• Vintage Lane Acclaim catalog — showcasing 48 pieces in this classic furniture design favorite

lane-acclaim-coffee-tables

Furniture-that-makes-your-room-LaneThe vintage Lane Acclaim line of furniture seems to have been very popular in mid century America. We speculate that — much like the popular Drexel Declaration line – the design of Lane Acclaim appealed to Mrs. America because it was a good compromise between traditional and modern. It was a little bit Early American, a little bit mid mod.

Remember: The mass of Mrs. Americas were not nuts about mid century modern. But maybe she could tiptoe in. Interestingly — also like Drexel Declaration, there’s a Shaker feel to the Lane Acclaim design — you can see how the wood is connected. Reader Dave is a big fan of the line. He recently acquired what seems to be a very hard-to-find catalog of available pieces from the Lane Acclaim Line — and graciously shares it with all of us today.

Dave writes:

After much hunting, I finally tracked down a complete Lane Acclaim catalog on Ebay and have scanned it. This is a small booklet, 3″ x 4″, that was hung on showroom pieces with a string. As someone who owns six lane pieces (all tables) I was surprised to learn how extensive the line actually was! Especially since you mostly see only the tables trading, with possibly an occasional hutch or desk. I think it would be of value for MCM fans to have access to this great historical record of a classic furniture line. It’s a valuable reference for buyers and sellers.

lane-acclaim-side-tablesThis story is particularly fun for me, because I have a Lane Acclaim table — it is the cocktail table 900-01 (shown in the lead photo.) My mother in law gave it to me. It was her parent’s coffee table.

But, I’ve never seen most of the furniture that is in this catalog. Look at those nesting tables above — it looks to me like the top one has the dovetailed edge and the inner one doesn’t. Very interesting.

lane-acclaim-snack-table-and-cartAnd what is that I see — a TV snack cart on wheels? Amazing!

lane-acclaim-specialty-tables

lane acclaim coffee table

Was there MORE Lane Acclaim? We searched the blog and found this photo from this story. A different surfboard coffee table from the same line?

The Boomerang table above is one I’ve seen before — but the picture window table with the big drawer — that’s new to me.

lane-acclaim-end-tables

From the Lane Acclaim catalog:

Although contemporary in classification, Acclaim furniture has a distinct hand-crafted quality that gives it unusual warmth and mellowness. Edges are softly rounded and suggest patient hand-working, rubbing, more hand-working and rubbing to achieve the soft, sculptured contours. Only the top 35% grade of walnut on the market is considered for this furniture. Then, out of 100 feet purchased, only 40 feet will meet Lane’s exacting requirements for grain and color. This fine wood is then finished with a mellow gunstock patina, enriched in character with dovetail inlays. Let your finger-tips brush across the satin-sooth dovetailing — you won’t be able to tell where the joinings are. Drawers operate easily and smoothly on steel ball bearing drawer guides.

lane-acclaim-desklane-acclaim-hutchesThe hutches and buffets are especially interesting. The drawer edges seem to have the same dovetail detail that the popular coffee tables have. I’d love to see one of these in the wild.

lane-acclaim-buffet-shelflane-acclaim-chairs-and-hutchAbove: Lane Acclaim chairs — who would have guessed?

lane-acclaim-dining-tablesWhere there are chairs there is bound to be a few dining table options — again sporting the signature dovetail edges. Fantastic!

lane-acclaim-keyhole-desk-wedge-tablelane-acclaim-chests

The dressers and chests in this line are also quite amazing.lane-acclaim-chests-and-serverlane-acclaim-dresser-and-end-tableslane-acclaim-dresserslane-acclaim-cedar-chestBeing Lane — the company most notably known for their cedar chests — of course the Acclaim line had to have one. The Lane Acclaim Cedar Chest above appears to have “matchmaker changeable front panels” giving it maximum decorative versatility.

lane-acclaim-panel-bedAgain — I was surprised to see that there are headboards in this line — sporting the well known dovetailed motif.

lane-acclaim-headboardsThe catalog also has cleaning and care instructions for Lane Acclaim furniture:

Directions: To polish, first clean the surface lightly with a moistened cloth. Then apply a good furniture polish smoothly with the grain. After it dries, gently polish the surface with a soft cloth. With brand-new furniture, do this once a week for the first month. After that time, polish occasionally to keep the beautiful finish. Dust regularly, but do it lightly because dust is abrasive.

Caution: Don’t place rubber-based lamps, telephones, radios or other objects on lacquer finishes unless the surfaces are protected by pads. Rubber can cause a chemical reaction, turning the finish yellow. It is also advisable to avoid placing furniture where it is constantly exposed to direct sunlight.

Mega thanks to reader Dave for sharing his treasured Lane Acclaim catalog with the Retro Renovation clan. To view the catalog, see our slideshow below:

SeeAllOurVintageCatalogsSMALL

Tips to view slide show: Click on first image… it will enlarge and you can also read my captions… move forward or back via arrows below the photo… you can start or stop at any image:?

• Get our retrolicious free newsletter.

