel, but the shape of the glass light covers and overall fixture shape evoke that old design, just with a modern twist. A good fit for a mid mod home on the suburban range in Laramie, Wyoming, don’t you think!

retro-basement-barLast but certainly not least is this basement rec room and bar. The back wall shelving unit has been painted a bright and cheery deep pink and the mirror behind the bar has been treated like a window in a retro kitchen would be — by adding a decorative trim piece along the top. The bar itself has stone that matches the upstairs fireplace hearth with an added special touch — three glass block like squares with different color lights shining through. Fantastic!!!!

retro-rec-roomOn the opposite side of the rec room, the wall has been painted with a coordinating checker board motif — which mirrors the bar lights — and yet another brick fireplace — complete with a built-in grill.

Mega thanks again to listing agent Karla Spiegelberg for giving us permission to use her photos and listing information.

For more information, or if you are interested in buying this house, contact:

To see all the photos from this listing, check our our slide show:

Tips to view slide show: Click on first image… it will enlarge and you can also read my captions… move forward or back via arrows below the photo… you can start or stop at any image:

Comments

1. Becky from Iowa says

Oh, I’m experiencing BAD FLASHBACKS to last summer, when a Craigslist entry introduced me to a couple who were cheerfully, enthusiastically, and ignorantly DISMANTLING a similar house here in NW Iowa. ;-( It had pink and aqua bathrooms–now smashed, demolished…I have a few of the fixtures–a St. Charles kitchen in PALE PURPLE, with a huge stainless steel stove vent (all gone, now), Mondrian-style pocket doors–ripped out and sold–a 12’x12′ lucite room divider full of pressed ferns, flowers, and butterflies (gone!), a freestanding planter near the front door (he bragged on how much muscle it took to demolish, the fool!), solid birch sliding doors and cabinets and entire wall units–ripped out and tossed in the dumpster–and great, period light fixtures (I begged him to save me a few of those!). TRY as I might, I could not argue any sense into that couple. They destroyed that house with glee and impunity. Nothing’s left but the slanting ceiling, the beams (from which they stripped the special, wormwood paneling), and the large windows. AND the front door with a beautiful side panel of thick, wavy glass. An architectural tragedy. :-( IF ONLY we’d seen the “For Sale” sign before they did.

• tammyCA says

I don’t get why people have to “gleefully demolish” what is no doubt in very good condition (things were built better back then, made to last or at least had skilled repairmen to fix, while today’s stuff is crappily made so you throw away & buy more!).
      I understand personal taste, but there should be some elements of a time capsule house worth preserving or at least respectfully donating.
      All of these time capsules always make me wonder. The people that built this home in 1960 obviously put a lot of effort into it and were progressive, so what made them stick with the same decor for 53 years? Did they never get tired of it? Did they blow all their money on it at the time? Or did they think of the future and know “what is old is new again?”
      I wonder what the next generation is going to say in 10-20 yrs.. “ugh, this granite & cherry wood cabinetry is sooo dated…gotta get rid of it.” Just as the now generation looks down their nose at formica counters & pink ovens (obviously not speaking of all young homebuyers, but mostly that is what I see on “house hunters” t.v.).

I have thought about this a lot. I think a real key is: They didn’t move.

When people move into a house that is “new” to them, they change things to their taste. Then, they tend to live with them a long long time – because they like it, because it’s expensive, and because it’s a hassle.

So, first, it’s America’s mobility that causes the demolitions. After that, it’s mostly “want”, not “need.” Although in the “new real” that attitude has changed a lot, because you can no longer use your home equity (if you have any) like an ATM machine to finance expensive renovations.

• Jay says

Don’t know if it’s accurate but I recall reading somewhere that on average, Americans move every seven years. What’s up with that?
          Geesh! Who can be bothered. I guess people are always looking for something bigger and newer.

What’s interesting is that all of the time capsule homes always have a feature that seems unique to that house.

I’m a sucker for indoor built-in stone and brick planters.

I don’t think people can depend on jobs keeping them in one place for very long anymore. I don’t think it’s necessarily by choice.

• says

I think Time Capsules come about not only because of people who don’t move, but also just the general personality of the owners. Both of my grandparents bought new build homes in the early sixties. One grandmother redecorated every six or seven years, ripped out her original kitchen and bathrooms in the late eighties…

The other grandmother spent five or six years “getting it right” and then basically left it alone. She re-did my dad’s bedroom as a guest room after he moved out, and replaced her den furniture a couple of times as it wore out, but other than her house looked the same when she sold it in 2002 as it did when she moved in in 1962. It was a beautiful example of mid-century colonial style, and I wish I had better pictures!

