Kate finishes installing her B&W pink bathroom wall tiles — finally!

pink-tile-bathroomKates-bathroomMonday afternoon felt like Christmas morning at my house. Why, you ask? Because after 90+ hours of work — planning, cutting and adhering — my B&W pink ceramic wall tiles are all finally installed. When the very last tile was put into place, the happy dancing commenced. The pink tile makes it the space “glowy,” as Pam would say. And after having the floor covered up to protect it from mortar spills during the install, it finally came out of hiding to meet the wall tiles. Let me tell you — I am in love.

kate-pantsTo commemorate the moment, I set up a tripod and snapped a few photos of myself acting like a weirdo. As soon as the photo shoot was over, those pants went in the trash. I have this bad habit from art school of wiping my hands on my pants, which has produced a lot of “designer jeans” over the years. These bad boys were encased in mortar and nearly stood up on their own. Yuck. I had also tossed the drywall jeans. So, better figure a clothing budget into all the 84 costs to consider for a bathroom remodel, if you’re doing it DIY.

pink-ceramic-tilesAnyway, back to the bathroom. Prior to this marathon wall tile session, the only vertical tile installations in my repertoire were two, small, one-inch tile back splash jobs in my previous and current kitchen. So, given the size of this job, before beginning I researched tile installation as much as possible — trying to anticipate the unique challenges that may be encountered on my job. In reality, I’ve found that while it is great to do a lot of research to prepare for a job like this, you really do learn the most from actually doing the work. That being said and knowing what I know now, I was an absolute nut bag for attempting this tile job as my first foray into full bathroom tiling.

pink-ceramic-tile-bathroomWhile installing wall tile was not as physical a strain lifting heavy pieces of drywall and cement board, figuring out the tile layout took me a day and a half of straight mental work. I’m a very visual person who is not a math expert, so doing the tile layout meant a lot of sketches. I measured and counted tiles, obsessed over the exact size of the grout lines and how their size affects everything, and agonized over how to make the transitions around all the corners in the bathroom. After finally deciding on a pleasing layout and getting the guide lines drawn on the walls, my brain was reduced to mush.

pink-retro-bathroomOnce the layout was finalized, it was time to start putting up the full tiles. The seven-feet-high walls of of pink tile in the shower felt like an endless job. At one point, I thought I might die in there before all of the tile was installed. Tiling a shower plays games with your head.

shower-niche-pink-ceramic-tileSee that niche? It took me a solid six hours to do just this small section of the shower. The inside of the niche was especially difficult. The slightly sloped angle (which allows water to drain out) made for difficult tile cutting. Proudly though, I managed to keep all the grout lines in line. Impressed?

ceramic-wall-tiles-bathroom-closetOver Labor Day weekend, when I originally hoped to finish installing the wall tiles, I realized that the wood trim around the windows, door and closet needed to be installed before I could put in the tile near those spots. This necessitated my deciding just how I was going to frame the closet. I then had to take measurements and head off to the store to find acceptable trim for the job. During the trim shenanigans, I also accidentally hit my finger with a hammer, causing another slight delay until the throbbing slowed enough to continue.

closet-tileSo far, the closet opening is looking pretty good. Making the door for this closet terrifies me, but there is still plenty of time to figure that part out as it is not essential to finish before we can start using the bathroom.

end-of-tile-wallThe wall end-caps, the top of the partial wall, and the shower curb were difficult and slow going. It took me another whole day to do these areas. Making sure the everything was straight and that the curb sloped correctly were nerve wracking and very time consuming.

shower-curbpink-ceramic-tile-shower tile-backsplashNow the only “hole” in the tile wall is where the vanity will be built. It was helpful both in planning the vanity and for tile layout purposes, to draw the outline of the vanity directly onto the wall. Doing this made it easy for me to see where the tile backsplash should go.

b&w-pink-tilesHere are a few tips that I learned by tackling this project — for anyone thinking about attempting something similar:

