Vintage Lane Acclaim catalog — showcasing 48 pieces in this classic furniture design favorite

Furniture-that-makes-your-room-LaneThe vintage Lane Acclaim line of furniture seems to have been very popular in mid century America. We speculate that — much like the popular Drexel Declaration line — the design of Lane Acclaim appealed to Mrs. America because it was a good compromise between traditional and modern. It was a little bit Early American, a little bit mid mod.

Remember: The mass of Mrs. Americas were not nuts about mid century modern. But maybe she could tiptoe in. Interestingly — also like Drexel Declaration, there’s a Shaker feel to the Lane Acclaim design — you can see how the wood is connected. Reader Dave is a big fan of the line. He recently acquired what seems to be a very hard-to-find catalog of available pieces from the Lane Acclaim Line — and graciously shares it with all of us today.

Dave writes:

After much hunting, I finally tracked down a complete Lane Acclaim catalog on Ebay and have scanned it. This is a small booklet, 3″ x 4″, that was hung on showroom pieces with a string. As someone who owns six lane pieces (all tables) I was surprised to learn how extensive the line actually was! Especially since you mostly see only the tables trading, with possibly an occasional hutch or desk. I think it would be of value for MCM fans to have access to this great historical record of a classic furniture line. It’s a valuable reference for buyers and sellers.

lane-acclaim-side-tablesThis story is particularly fun for me, because I have a Lane Acclaim table — it is the cocktail table 900-01 (shown in the lead photo.) My mother in law gave it to me. It was her parent’s coffee table.

But, I’ve never seen most of the furniture that is in this catalog. Look at those nesting tables above — it looks to me like the top one has the dovetailed edge and the inner one doesn’t. Very interesting.

lane-acclaim-snack-table-and-cartAnd what is that I see — a TV snack cart on wheels? Amazing!

lane acclaim coffee table

Was there MORE Lane Acclaim? We searched the blog and found this photo from this story. A different surfboard coffee table from the same line?

The Boomerang table above is one I’ve seen before — but the picture window table with the big drawer — that’s new to me.

From the Lane Acclaim catalog:

Although contemporary in classification, Acclaim furniture has a distinct hand-crafted quality that gives it unusual warmth and mellowness. Edges are softly rounded and suggest patient hand-working, rubbing, more hand-working and rubbing to achieve the soft, sculptured contours. Only the top 35% grade of walnut on the market is considered for this furniture. Then, out of 100 feet purchased, only 40 feet will meet Lane’s exacting requirements for grain and color. This fine wood is then finished with a mellow gunstock patina, enriched in character with dovetail inlays. Let your finger-tips brush across the satin-sooth dovetailing — you won’t be able to tell where the joinings are. Drawers operate easily and smoothly on steel ball bearing drawer guides.

lane-acclaim-desklane-acclaim-hutchesThe hutches and buffets are especially interesting. The drawer edges seem to have the same dovetail detail that the popular coffee tables have. I’d love to see one of these in the wild.

lane-acclaim-buffet-shelflane-acclaim-chairs-and-hutchAbove: Lane Acclaim chairs — who would have guessed?

lane-acclaim-dining-tablesWhere there are chairs there is bound to be a few dining table options — again sporting the signature dovetail edges. Fantastic!

The dressers and chests in this line are also quite amazing.lane-acclaim-chests-and-serverlane-acclaim-dresser-and-end-tableslane-acclaim-dresserslane-acclaim-cedar-chestBeing Lane — the company most notably known for their cedar chests — of course the Acclaim line had to have one. The Lane Acclaim Cedar Chest above appears to have “matchmaker changeable front panels” giving it maximum decorative versatility.

lane-acclaim-panel-bedAgain — I was surprised to see that there are headboards in this line — sporting the well known dovetailed motif.

lane-acclaim-headboardsThe catalog also has cleaning and care instructions for Lane Acclaim furniture:

Directions: To polish, first clean the surface lightly with a moistened cloth. Then apply a good furniture polish smoothly with the grain. After it dries, gently polish the surface with a soft cloth. With brand-new furniture, do this once a week for the first month. After that time, polish occasionally to keep the beautiful finish. Dust regularly, but do it lightly because dust is abrasive.

Caution: Don’t place rubber-based lamps, telephones, radios or other objects on lacquer finishes unless the surfaces are protected by pads. Rubber can cause a chemical reaction, turning the finish yellow. It is also advisable to avoid placing furniture where it is constantly exposed to direct sunlight.

Mega thanks to reader Dave for sharing his treasured Lane Acclaim catalog with the Retro Renovation clan. To view the catalog, see our slideshow below:

Tips to view slide show: Click on first image… it will enlarge and you can also read my captions… move forward or back via arrows below the photo… you can start or stop at any image:?

1. jenn says

I have a a 6? Piece bedroom suite from 84′ cherry finish tallboy, long dresser w/mirror 2 side tables and head and foot board queen size. Looking for value on this set..thanks!!

• Kate says

Hi Jenn,

We do not do valuations here as cost depends on condition and demand in your area. I would suggest trying to sell it on Craigslist locally based on what other, similar pieces are selling for. Good luck.

• Shell says

That can’t be a Lane Acclaim suite you describe (as that is what this discussion is about). It would be walnut or walnut veneer and would have been produced in 1963-65. Sorry.

2. Sally says

I bought a small cube with veneer in a patchwork pattern. I can’t find a picture of one like it anywhere. I’m not sure if it was a table or an ottoman or much of anything. I’m trying to identify it.

