Time capsule house with spectular 1970s Mediterranean decor — 43 photos

mid-century-1960s-ranch-house-exteriorTour-a-Time-CapsuleTime Capsule tips keep pouring in from readers — and we keep chasing ’em. The latest property — listed for sale in North Richland Hills, TX by Re/Max Trinity agent Malyn Powers — was a tip from reader Leni. Even though the house is in need of some maintenance work — it is still an excellent specimen of mid century and postmodern design details. When I contacted Malyn, she said the response generated by this property has been amazing. Thanks to the excellent photos — taken by photographer Evan Godwin from Chateau Shooters — that we’ve gotten permission to share with you, it is possible for all of us to get a tour of this charming mid century ranch house.

From the listing:

• Price: $95,000
  • Year Built: 1953
  • Square Footage: 2,379
  • Bedrooms: 3
  • Bathrooms: 2

Description: If Retro Chic is your style, this is a must see! House is funky, so come with your imagination. The property needs work, so it may not be for the faint at heart. Original, one owner home is now part of an estate. Sold as is. Beneficiary is ready for sale, so bring offers!

1960s-kitchen-wallpaperLooks like the original 1953 kitchen got a remodel in the late 1960s or early 1970s.  If you are a fan of pattern — it’s amazing. There is pattern everywhere — the walls, the floor, the tile counter tops and back splash — and yet all of these designs have been skillfully selected to work together. If you look closely, you can even see the iron work on the right of the photo above — shaped to also complement the patterns on the tile counter tops and flooring.

1960s-tile-countertops-in-kitchenI especially love the curved shelf — it must have been tricky to lay the tile counter tops and have it turn out nicely. It looks like there is an opening above the built in wall oven — maybe room for a microwave? And note: The wood tone shade of this cabinetry — it fits our definition of “timeless.”

beaded curtainsBeaded curtains! Likely on some sort of traverse rod! And, next to knotty pine! What a wondrous place!

mid-century-living-room-with-fireplaceThe living room is a nice size and appears to get plenty of natural light. The asymmetrical irregular brick fireplace adds grandeur to the room without overpowering it and the stone floor inset makes the room extra special. We wonder: Is a complete stone floor under the carpet?

built-in-cabinets-mid-centuryAnother, much larger fireplace is present in the den — along with a groovy wet bar, yet another tile backsplash and fantastic high relief cabinetry and doors — which I’m guessing must have been specially made for this space. What a spectacular space — Mediterranean design done right!

mid-century-bathroom-largeHoley bathrooms — look at that metallic wallpaper. And, the skinny window with tiny custom pinch pleat curtains is terrific. And look — there must have been some fancy folks living here — they even have a bidet.

mid-century-ceramic-tile-bathroomIt looks like there is another toilet at the end of the last room — kind of an good idea for a master bathroom — two people can really be using each space at the same time.

mid-century-house-back-yard-decorative-fenceThere are geometric details everywhere in this house — my favorite of them all has to be this privacy fence in the back yard.

mid-century-fenceIt looks like whoever made this put up evenly spaced wooden sections and then cut out two different rectangles — repeating them on either side of the fence for a finished look on both sides. This fantastic fence has my wheels spinning — maybe I can construct something like this for my yard.

Again, a huge thanks goes out to the listing agent Malyn Powers for letting us feature this property. Mega thanks to Evan Godwin from Chateau Shooters photography for supplying us with extra large photos for this post and the slideshow below.

Interested in this property?

Keep those tips coming, readers! We love you!

Tips to view slide show: Click on first image… it will enlarge and you can also read the captions… move forward or back via arrows below the photo… you can start or stop at any image:

Comments

1. blair kooistra says

Wow. Actually, not a bad neighborhood, and only around 6 miles from our place. Whoda thunk! How’d this one get by my Redfin/Zillow/Trulia filter? Somehow, it would take some convincing for my loving wife to accept that if we bought this place, we’d have to go Tiki with it. . .she absolutely HATES the Tiki thing.