• Do spend the time agonizing over the layout. It is a lot easier to redraw lines on the wall than to remove tiles once they are adhered. The layout is, in my opinion, the hardest part of tiling.
  • Set a low row or two of tiles for the length of the wall, making sure they are level and then let them dry overnight. This will create a good base for all of the tiles above to sit on.
  • As you go, make sure to check that each new row of tile is level and plumb  — maybe not every tile, but every row. This helps prevent your suddenly realizing that your whole wall went crooked somewhere.
  • Try to make the wall as flat as possible. Lumps and humps where cement board seams meet or drywall bows a bit, happen. Do your best to keep things flush and flat.
  • Buy, borrow or rent a tile saw. You will need it.
  • Even if your tile has lugs (bumps on the edge that act as spacers), buy and use the plastic “x” spacers anyway. I bought a box of 1,200 spacers for $6. It was money well spent.
  • Pre-mixed mortar is more expensive, but saves time — says the girl who spent “only” 90 hours installing wall tile.
  • Make sure to buy extra tile. I bought 20% more 4.25″ square wall tiles than I needed, as well as extra specialty pieces like bullnose and cushion edge tiles. Some tiles will be chipped or broken in shipping and mistakes happen. Plus if 20 years down the road you need some replacements, you’ll have spares.

garage-cleaned-upI’m totally jazzed that the tiling portion of this bathroom remodel is over. Since all the tile is on the wall instead of on a palette in the garage, my husband Jim can actually park his car in there again. That makes me months early on my promise to have it cleared out before the snow flies.

Now, on to grouting.

Readers, have you attempted to tile bathroom walls before?
What tips do you have for others?

Comments

1. Chris says

Girl! That is a LOT of tile! Are your fingertips totally dried out and sore?

The bathroom is going to be wonderful! Yay for you and all your hard work! I can’t believe you did all that! Impressed! Impressed!

2. lynda says

Wow! Kate you are the ultimate DIY home owner. I see a perfect job. All those hours of agonizing paid off. I wonder how much it would have cost to have the job done? The pinks go together perfectly. You should list your sources again in the post in case someone stumbles on this post and does not know the back stories. Perfection pays off when doing tile work. Just imagine how you will feel when you actually get to use this beautiful space!

click on the little logo at the top — the “kate builds a pink bathroom” — and it will take you to all of Kate’s previous stories

Thanks Lynda,

I’m not sure how much it would have cost to hire someone else to put in the tile, since this is a complex job, but I know someone who paid about $4,000 for a tile job in their bathroom a few years back. I’m guessing I saved at least that much…

• Kate says

Hmmm I don’t know about that JKaye…I would need some help for sure. Maybe I could restore an entire home on my own over the course of 10 years…hehehehehe

I can’t believe you attacked this job all on your own, that’s a ridiculous amount of tile. It looks great! Looking forward to seeing it all grouted, then you’ll really be in the home stretch.

I have some grouting repair\replacement to do on the tile in my bathroom (Stylon brown square tile) that I keep putting off because I’m afraid it will be a bigger job than I anticipate. I need to suck it up and do it.

Thanks Doug,

It was an unreal amount of tile. I was in the shower working for DAYS…

I too, have some grout repairs to make in my other bathroom. The tile is in pretty good shape in there, and besides the fact that I am starting to be sick of working in the bathroom all weekend, I also am nervous that it will turn into a bigger job too. At least I discovered that B&W’s white salt and pepper tile is a near exact match for the original salt & pepper tiles in that bathroom, so if something breaks while I’m trying to scrape out the old grout, I can call up B&W. I LOVE THEM. :)

4. miya says

As Pam would say “Woot Woot”! Great job says this tile-laying mama. Every time I do another tile project I learn a new trick, but gotta say those niches are one of the most difficult installs you will encounter. I still see little ‘mistakes’ in some of my jobs – small bump in the floor, a crooked grout line, mosaic design a little off, but no one else ever notices. Your patience really paid off cuz your room looks perfect!!!!

