Make a tabletop hairpin leg planter from a big plastic Easter egg

letsgetRetroCraftyWhen I see Easter decorations popping up in the stores, I know that spring was nearly here. This year, I had a great idea about how to use some of those brightly colored Easter eggs for a new Retro Crafty project. The result — a DIY tabletop bullet planter made out of the larger half of a large plastic Easter egg, a wooden embroidery hoop and some wire hangers. It was fun, easy and quick to make — and once the snow melts it will be a great place to make a mini mid century garden.

hairpin-leg-bullet-planter-DIY

Materials needed for this project are:

• creatology-egg-sentials-nesting-easter-eggs-Michaelsa plastic Easter egg (I found this large one — part of a set of three nesting eggs at Michaels. With a 40% coupon, the set of three was about $12.)
  • two wire hangers
  • a wooden embroidery hoop (the one I used was an 8 inch hoop and cost about $1.50)
  • wood glue
  • pencil
  • drill and drill bit that is the same thickness as your hangers
  • wire cutters
  • spray paint (I didn’t paint mine yet, but in the spring I plan to spray the base all black and the egg a different color using spray paint that is specified for plastic)

This project was quick and easy. Minus glue and paint drying time, the whole project can be completed in about 10 minutes. If you would like to make this project, but can’t find the Easter egg set at Michaels, you could use any size egg that you can locate, as long as you can find a corresponding wooden ring to use for the stand. Smaller planters could be used as a decorative catch-all for smaller objects — such as a push pin holder to place near a cork board, a toothpick holder or even a container to put rings or earrings in when they are taken off for the day. I recommend that you keep this planter indoors or use it outside only in covered areas to keep it safe from the weather and looking its best. No matter how you use your small hairpin leg egg planter, I hope you have fun being Retro Crafty.

This isn’t my first Retro Crafty planter project — take a look at this mid century inspired planter stand I made in 8 easy steps.

And, see all of our Retro Crafty projects here.

Comments

1. joan says

Hi Kate;
    Cute planter – you and Pam are just so crafty. Are you going to make all three sizes?
    Joan
    ps the video would not play for me – it says private

• Kate says

Thanks!

I just might — but I have to find the right size wooden hoops to use as stands — and maybe I’ll take that trip to the dry cleaner that I’ve been putting off so I can get more wire hangers! ๐Ÿ™‚

• Sarah g (roundhouse) says

I love this idea, I may have to try this out!! Plus being that I work in the family dry cleaning business I always love projects that require a trip to the cleaners for wire hangers! Lol

2. Jay says

This has to be the ultimate retro crafty project.
    Don’t forget to put a pot of daffodils or tulips inside the planterfor Easter.

3. Janet in CT says

Very cute project, Kate! If you have alot of little ones or grandchildren, you could fill it full of Easter candy, or even use it at Halloween for candy – it is so Kiddy Cute! That giant jumbo sized egg just speaks lotsa candy to me!

4. Robin, NV says

Hmm, I wonder if I could make a small one to hold paper clips on my desk. Wouldn’t that be cute? Come to think of it you could probably make an egg sized one using large paper clips. Just gotta figure out what to use for the ring . . . Maybe the ring from a milk jug?

That is so cute! You are super clever and crafty ๐Ÿ˜‰ Every time I see wire hangers, though, I can’t help but think “NO WIRE HANGERS” in my head, ha ha.

6. Donna says

Wow Kate! You have such a creative mind!

Love the planter. Hope to see you again this year when you visit Tennessee.

Donna ( mom and dads neighbor).

7. Joyce W says

Very cool! And I just bought a set of those eggs to decorate for Easter with! And the best part – something I can use those horrible wire hangers for (DH gets his uniforms on them but I hate them LOL! ) I’m just too excited to try this – and I have the perfect spot for it too since we have just started redoing our dining room,. Thanks for another great project!

I love this! Of course, I loved the first one, too, but haven’t yet been able to find a pot that is just the right shape. But this one – surely I can find a big plastic egg! Thanks for another one, Kate!

9. Melanie says

This is so cool, and kind of a “duh why didn’t I think of that” sort of thing. I will definitley be making one of these soon. Love the idea of little ones too.

This is so clever Kate ! I love it when creatives see
    common items in a different light ! Thank you for sharing another inspriational idea. ๐Ÿ™‚

Thanks to TammyCA and Pam for mentioning my work and for the links !

Maryann Roy