3. Alyssa Harris says

I have the boomerang/”surf board” table shown above in the color photo. Does anyone know what it is worth. I also have a 2 tiered side table. I would be interested in selling both.

4. Kelly says

I have two end tables serial # 366130 that I have refinished. Unfortunately, I refinshed them before finding this site and I knew knowing about gunstock before I finished the process. The tables turned out beautifully, however. I’m ready to sell them but I’m unsure how I should price them. Can anyone help??

5. Renee says

I have recently inherited 3 pieces of LANE altavisata,VA reg style no’s 908-05 side table curved floating legs with bras balls also a basket weave drawer, 908-01 surf board style table with two tone walnut I believe it has very shape legs and basket weave drawer. serial no.2622290 and 908-06 serial no.269290 I think it’s a side table or bedside no drawer just a shelf and the side’s have basketweave design and it also has the round floating like legs with brass ball accents. Do you know anymore information about this series from what I have looked up there was 2 designers at this time line my tables have the design around the Lane sign like a barrel shape I guess.

6. Dale says

I have a Lane hanging wall unit of Rosewood. It is particularly striking but I can not find any info as to vintage, much less value. The unit consists of a 10′ hanging credenza with 4 bays and 8 doors It has brass hardware and keys. The shelving system associated with it has interlocking shelf supports which fasten to the wall stringers and the shelves Not at all like the strung wire Cado systems.This system is so much more sophisticated. I do have both. I sure would appreciate any help/info in finding out what I have on my wall!

Dale, I am not an expert on this. Perhaps someone who knows will respond. It certainly sounds awesome!

7. Carrie Whitmer says

I’m not looking for a valuation, but I need help in finding the style number of a pair of nightstands I picked up at a yard sale. The serial # is 461380, which I understand means they were manufactured 8.31.64. I have searched images, etc trying to find a match. There is also the number 308-30 on the back along with the Lane brand. Any reference sites/materials would be greatly appreciated.

8. DMW says

I found a beautiful Acclaim (I know this now because of this great web site) in the trash! I saw its beauty instantly and grabbed it. It’s in great condition with only a white water mark on it, which my husband is going to try to minimize. One man’s trash…

9. Wayne Rocheleau says

Great article. I have four pieces from this collection, the 900-01, 900-06, and two -92s.
    I know you don’t do evaluations. However, do you know what those pieces might have retailed for in 1959? I know that they were not too expensive. Of course, a nice house could be bought in 1959 for less than furnishing a nice dining room today.

10. Jimi says

Some say “ash” and some say “oak”? What wood did Lane use in the Dovetail Acclaim Series Walut/Ash or Walnut/ Oak? I have even heard Mahogany? Someone Please Where can I find this factual information?

11. Jason says

Good evening! My dad recently passed away and he had a pair of Lane step tables (Style No. 0900-07). I am trying to find out what fair market value would be if i restored them to new condition. Can you give me any information? Thank you very much!

Jason, we do not do valuations. Go slow with “restore them to new condition.” As a general rule, original patina is more desirable to a true collector…

• Stephanie says

I sell mid century furnishings and never once have I had anyone say gee I wish this had the original ugly finish on it. No one wants that. They will always try to get a discount on the price if it has the original finish. So sorry, the ‘original patina is not desirable’ to many or any that I know of. Maybe the shabby chic crowd, wait no that would slap some of that clay paint on it so not even they like it.

That said, do not worry about ruining the value if you refinish any MCM furniture everyone wants it in pristine condition. They may quibble about refinishing, but they will bitch like hell if there is one bit of fading, a single scratch, blemish or nick so it has to be refinished at least in part.

• says

I also resell 20th century furniture. Refinishing, I feel, depends on the rarity of the piece in question. I have several high end pieces I wouldn’t dare touch, and true collectors seek original condition, regardless of scratches or worn or torn areas. High production pieces, on the other hand, could be nicely refinished, and some even altered to fit modern decor. Those usually sell to general, “budget friendly” crowd. I have one Lane Acclaim dresser on which I debated placing a small portion of vaneer. But, after speaking with several clients, they suggested I leave it be. I suppose it all depends on your clientele in the end, if you’re a dealer.

12. Vicki says

Trying to find information on the two tow tier tables I have. On the bottom it has this information.:
    Virginia Maid, style # 984-07, Serial # 460340
    They don’t have the dove tail across the edge like I’ve seen. These have what I call ” Butterflies ” on each corner.

13. Randy says

Do you know anything about a Lane Acclaim boomerang table style 973-11/ Has an inset of gray tiles on one end. Is this table rare? Is it indeed part of the Acclaim series?

14. Jennifer says

Hi! I’m a longtime reader, avid fan, and follower of Retrorenovation!! It’s my absolute favorite corner of the worldwide web! Pam, thanks so much for doing what you do! I have a Lane Acclaim dining table that is in pretty rough shape. It was just given to us sight unseen by a friend who knew we needed a dining room table! After living with it as is for three years, my husband and I have decided to refinish it. I know this is typically frowned upon by collectors, but we don’t care because we have no intention of selling it, only living with it, and we would be much more comfortable living with it if it were in better looking shape! We were lucky enough to get it for free, so this seems like the obvious choice, compared to buying anything new or vintage at $400 and up! Anyway, we are unsure about what type of finish to use. We want a practical, durable finish that will withstand having a sweaty glass on it for more than five minutes without acquiring a permanent ring, and we want it to look as close to the original finish as possible. Does anyone know what finish Lane used? Does anyone have suggestions as to a decent, durable product to use? Any help would be greatly appreciated!