I live near you- maybe we should quit our day jobs and start our own business – “Tile Laying Chicks” or “Mortor Mama’s” …..

Thanks miya,

Yes, there are mistakes in my job too. I am trying to not beat myself up too much about them, and think once everything is grouted they will be less obvious.

Thanks for the offer to go into business, but I think I’m ok with taking a break from tiling. Plus I work too slowly, I would never make any money! ;)

That is super impressive! It looks fantastic and I’m very proud of you!! I bet you did the happy dance to end all happy dances when you finished. ;-) I can’t wait to see the next step.

6. MCM is Grand says

Hello, can someone help me with this tile question? (Beautiful job, Kate, by the way)…we have some 1955 bullnose tile that is cracked. Some pieces can be pulled off, others are just fractures…I have found replacements from B & W..how difficult will it be to remove and replace these? I am fearful of destroying the neighboring tiles. Has anyone done this? I think the tiles are mud set ???

• says

Pulling tile usually isn’t too difficult to do – the biggest issue I usually have is trying not to damage (too much) what the tile is attached to. If you have original tile it is possible that you don’t have cement board underneath it and the underlying sheeterock can come off in chunks.

When I remove tile, I take a grout saw and clear the grout from around the tile in question, then carefully pry it up (screwdriver or other appropriate small tool), being careful not to exert too much pressure on the neighboring tile to not damage it, even putting something soft under it. Depending on the space it can be helpful to get something wider behind the tile like a putty knife, but sometimes that’s not possible.

• Kelly Wittenauer says

Douglas makes a good point about damage to the underlying substrate. I remember arriving at my brother’s first house one day, before he got home from work. His wife greeted me with, “Your brother’s gona kill me, look at this wall.” Dad had loaned her one of those big suction cups used for pulling dents out of cars – to remove a wall of mirror tiles in their living room. Pulled the tiles right off, along with a big chunk of drywall behind each one where the glue was!

Precautionary Pam is gonna jump in: Remember, peoples: Vintage nastiness can be anywhere in the layers of your house. Get your own properly licensed professional help to help you assess what’s in the layers of your house before you go ripping stuff out and having particles fly everywhere. Renovate Safe.

• LoquaciousLaura says

Hi MCM is Grand —

I have experience with removing bullnose and field mud-set tile. I would say that popping off bullnose was the easiest part — we were trying to keep everything we removed intact — and the way I did this was to chip out the grout, then put a screwdriver behind and tap lightly with a hammer on the screwdriver. Easy does it. Removing field tile is much more difficult.

You are likely to damage the substrate no matter what you do. In my 1953 bathroom, I discovered that all the wall tile was adhered to plywood and that when I pulled off some tiles, a little plywood might splinter/come off. But if you’re just replacing a few, if you properly grout and then caulk the top of the tile, it shouldn’t be a big deal.

If you remove field tile, getting a sharp-pointed tool against the center of the tile and intentionally fracturing the tile might be a good idea. Removing smaller chunks was easier for me (surprisingly).

7. Jennifer Kepesh says

What a labor of love! And thanks for the tips. I would never have thought of drawing on the walls themselves…duh, it will be covered….Reading about all that went into this, I think about when I had my first child, and realized that every mistake I made, every hard thing I went through, made it imperative for me to have more children to put that knowledge to use. So I guess I’m saying, get ready for the aqua-tiled walls of your den…

• Kate says

You make a good point Jennifer…

We have a full basement that is completely unfinished that we may want to finish at some point in the future…perhaps by then I could be convinced to tile another bathroom…

8. Mid Century/Mid TN Mom says

WOW!!!! As Kate’s VERY PROUD Mom I must say that this project TOTALLY went above all the other projects my very talented daughter has tackled and succeeded at doing! Speaking for the rest of the family … WE ARE SO IMPRESSED … it is a BEAUTIFUL job and we look forward to seeing it in person next time we visit! Yay Kate! We love you!!!!