Comments

1. blair kooistra says:

Being a bit of an numbers-and-dates kinda guy, what I find cool about the Acclaim–in addition to the great styling, of course–is that the pieces all have a “Builder’s Date.” The series of numbers underneath the pieces can be read in backwards order to determine their manufacturing date. Our pieces are all from 62-63-64–Kennedy and Johnson era. Kinda cool (and a bit anal compulsive on my part) to determine what was going on in the country on the day my furniture was built!

2. blair kooistra says:

The Acclaim line was soooo popular in the US in the early 60s–I’m sure if you watched old episodes of game shows that Wink Martindale would get the contestants all atwitter by telling them they could win an Acclaim Living room set!

A friend of about my age, who doesn’t understand my interest in this stuff, visited the house and recalled that his parents owned the exact same tables. “Hated them then, hated them now.” Of course, he’s a fan of Restoration Hardware-type furniture, so go figure!

3. Recently, a local second-hand place had a one piece hutch in nice condition for $100. I went and looked at it several times but I didn’t have a job at the time and couldn’t justify the purchase! I regret it now though. I still think about it often and now seeing it in this catalog…I wish I had just spent the money!!!

4. Marvelous! I found a Lane parquet top end table with brass legs at The Goodwill for $4…I think it might be worth a lot more now.

5. I have my folks Lane dovetail drum table with the closed door sides. Never knew what it was until for some reason I had it turned upside down last year. Have yet to find another on eBay etc. It’s in fine condition and the inside still smells like new. Have often thought about getting rid of it, but guess I’ll hang on to it for now.

6. gsciencechick says:

Thanks for posting! We have the 900-001 coffee table, and in last week’s Mad Men episode, we noticed it in one of the offices (I think Don’s). Would love the wedge end table.

• Carolyn says:

Ted has the Lane Acclaim tables in his office. I spotted them right away and had to pause the TV and have a celebration! We have the round cocktail table and 2 either lamp or end tables in our living room and I have the boomerang (swivel) table and a step table in waiting.
        A point that should be made about this line is that is was mass produced and priced to sell per this website. http://www.jetsetmodern.com/lane.htm
        “Showroom appeal was all very well, but Acclaim also benefited from Lane’s high quality standards. Although Lane never pretended it was doing anything but making mass-produced furniture at an affordable price, Acclaim customers got those genuine walnut tops, an oven-baked lacquer finish, and top-notch gluing and doweling that guaranteed sturdiness. The finish was so good it happily stood up to kids, pets, toys, and spilled drinks. A full-grown man could stand on a piece of the stuff with no danger whatever.

What was astonishing about Acclaim was the price. In 1963, the rectangular coffee table went for only $29.95- equivalent to only about $160 today. Only Lane, with its skillful design team that made wood go as far as possible without sacrificing quality, could have pulled off such a coup. With its appealing looks, built-to-last quality, and that kind of pricing, it was inevitable that Acclaim would be successful.”

• dave, the owner of the catalog here. yes! that was two lane lamp tables and a cocktail table in ted chaough’s office. although now that they’ve moved in with sterling cooper, i have yet to see them in ted’s new digs. it’s surprising to me that it took a show as period meticulous as MM six years to have acclaim make an appearance. and why in an office? acclaim’s target market was actually someone like betty.

sharp eyes might have noticed that pete cambell’s office this season is done in lane rhythm (coffee table and two lamp tables).

• Hi Dave
            Just found this information on the lane acclaim furniture. We have been lucky enough to find 3 pieces so far. The most recent was the console table. Is in pretty good condition. Is there a place to find a value of these or would you have any information? Thank you.

7. Cynthia says:

My brother has the 42″ Round extension dining table #301-54 (leaves missing) and 4 of the 301-70 side chairs, which I bought at a hospital thrift shop for him last Christmas. Paid $150. They are beautiful, as are all the designs shown in the brochure.

8. Barb in Ct says:

I have an Acclaim coffee table that’s not shown. It’s past it’s glory days now, but I love and even cherish the crayon marks in the drawer as a token of it’s former life. I’d own every piece in the line if I could.

9. Anyone know anything about this style of Lane table? I saw a round coffee table that had this style. Is there a name for this???

Style Number: 0917-18
      Serial Number: 959190

10. I have a dresser, 2 night stands, and a chest of drawers. Lost the headboard and the mirror from the dresser. Mother is about to throw away the footboard. It’s a full, I have a queen. I enjoy the style very much!

• hey susan,
        i have the full sized headboard with no footboard…any chance your mom still has the footboard?

11. Christina says:

How would I go about finding out the value of my table? Its style # 987-17. it is a square table, i have been using as a coffee table but my grandmother used as a side table so I’m unsure what it was considered.

12. I recently acquired the Acclaim 2-tier boomerang coffee taale, but it does not have legs! Instead, a sculptural open panel-type support under each end. Ever seen this?