• Wendy M. says

We bought from original owners who custom built the house. Their son lives in the house behind us, so I’ve been able to have lengthy conversations about the house. He said that his mom chose everything in the house; in her opinion, she got it exactly right- so why in the world would she change anything?! She taught home design at the university, so I’m sure she knew about all the trends as they changed, but what she had done in this home really resonated with her.

• Robin, NV says

I wonder if in 40-50 years the granite counters and cherry cabinets will be cool and retro? For me, the mid century modest look is appealing because it’s what my grandparents had in their homes. It feels homey. But maybe my nieces and nephews will have the same feeling of nostalgia for my mom’s granite and cherry kitchen? I’m having a hard time picturing that. Her kitchen seems so dreary and unapproachable to me. It’s not the sort of place you can imagine making a mess and having fun.

I think that, yes, we have warm fuzzies for grandma’s kitchen. Assuming it was a happy place…. My question is, though: Will the cabinets hold up for 50 years?

• tammyCA says

Sometimes, I think by the time we get around to changing the ’80s light oak cabinets in my kitchen they will be back in style again! Ha, probably not these.
            But, yeah people don’t stay in one place like they used to. I remember all our relatives living in the same houses, never moving to “bigger/better” until they died or retired. And, same with jobs…now, it is apparently a bad thing to stay at one job or company. I like roots.

• Eric says

You answered your own question: People gleefully demolish because
        TV instructs them to do so. There will never be any television programs promoting authentic preservation because such a program would attract fewer advertisers. Demolishing and replacing keeps the economy sort
        of sluggishly moving; conservation would bring it to a grinding halt. Pam is correct in that American mobility is part of the problem, but television programming/advertising is what drives and influences “taste” and “wants”. Many magazines, too.

• Zoe says

Oh, sad. I know the feeling of watching older homes being sold, wistfully hoping that nothing “bad” happens to them…

When (if) we sell our current, almost-one-owner 1945 ranch house (bought by my parents in 1952, acquired by me in 2009), I am seriously considering requiring the buyers to sign a contract stating that they will not gut or knock down the house for at least 10 years. I don’t think I could stand the thought of someone “gleefully demolishing” the house that my parents so lovingly built, added onto, and maintained.

• Gail says

Do you have children or any other family members who would be happy to have it? Try to keep it in the family if you can. I watch those renovation shows all the time and I know EXACTLY how you feel! :(

2. RetroGal says

This Time Capsule Homes always make my day! Especially love the basement bar and the built-in vanity! And everything is in such great shape! You can tell that it was loved… and cleaned… a lot! :)

• Betsy says

The 3 little shapes at the bottom of the bar mirror are actually little ceramic fairies sitting on little leaves. And yes, they are blue, red and green – just like the bar lights. Oh the many wonders that are in this house…b

3. Robin, NV says

Oh my gosh, a Neopolitan bathroom? Totally awesome. Also love the rec room and bar – those colored glass blocks are too much! The laundry/workroom is something some of us have been pining for on previous posts. Slanted ceilings, awesome fireplaces, fab bathrooms – I could totally see myself living in this house.

I have a terrible feeling someone will buy it and gut it though. This sort of workaday MCM just doesn’t seem to inspire the same sort of reverence as high end MCM. But I hope I’m wrong.

I’m wondering if that cabinet door in the laundry room might be for a laundry chute. I know some houses of this period still had them. I certainly wish we had one in our current MCM house! We did live in one older house that had a laundry chute. Our cat loved to sleep in the basket at the bottom of the chute, and we often found him struggling out from under sheets and clothes we’d just tossed down.

• Betsy says

Yes, the cabinet on the right is the laundry chute. It connects to a little hatch in the closet in the master bedroom dressing area. It is delightful and charming…b

5. Lynne says

I love seeing these time capsules. I live in a 1952 ranch that was my grandmother’s, that (thankfully) wasn’t remodeled. Its original Youngstown Diana kitchen (with inoperable Mullins Electric Sink) is intact. I wanted to make a random suggestion about donating. My vintage stove was rusting out inside and I didn’t have the thousands needed to refurbish it, so it was donated to a farm/kitchen museum here in CT where others can enjoy it. It sits alongside stoves from the 20s, 30s, and 40s.