9. Allen says

Kate this is a BEAUTIFUL bathroom. Great Job! Are the doors shown in the photos original or replacements. The wood-grain is beautiful.

• Kate says

The entry door to the bathroom is original. I left it up during construction to keep Leo out of the bathroom. It survived without any new scratches. The tricky part will be trying to get the new stain to match the old door!

I also re-used the old door trim around the window to conserve money and resources.

10. Andi says

Congratulations, Kate!! The tile looks fabulous!!

I can’t even IMAGINE coping with the amount of planning, perseverance and meticulous attention to tiny measurements required to accomplish this job—I am SO impressed!!

We are in the midst of a tub-to-shower conversion that was not a DIY. Those days are behind us!

This job has dragged on since May 23 due to a number of contractor errors in ordering, etc. There have been several tile (and grout) re-orders, and we are still waiting for one double-bullnose tile that got broken—yes, WHY didn’t he order more than we needed?? (Daltile Aqua Glow takes at least 8 weeks.)

Our tile setter (who is not the person who orders the tile) is brilliant, though….and has an able assistant. And creating my new shower has caused THEM (who do this for a living) seemingly endless hours of decision-making and precision-planning, cutting and installing.

I work from home and have overheard these calculation sessions, so I have a faint idea of what you have gone through. Just can’t imagine a first-timer dealing with all of this—and with such fabulous, incredible results—you are one amazing woman!

Plus, I LOVE the pink, and the floor….can’t wait to see the finished room!

Thanks Andi!

WOW — that makes me feel better to know that even the pros take FOREVER to figure out the tile layout. I thought it was just my mediocre math skills…

I credit a lot of my ability to do these projects to two things — going to art school and taking a number of different studio classes (doing everything from painting to welding) to learn how to use my hands to make things, and my handy, self-taught father who has always taken on every home improvement job that needed to be done. When I got to be old enough, he would have me help too. We fixed up a few houses together over the years and he never told me that I couldn’t do something because I was a girl. He told me I could do whatever I put my mind to.

It also could be in the DNA because my grandpa (on dad’s side) was a stone mason, and apparently was one of the best in the state.

• Mary Elizabeth says

Fabulous, fabulous, and even more fabulous! It does make you look all glamorous and glowy, despite the ruined jeans.

And your readers are right–the professional tile installer who did our backsplash in the kitchen (about 20 linear feet worth) took my sketches of what I wanted (three courses of coordinated tile–one plain, one diamonds, one little square) and mulled it over for 2 hours, redrafting my sketches, measuring and marking the wall, etc. Then he went over the whole thing again with me: “What you want here is not going to work, because. . .What we can do instead is this.” That two hours were part of the 16 total hours he spent on the project. And I was the one who ran out to get more tile and grout, because I had miscalculated, so it wasn’t because he had to leave to get supplies. To do it right, even the professionals have to combine math skills and a kind of artistic vision of how that math will play out.

So I think you did well in 90 hours, even if your grout isn’t done. So good for you, girl, no matter how slow it seemed!

11. Lauryn says

Oh my, I’m exhausted just looking at all that work. Well done, Kate, well done! It looks FANTASTIC. And although I’m not sure I should admit this here, the biggest take away for me from this story is that when it comes time to repair some of the tile in our bath, I will most likely be hiring someone to do it! My excuse: as a musician I use my hands to make my living … but mostly I just don’t think I have quite the gumption, determination, and skills that Kate apparently possesses. I am extremely impressed.

12. Brenda says

WOW…What a woman!! Kudos to you…this is not something I would EVER attempt!!

I can’t wait to see the final ‘after’ pics!!

13. Robin, NV says

Holy mackerel, Kate! I mentioned that I’m capable of OCD’ing out on projects but this takes the cake. I mean that in a good way, of course!! It’s so much fun watching your project unfold.