• Lane Acclaim says:

Your boomerang table might be Lane “Perception” instead of Acclaim. Perception has similar tops, but without dovetail inlays. And often has “looped” legs like yours. The telltale Perception detail is the basketweave pattern that appears on doorfronts and drawers. But there was no place to include those on your table.
        Check the underside label. If it says 908-xx or 990-xx, then it is Perception. Acclaim tables are typically marked 900-xx.

13. mike petriskey says:

I have recently obtained an Acclaim coffee table #900-01 and was wondering what type of woods wood make up the table top?

Thank You.

• The Acclaim series should be solid oak and walnut. They used lesser-grade solid walnut panels to make the main body of the furniture, with higher-grade veneer on top for attractiveness. The bullnose edges and dovetail veneer inserts are oak.

14. mike petriskey says:

I did see that there is Walnut in the table top but due to the two colors, I was curious if different woods were used also..
      Thanks!

15. Barb Whitlock says:

Hi
      Researched the acclaim series just yesterday because…..my husband rescued a well loved 900-92 model, lamp table, which was ready to go in the dumpster! The guy handed it to my husband, complete with the metal drawer handle, detached, but in the drawer. Refinished now, and it is an absolute beauty! Just wanted to share this.

16. George K. says:

I have my mom and dad’s cocktail and end tables that they bought as their first living room furniture in 1959. My grandparents’ neighbor made glass tops for both pieces as a wedding gift so they have been well protected over the years. There are family slides from their first Christmas in their apartment where the pieces are well documented. In the 70s, the end table held our first color TV while the cocktail table was in the basement, then up to the 2nd floor hall room in the 80s with all my new wave posters. I’ve had them since ’93 through two apartments and one house. In “Down With Love” which takes place in 1962, David Hyde Pierce’s character has the end table in his apartment.

17. Thank you for posting such a great wealth of info on the Lane Acclaim line. I have a couple questions referring to two Lane Step Up end tables that I recently acquired.

Based on the catalog information above the finish is a lacquer. Is this true to all lane finishes for this particular era?

My Step Up end tables are Style number 1487.

Serial No. 752020 Translates to a manufacture date of 02/02/57?

Marked “Lane Altavista, VA Reg. US. Pat. Off”

The finish of the tables is still glossy in most areas but there are some imperfections present which look like “chemical burns”. For example there is a finger print in the gloss, one of the tables appear to have crazing in the finish etc.

8 pictures are attached below via a photobucket link.

Is there a way to simply “correct” or smooth over these ruff patches and have them look smooth and glossy again, or does the table need to be refinished? Also if any one know for sure what the actual finish is I would love to know. I want get these tables looking good as new again. Many thanks for any comments.

18. I have a old lane round table with ceramic inlay all around in American history can’t find anything like it anywhere just would like to know more If you can help in anyway please replay back

19. I have a Lane Acclaim desk but am missing original drawer pulls (3 of them). Looking for help in finding them. I have seen it described as being designed by Andre Bus and called either a writing or student desk.

• Something worth noting – there were at least two different styles of pulls used on the Acclaim drawers over the years.

• I’ve seen 3 different pulls on Acclaim desks. The student desk by Andre Bus has a different style pull than the kneehole desk. I’ve seen pics of the kneehole desk with sort of notched-in handles too. My kneehole desk has shiny silver pulls that are a very subtle v-shape with slight curlicue thingies on the ends. They actually don’t look correct or original but they are…I’ve seen the same pulls on various Acclaim pieces online.

20. Cliff Swearingen says:

I have a Lane swivel coffee table but it is not the Acclaim line in that it does not have the dove-tail detailing. The legs are different too being generally a ‘U’ shape with 45 degree angle support struts. The style # 908-91 and the serial # 666-150. Do you have any idea what year this was made and an estimated value. It is in good condition. Thank you.

21. Talene Kap says:

Just can across this site, I have been looking for information about my Lane dinning table. Bought it at a garage sale it gives a serial number of 4985280 Style 876 52 and Walter of Wabash hand carved the sides. Lane could not identify the piece years ago. Does anyone know about this table, know there is a hutch that matches? thanks

22. I wish I could post a picture of our 1969 bedroom suit. I’m looking for a queen headboard to match it. Its a Mediterranean style with a green antique finish. Can you tell me how yo post a picture?

23. I brought a cocktail table at a Salvation Army furniture store years ago for $60.00. This table has beautiful ferruls at the end of each leg. I receintly brought an end table from Craig’s list and when I got it home I noticed all the leg ends were painted black. I paid $90.00 for this table and ordered chrome ferrels for $80.00. When I contacted the seller about the furniture, he said all of this style has the black painted legs. Is this true?

• Lane Acclaim says:

All of the Acclaim pieces have fake ferrules on the legs. They are just painted black, and have a small groove cut above the painted tip to make it look like a metal cap. I’ve only seen a single piece that had a metal foot, and that was the rolling tea cart (where the metal supported the wheels).

24. Galen Tarman says:

Am curious about style # 906-17…i don’t see that this is part of the acclaim catalog styles…it’s the walnut smaller coffee table with crosses x base sitting on the floor….i see references to this being an Acclaim table but no proof….Anyone know different?