• tammyCA says

That’s an awesome idea to donate to a museum. I came across online some Mid century museum or exhibit not long ago in New Jersey. I also bet prop shops for movies/t.v. could use these things since they really don’t need for them to work.

6. Rachel says

yes, i so hope that the new owners will appreciate this house in all of it’s glory!! i understand doing a big renovation if the place is trashed and it’s necessary, but otherwise it boggles my mind why someone would buy a place if they so hate what it looks like that they can’t wait to gut it. when a home has been so well maintained i love to see it go to a new owner who appreciate it the way it is. breaks my heart to see people rip up history with glee. :(

7. Scott says

Okay, when even the laundry room is fun you know you have a real gem. I love these time capsule houses, but in a way they really stress me out wondering what will happen to them. Sad to say, but from what I see locally the odds that it will fall into the right hands are not the best. It especially pains me when a house is re-destroy-modeled just to flip it when all it probably needed was the rugs shampooed and a good cleaning.

The lighted glass blocks are killer. I am so going to have to figure out a way to do that somewhere in my house!

8. Kersten says

Oh! Speechless. Wow. Love. Love. Love. The pencil sharpener in the laundry room is super sweet! I would use it daily!

• tammyCA says

The pencil sharpener made me smile, too. I put a vintage one up in my service porch/pantry area…had one in our kitchen growing up so it is nostalgic.
      And, the laundry room door is exactly like my front door now. :)

9. nina462 says

ooooh! wait, go back to that laundry room. Is that DUTCH door, that I see? Oh yes, it is! Look at the lock position. OOOOH- what a treat :)

• Zoe says

Fellow Dutch-door coveter here! I noticed that detail too. Love, love, love Dutch doors, especially the cross-buck version. Would love to find and refurbish an old one some day; I’ve priced them out and even in paint-grade poplar, they cost close to $2000 new.

• Gail says

I have one in my house that we bought last summer! The house was built in 1965 and we’re only the second owners. The door is the entrance to the indoor porch that was added by the previous owner. It’s stained oak and I LOVE it! And if you like mirrors, one entire wall in my dining room is mirror floor to ceiling, corner to corner :) I knew this house was ours the minute we walked in that porch!

10. Marilyn says

I am a real estate professional and have been astounded the last 18 months or so with the “flipping” market in Denver Metro. All of these “recently remodeled” houses have all the character removed. All look like they had the same designer. Walls removed for the loft look (no longer cozy, drafty, and hard to heat – look like an office complex lobby), stainless appliances (will dent like crazy and show water spots) odd small tile backsplashes (so just try to clean out the spaghetti sauce off of that), pre-packaged wood flooring (the puppy piddles and it runs between the boards), granite counters (tip over a glass or drop a plate and it breaks), rough tile around the tub (how do you clean the soap scum off the rough tile), tile or marble bath floors (slip and fall) sharp edges on the tile around the new tub (slip and fall and serious hurt anyone – and imagine leaning with your tummy on that while bathing the little ones, or cleaning the tub) stainless range hoods that will be horrible grease catchers. Bathroom and kitchen cabintes that are on legs and open underneath (yech! food crud, animal hair, people hair, dirt) On and on. Sometimes it is lipstick on a pig, but often a really cool retro looking house has been destroyed. Sad thing is they are selling like hot cakes.

My antiquated opinion is they are finished for looks and not to live in!! Glory to the true retro house!! If I had the resources I would remodel to live in with total practicality. (At one point with 4 kids and 3 dogs, practical was molded furniture, a floor drain and a power washer!) Now, I would like to see more user friendly. Long term and classic!

• tammyCA says

I’d like to know who started that look…granite and such.
      I’ve seen so many very modest homes that look like “harlots” after being flipped like that. It’s ridiculous and it doesn’t fit the house at all.

I just adore time capsule homes and drool all over the pictures! This one is wonderful, too! Those built-ins in the office – CRAFT ROOM!!! And all of the pink and aqua or pink and white…just lovely. Can’t you just imagine the fun holidays and parties down in the rec room??!! Such a cute bar!! I never tire of seeing these wonderful capsules and always hope that the home goes to a good family. And continues to be well-loved and maintained just as is for many more years to come.