When we pulled the range/convection oven combo out of my kitchen, we found pencil marks on the wall from an earlier tile job. I often wonder what kind of tile was there. I fantasize that it was the copper tiles you see in some mid century kitchens. I love that look.

14. Lor says

am I missing something? Why would anyone put pink ceramic tiles in their bathroom? It’s the same color I remember the original builder put in every other home on our block. Everyone had either black and pink or light yellow and black.
    My house from 95 has what they called shell which has a very light tinge of sandy pink, but nothing like what you installed.

• Kate says

Lor, I’m sure that shell is an appropriate pink for a house built in ’95. My house was built in ’62 and this shade of pink is accurate for the era of the home, plus I love this particular pink. I’m just happy that B&W tile still makes this pink tile so that I could buy it and put it into my bathroom.

• Robin, NV says

Here on RR, we’re pro ALL colored bathrooms. Pink bathrooms take center stage because 1) they’re awesome and 2) they’re the most maligned of the colored bathrooms. My Ming green bathroom gets comments like “You have a green bathroom? That’s . . . interesting.” While pink bathrooms get the “OMG, you have a PINK bathroom? Yuck!” treatment. I think for most people the reaction to a pink bathroom is knee-jerk and not at all considered. For those that genuinely don’t like pink bathrooms, that’s fine, just don’t be mean about it.

Yes, Robin, you are absolutely correct: We respect and love all vintage color bathrooms, here. But yes, we talk a lot about the pink because they are most “emblematic” of the disrespect so often directed at midcentury bathrooms — disrespect that can usually be turned around quite easily with a little history / education.

• Mary Elizabeth says

Lor, welcome to our world! It’s good to have you aboard, and I hope you hang around long enough to catch some of our–er–enthusiasms. :-) We’d love to see your 1980s-’90s shell pink bath, BTW.

15. Sara Gee says

It looks SOOOOO good! I can’t even imagine how much work went into this. And I feel like (like myself) you are probably a perfectionist, and some of those tiles took ages to line up properly!

When you are all done you should totally have a bathroom-warming party. Because this deserves a celebration. And adult beverages!

16. June Cahill says

WOW. Just WOW. What patience, persistence, perseverance! Can’t wait to see it grouted! (I know, never satisfied!;)

You da GIRL!

17. June Cahill says

btw, I once had my tile guy install 1in mosaics on my counter top. He told me he saw ‘little squares’ in his sleep!

Congratulations! It looks fabulous.

I’ve done a little tile work w/ my husband, but I’m not sure I’d have the confidence to take on as large of a job as this. I’m also extremely visual (artist), and a perfectionist to boot, so I’d probably never be finished. lol

You should be proud! Imagine the looks on peoples faces when you tell them, “I tiled this entire room myself”!

Good luck with the jean shopping. I hate shopping for clothing of any kind.

19. Jmb says

Nice work Kate, and some very good advice.

However you asked for additional tips, so here goes.

If you take the walls down to the studs, start checking things are going to be straight and plumb before putting up wallboards. These boards can be shimmed on the stud side so you don’t discover waves or odd angles once the tile is set.

I agree that the layout is the hardest part of the job, but all that forethought pays off when setting hundreds of tile and fatigue sets in.

In my case I tiled my bath surround first, walls second, sink and vanity and then lastly the floor so I would damage my floor tiles while doing the other work.

Also, when tiling a floor, I try to keep the custom cuts closest to my cabinets since I used wood base boards and quarter round trim which cover minor imperfections in my field tile.

That’s about all I can think of. Again great job!

• Kate says

Hi Jmb, thanks for the additional advice.

I did take my bathroom down to the studs, however when I made the shower bigger, there were some uneven studs in the wall that I couldn’t remove without damaging the room next door. I did my best to make the wall flat but there is still a bit of a hump there. You can’t really see it unless you know to look for it, and it drives me a little nuts, but I did my best and I think the average person will not notice it at all…

20. Barbara says

Great job and good for you to choose the color that makes you happy and suits the time period in which your house was built!

