• New sofas from Younger Furniture and their Avenue 62 Line

Showroom-younger-furniture-avenue-62-with-yellow-couchWe are big fans of the look of Younger Furniture’s Avenue 62 line of mid century style sofas, sectionals and chairs. According to Meredith Younger Spell, the Avenue 62 line has been doing well, now, the company has introduced the second generation of the line. The new generation of the line still has a mid century feel — but Meredith explained that they are going a bit more modern. Even with their somewhat more contemporary feel — these pieces could feel at home in a mid century living room.

Younger Furniture Avenue 62 CouchAbove: The Nico sofa in a soft buttery yellow… with clean lines, soft curves and tapered legs that feel very mid century.

Younger Furniture Avenue 62 Chair

Above: The Simon chair has a Hans Wegner “Papa Bear” chair vibe, for sure.

Younger Furniture Avenue 62 CouchThe Nelson sofa, above, has unusually placed arms. “Hmmmm,” says Pam, “looks kinda tippy to me. I’m not sure about this one.”

Younger Furniture Avenue 62 Couch

Above: Another look at the Nelson and it’s green color. That’s emerald green – Pantone’s current color of the year. This is a lovely color — a very versatile green that would work well in a room with warm wood paneling — or even knotty pine.

Younger Furniture Avenue 62 Couch

Above: Nelson sofa in cream. The upholstery seems very classic, a great neutral.Younger Furniture Avenue 62 CouchAbove: Nelson sofa in grey with metal legs — giving it a more modern look — although even “tippier” looking in this version. Hmmmm.

Younger Furniture Avenue 62 Couch

Younger Furniture Avenue 62 ChairAbove: Betsy chair in grey.

Younger Furniture Avenue 62 CouchYounger Furniture Avenue 62 CouchAbove: Taylor sofa sectional in blue — I love the style of this one — and the rich blue color.

Younger Furniture Avenue 62 Couch Younger Furniture Avenue 62 CouchYounger Furniture Avenue 62 Couch Younger Furniture Avenue 62 Couch

Above: The Velvet sectional. I’m not sure this is actually  made of velvet — but it is a very nice modern sofa sectional that could be upholstered to suit in a mod 1960s or 1970s living room.

Mega thanks to Meredith Younger Spell for keeping us in the loop and sharing photos of the great new designs in the second generation of Avenue 62 and shots of their showroom at the Highpoint Furniture Market.

See the complete line of Younger Furniture here.

• Get our retrolicious free newsletter.

Comments

1. I love that green one and the blue sectional. If we hadn’t been forced to go vinyl at our house by kitties, I would have been all over one of those.

2. kindacrunchy says:

Nice furniture but no prices on the website?Argh,frustrating!

• pam kueber says:

Hi Kindacrunchy, Younger Furniture is the manufacturer (not the retailer) — so you need to locate a dealer to get the price. In previous stories, we were told (as I recall) that sofas were generally in the $1,500 range — although it’s important to know that retailers are the ones who set the prices, by law (as I recall).

• Sandra says:

Yes, only politicians, in their wisdom, are allowed to fix prices for things (because they’re so wise about money).

It is illegal for manufacturers to “fix” prices — that is to require a set price from their retailers, which is why, sometimes, you’ll see “Manufacturer’s Suggested Price” on things.

Of course, consumers are the ones who have the most clout on price, unless, once again, the politicians get involved. It’s all about what the market will bear.

• gsciencechick says:

Not really. Unilateral Minimum Retail Pricing (UMRP) has been upheld by the U.S. Supreme Court.

3. I wonder if the “tippy” look on the Nelson sofa is supposed to be a “floating” look. I have a Danish credenza where the legs are set in like that. From certain angles, it does appear to be floating.

I don’t have a Younger retailer anywhere near me, wish I did.

4. I like the Nelson in green but I agree about what Pam says, that it’s tippy looking. Something doesn’t look quite right about the arms being stuck out on the sides, maybe too thick.

5. That Taylor sectional is to die for. Nice size for a sectional, too — most are gargantuan, but that looks like it could be reasonable in a more modest-sized living room. Yum!

• gsciencechick says:

Yes, the size is very nice. We almost bought one of their sofas before we found vintage at an estate sale. Really great pieces, and I wish the sectional could work in our space, but it seemed we were always blocking a vent regardless of configuration.

6. The Nelson with the exposed wood frame is beautiful, and has that vintage vibe for sure!

7. Loralei says:

I have a Younger sofa that I ordered through Nebraska Furniture Mart. They didn’t have any on the floor of that giant giant furniture store so I ordered sight unseen from their “Designer” department. And I love my sofa – and it wasn’t all that expensive. I bought the Jasper sofa and chair in a tweedy green – they didn’t have all those cool styles several years ago! But I’m really happy with it – it’s wearing well. If only I didn’t sit in the exact same place on it every single day…I think I’m going to have to have the cushions re-stuffed! Unless I decide that that’s a good reason to buy all NEW Younger furniture.

I have this thing against buying upholstered vintage furniture – I am terrified of bedbugs! So I am so glad that manufacturers are making these “copycats”.

8. Kathryn says:

Is that Taylor sectional so new that it doesn’t show up yet? Can’t find it on the website, and I think it’s really cool!

9. I am confused. Is “Younger” only available to the trades? I live
      45 min.-1hr. from both DC and Baltimore. When I try their store locator I get stuck in a loop of modern furniture stores and interior designer listings!
      Can’t go to Highpoint, not in the trade, just so frustrating trying to find MCM without traversing the globe. I am just not comfortable spending $$$ for something on-line!

• pam kueber says:

They sell to retailers who sell in stores. Contact them, I am sure they will let you know where you can find these in your area.

10. For a sense of the pricing, I looked at smartfurniture.com, which sells many of the Younger pieces online. I used Younger’s website to find a retailer in my city.

@LauraK – Looks like there is a dozen retailers in the Baltimore-DC area.