12. Janet in CT says

This house is like seeing all my dreams come true under one roof! I see so many things about it that are just absolutely wonderful! And I so agree with Marilyn’s dead-on assessment of all these new house “improvements”. I love everything about an older house and I have to also agree that memories of gramma’s house do have something to do with it. The pencil sharpener is something that struck me funny too. Having looked at dozens of houses in the last few years, what endears me is seeing a pencil sharpener installed in the basement stairwell, just like in my gramma’s house and the house I grew up in. They probably don’t even sharpen a pencil any more but seeing one sure brings me back! I think this house is not only remarkable in itself, but also in that the owners kept it so original and so impeccably maintained. Bravo!

13. Janet in CT says

I have to mention that the mural is fantastic, but struck me funny! The house is in landlocked Wyoming but certainly looks like a scene in Maine or Cape Cod! Wishful thinking, perhaps?

• charlene says

My Dad painted murals all over our house when I saw a kid, I always wanted to paint on the wall like that – there was an orange “Duchamp” Descending Staircase in the entryway when you opened the orange front door. I reproduce my versions of all these things in my house now.

• Betsy says

It is oddly out of place, but perhaps they were also weary of all the western art that is so common. :)

This home was built by a local builder, and it speaks to the elegance and formality of the time. The materials used are of the highest quality, and I can’t help but think that the mural (as well as everything you see here) was designed to stand out as unique and extraordinary.

14. charlene says

I visited the house I grew up in in SC last summer and went inside, the newest owner basically destroyed it, it was a real feeling of “you can’t go home again” when I left – upsets me to think about it – going this week to pick up some Edward Wormly Precedent furniture from my Mom that’s sitting in her attic, was only made in 1947 – what I do now and have done for years is replace the furniture etc. from ebay and other sources so my new home feels like “home” – btw I love that coral color

15. Mary says

Oh my goodness, what a treasure. The bar is just….so amazing. I’d be down there every night at 5 sharp for in-house happy hour! And I’d be soaking regularly in the aqua tub, that bathroom is gorgeous.

I have to add my 2cents to this conversation. We have just recently renovated a beautiful 1971 “modern home” that was absolutely untouched. We had 4 dumpsters of tear outs. We love mid century and all our furniture is vintage danish modern. That being said…

We knew going in we’d have to rip out way more than anyone wanted us to. It was a one owner place and the woman was 90 when she passed. The home was badly neglected, far more than we knew. It sat empty for over a year. The carpet was filthy and original. All the extra built ins in the basement (except the bar that we saved) were completely rotted out. Pipes had leaked in bathrooms and the sinks were so damaged they were beyond salvaging. The kitchen had been overrun with mice and rats while she was living there so the cabinets were chewed up and completely gross. We tore it out to the studs and vaulted the ceiling to match the living/dining space. We had to get all the rat and mice pooped up insulation out of the drywall. All the rodents were gone by the time we purchased it, nothing much left for them to eat, but the smell was ungodly. We still had a family of raccoons in one corner of the attic over a bedroom closet. That also was gutted walls, floors, everything to eliminate them and get rid of the pee smell. We kept the full wall sandstone fireplace and lovely curved open staircase. The cabinets we installed were danish modern replicas not the faux Hollywood Regency that were original. The new actually fits the design of the house better. We kept all the original doors and found woodwork that replicated what had to go. We put in hardwoods and tile rather than the carpet that was everywhere (yes, kitchen and bathrooms too). We have dust allergies and carpet is a nightmare for us. We did put in granite as opposed to formica for resale value as we will most likely be transferred again in 7 years or so. The basement walls are still a mess from moisture damage but we only have so much reno money. We had to replace the front doors much to our dismay. But we found nearly exact replicas that were more energy efficient. We even tried to reuse the door knob but it was too damaged from a break in. The door was chained together when we took possession. We kept all that we could but believe me I took a lot of crap from the neighbors until I drug them inside and showed them all the damage.
    I realize the house above seems in perfect shape, ours wasn’t. Our house was a time capsule too but one that had been lovingly neglected. It may have looked as though we were gleefully tearing it up but every dumpster load hurt both pocket and heart. The woman’s daughter came to the door and ripped me to shreds until I gave her a tour. She had no idea her mother had been living in such neglected filth. When we finished she came again and said her mother would have loved everything we’d done.
    Please don’t judge severe renovations too harshly unless you’ve got the ENTIRE story.

Agreed. I think that we we react to mostly here is: Gleeful sledgehammering and people who call someone else’s style *hideous* (a verboten word here.) Someone designed, built and lived in these old houses — with great love. Personally, my goal is to respect that, even if stuff needs to be changed out, or even if I just *want* to change it out. Respect. Gratitude. Civility. These are our watchwords here. On this site, I simply request that comments be civil and respectful. If they are not, I edit or delete them. Period.

