Mid century modern chicken coop

midcentury style chicken coop

Yesterday we took a look at the mid century modern style playhouse that Cool Dad Luke built for his kids. Alas and alack, the chickens were envious, so Luke gave them their own little mid century modern chicken coop to match. Yes, I gotta say it: This retro chicken coop is surely a design to crow about.

mid century modern house

Luke’s gorgeous mid century house

As with the first story, I was so impressed that I could hardly believe Luke really built this. He wrote back:

Hi Pam,

Yes, I built it. It was fairly easy because I had already built the playhouse and the design is really similar. Plus it was easier because it didn’t have to be as sturdy. The design of the playhouse was really important because of all the force exerted by kids swinging at once!

Besides what I knew from the design of the playhouse, I also looked at the many designs of backyard chicken coops online – there are tons! And some of them are super elaborate and really well built.

retro chicken coop

Elevating the house so the chickens could go underneath is a great idea, they love going under there for shade and I think it feels more secure for them. I can’t remember where I saw that but it wasn’t my idea. I just spent a few evenings searching online and then mashed up the design of the playhouse with the things I saw online.

Luke

Wow, some nice chicken shack, for sure! Thanks, Luke, you rockadoodle-do! Wallpaper border below from Hannah’s, just for fun.

vintage-chicken-wallpaper border

Comments

1. Wendy in St. Louis says

Oh this is too much! *LOVE*!!! The kids’ playhouse…wonderiffic. But this cool pad for your hip chicks….genious! I need to know if they will be laying turquoise eggs with little sputniks on them :)

2. Kkmk says

Wow! I thought the playhouse was creative but this is really unusual. It’s another hint at how fabulous the inside of the house must be!

3. Jay says

Wow! Sure hope those chicks appreciate the mid century coolness going on with their coop.
    Pam, please stop teasing us and show us the house!!!!

4. midmichigan says

Ha, ha!! These are fun! Maybe Luke can make some MCM hats, outdoor grills, dog houses, outdoor canopies or tents, wastebaskets and more. Go for it!

5. Rick S says

Wonderful chicken coop. Please tell me you have chickens for the eggs and not the “built in grill” you have in the house :(

rick

P s I am still waiting for the tickets to the house tour.

6. Cynthia says

We are calling this “The Year of The Chicken,” and have been researching building a coop and starting a small backyard flock before the summer is over. You better believe I passed this link to my husband…coolest thing I’ve seen in a long time. Luke, you are an inspiration!

7. Jacquiebear says

I just love the chicken coop and the retro colours. It looks quite Australian with the colour bond roof. This would also be a great design for Sydney Australia. Would love to see the plans online. Fantastic job!

8. DudeAbides says

this is wonderful, through all of my research on coops this was the mishmash design I settled on. Great minds think alike! is that a really large nesting box or does it serve a dual purpose?

9. Scott says

Awesome and hysterical, this “Design for Laying” made my day.

Plus, my compliments, until now I thought tastefully-designed children’s play areas only existed in photos from vintage books, how wonderful to see a real world example.

• says

I agree. Please post materials list and plans? We have a midcentury ranch and I’m about to build something very similar to this in our backyard for our new chicks. Love your design and the playhouse! Nice work!