Meanwhile, we looked at this place Sunday: pretty Tasty and modern in a 1968-built home in nearby Arlington. More our style, and a MCM home with good public schools, a rarity in TX:

2. Erica says

This is right by me! It’s a neighborhood in transition with so many great homes. Not many people know the great deals on houses in the area, so thank you for featuring my ‘hood!

3. blair kooistra says

The more I look at it, the more I realize how much work this place needs. [edited] But as pointed out, with some cleanup, replacing carpets with new floors, some landscaping, you’d have yourself a pretty nice Shag-A-Delic place.

4. Tut says

That den is really cool, and the privacy fence is Bitchen with a capital B. The covered patio/porch/carport thingy is really interesting. What a place to entertain – the party can keep swinging even when it rains, although that tile around the grill is as ugly as a baby pelican.

5. Melissa says

I *WANT* that privacy fence! Now, just to find some creative fence designer to make it happen.

If anyone here ends up snagging a pattern, let me know! ;o)

Very cool house but the pink carpet in the bathroom is the one thing I don’t like. I’ve always thought that it was majorly unsanitary.
    Maude

Love that den! The cabinets are so awesome. I wish we could see the blue tile around them better. It doesn’t look like it’s quite the same as in the kitchen.

Oh, I pray someone loves this house and just fixes a couple of the imperfections. I live not far from this area and there aren’t many of us that see the beauty in the time capsule. They are constantly getting gutted around me.
    Diane
    Honey Stop The Car Vintage

9. Heather, CA says

Wow. Can anyone tell me what and how the counter level fireplace in the den is used? We found one of those walled in in our kitchen and are wondering if we could actually use it?

• Heather, CA says

Of course, we are using a contractor. But how were those used? As a fireplace or for cooking? That is my question. I don’t need a fireplace in my kitchen but could find uses for a grill. Maybe.

• LauraRG says

We had a standing height fieldstone fireplace in the family room of the house I grew up in. The family room was off the kitchen and I believe it was intended for cooking. My parents used it a few times, but the fireplace was small and with five kids it wasn’t really very practical when it came to feeding a crowd. Good luck wiht it… I think for a couple or just a few people it would be so much fun to grill meat indoors – kind of like fondue, very social!

10. Moe Moe says

It’s more than just a few imperfections. It’s gonna take a lot of $$ to get this house where it needs to be, The delapitated outdoor spaces, the leaking roof, etc. The den/wet bar room floor is trashed. So sad. I hope someone doesn’t just come in and destroy those awesome doors and cabinetry, so unique it kills me! I wish there was a way to follow up on this home…

11. joan says

Hi Pam;
    Another great home that no doubt had a family that knew how to entertain in their home. It always amazes me how well people took care of their homes and did not just get rid of something when a new fad came around. I like the bamboo wall paper, all the stone flooring and the lovely workmanship on the cabinets. Sure hope someone buys it that can appreciate that time. I don’t think it looks like it would be all that much work to bring back. Replace worn carpets, fix the leak in roof, a bit of yard work and I would move right in. Thanks for sharing the pictures. 🙂

Love the kitchen! I had that exact flooring, combined with bamboos/ lime and orange wallpaper. This siten so helps me understand my 1957 ranch. Also have identical Hollywood regency bathroom cabinets.

Thanks for showing this beautiful house, truly makes me love mine more;)

Elizabeth , Pittsburgh Pa

I’m a Realtor in Lethbridge AB and I own a home just like this, that required just about as much work. It’s tough finding similar properties like this, and it’s tough figuring out how to modernize them while being respectful and paying homage to them. Thanks for the post.

14. Amy says

I absolutely LUV that cabinwtry in the den! We’re doing the high-relief faux-Mediterranean ’70’s look in our master bedroom. You can find so many BIG complete suites of furniture from the ’70’s at thrifts. We got a huge set with scratches and marring but we’re painting it all a nice bronze gold and renewing the flat black hardware finishes. Big, showy hardware! I’m going to bring in some damask fabric and we have a black wrought iron bench that will have the seat cushion recovered in a similar period print. We dig it! We got the whole huge set for only $215.00!