Big discussion last year, here: http://retrorenovation.com/2012/07/02/retro-renovators-creed-gut-remodel-without-guilt/

• tammyCA says

I will have to say you were brave to take on the reno of the house from your description…yikes, it sounds like “Grey Gardens” racoons and all! (a disturbing but most excellent documentary…I could discuss the psychology on this one for days…also google & see the dramatic before/after of that historic house…a respectful renovation, too.)
      Of course, sometimes we don’t see the before pictures/story of renovated homes, but sometimes we do, like on those home shows and certain blogs. And a lot of the times the before is perfectly fine, working & cool, but people wanted the latest trend and so it all goes in the dump. I do keep in mind that some things are beyond fixing and getting new is safer & preferred…and, we all have different taste.

I would love to see on the home shows more of the seriously dilapidated houses restored to glory again…like “Rehab Addict”. She’s one tiny little female who buys the most disgusting crack houses and does a lot of the work herself, salvaging every little thing and bringing the historic house back to life.

• Ashly says

I am so glad you made this comment! My husband and I bought our first home, a 54 ranch, from the original owner. At first glance, the home seemed to be in immaculate condition and had all of the original features and fixtures (except for a kitchen remodel in the 70s). After living with the home for two years, we have to acknowledge that some things will HAVE to go – damaged half-wall paneling, our pink bath (previous leak, non functional vanity, miss-matching tile, unlit shower closet), the kitchen (which we have started, however, we are bringing the kitchen *back* to the 50s). While it would be nice to pretend that every time capsule is worth saving, it’s just not always the case. You can bet when the time comes to demo our pink bath, I will be gleefully, apologetically, swinging the sledgehammer.

• says

Thank you for the comment. I live in a time capsule home. We have made good changes and bad changes. The bad changes I plan on fixing. :) Sometimes people don’t know what they have. On the good change side, we tore out 2 original 1950’s bathrooms. They were super tiny and didn’t have enough retro cuteness to save them. In order to get the most out of the space we had to reconfigure. We remodeled bathrooms are very much in keeping with design trends from mid-century and I have been very happy with those choices.

17. Janice says

I love this house! I love the passageway that overlooks the living room that leads to the bedrooms and I really love the laundry room and kitchen. I have a laundry room that is shaped exactly like this but not nearly that pretty. This is giving me ideas, tho, for a future redo when I get to the bottom of my list – if that ever happens.

This homeowner clearly loved pink and because of that – I love her! Fabulous find in Wyoming!

18. Hope says

Amazing! This brought a tear to my eye! Thank you for taking notice of this home that has brought me so much joy and so many memories throughout my life! It is so wonderful to know that my Great Grandparents built and designed a home that they were proud to live in for so many years and that other people do enjoy all the PINK!! My Great Grandmother’s style is definattly highlighted in this house along with my Great Grandfather’s craftmanship and construction know-how! He built this house along with our family owned construction company (In business from 1918 – present) to their personal specifications. They were truly entertainers! Thank you also to Karla for taking such amazing pictures!!! They really do this house justice!! The next owners will be lucky to call this house “home”!

Oh my, it’s so wonderful to hear from you, Hope! It’s such an honor to archive these photos year. What a spectacular house!

• says

I think your Grandparents had amazing taste. I think the woman who built our home did too for the times. Too bad it wasn’t maintained as beautifully as they did!

19. Toni P says

I can’t help but wonder why so many people buy a house and then take it all apart and try to make it something it isn’t. Why not just buy the right house in the first place?

None of my moves was planned in the sense that I wanted bigger or better. Divorce, a fire, a delapidated trailer, a nice little starter house (built 1936) my children and I called home for over 30 years and now a farm house and enough land to have all my pets right here with me. I have finally arrived. And this 1880 house is the era I am most comfortable in. I do lust after the 1940/50 kitchen but I love my remodeled old kitchen, too. All the walls are still in place. No granite in my house. No stainless. No fake hardwood. I do have a rather large amount of inlaid from 1985 that is showing some wear. I wish I could buy a new piece to replace it.

20. Andrea says

I live just a few blocks from this house and pass it often on my morning walks. I had no idea from the outside what a gem it is. It’s a little too intensely retro for me to actually live in, although the basement bar is awesome. I certainly hope someone who appreciates the mid-century vibe buys it and loves it just as it is.