It looks absolutely beautiful with the floor tile. Wow, girl…that was a LOT of work! And I honestly don’t think that you could have done such a great job if you weren’t as detail oriented and as much of a planner as you are. I think that’s what it takes to do a great tile job. Once you get rested and the whole bathroom is done, you’ll have time to really appreciate how much you slaved away in there.

• Kate says

Thanks Eartha Kitsch — yes, slaving away sounds about right. When the rest of the world was having Labor Day picnics and BBQs, I was installing tile… I’m sure it will all be worth it in the end though, so far I LOVE my pink bathroom!

22. PF Flyer says

Nice job except I would have used a cove base where wall meets floor…easier to clean and in many commercial projects mandated by code.

• Robin, NV says

I had the same thought. That’s what I’d do if I was tiling the walls in my bathroom. But we’ll just have to wait for the next exciting chapter of Kate’s Pink Potty Adventure to see where she goes. She’s a thinker, I’m sure she’s planned everything down to the last detail – and I find that her style is spot on!

• Kate says

Cove base is much trickier to install, and I was already feeling overwhelmed with how much I had to do in there, so I skipped it. Plus, my other bathroom does not have cove base. My house told me not to do it. ;)

• Mary Elizabeth says

Don’t admit that our houses talk to us about what they want. Your new readers. like Lor, will thing we’ve all gone squirrel food.

Kate, Kate, Kate! Your bathroom is absolutely gorgeous! What a great job you guys did! And I know Leo was probably a big help! Beautiful! (And just save those jeans – I’m sure you’ll be working on another project or two in the future!).

• Kate says

Don’t worry Jan, I have a whole pile of “work jeans” for more projects. Those were pretty bad, and with that much mortar built up on them, I’m not going to attempt to wash them, so out they go…

24. Chris says

Kate and Pam — seriously, I think the two of you need to approach one of the t.v. stations, either HGTV or TLC — DIY or the History Channel (maybe best?) and have YOUR OWN SHOW!!!!!!!!
    You could be all cute and fun in your vintage clothing — you could showcase time capsule houses and EDUCATE people about how wonderful it is to love the house you’re in! You already have a guaranteed audience of loyal viewers. Maybe you could make it cool to protect our funky bathrooms and kitchens and not rip them out.

All in favor say “AYE!”

• MidCenturyMac says

I love the idea of someone hosting a show on HGTV or another network that celebrates these wonderful homes and their original features as well as a show that educates people and familiarizes them with these awesome structures and how much better it can be to cherish what we have more and run out to the Big Box stores less!!! Goodness knows I would watch it and record it as well simply for reference purposes!!!

Pam, you and Kate would be my first choice of course but anyone with a true love and appreciation of the subject matter would I’m sure, do us all proud!!! Save the Pink Bathrooms!!!!

• Chris says

Probably the best one out there now is Rehab Addict — but she focuses on Victorian era and very early 20th century homes. I’d love to see her post WWII counterpart.

But maybe Pam and Kate and the loyal following on this website will inspire someone to do that!

25. gscienechick says

Wow, it looks fabulous, but I totally understand how much work that was. That’s a lot of cuts! Luckily, you have another bathroom, so you can take your time. We only have 1.5 baths, and in the interest of time/function, we would absolutely need a pro to get our main bath done in a timely manner.

• Kate says

Yes, we are lucky to have more than one full bathroom. My last house had one bathroom that needed to be remodeled. I did a much simpler, quicker job there, with a pre made vanity, only tiling the floor and buying a fiberglass tub/shower that I had someone else install. Had to shower at a friend’s house for a few days and did the whole floor except around the toilet so I could take up the toilet, finish the floor quickly and put it back down. That was a whirlwind few weeks! I had to do a quick remodel though, since the bathroom was not usable when I bought the house and I needed to move in right away! This time, I have plenty of time on my side at least.

26. Brian T says

I redid a bathroom 18 months ago, with maybe 2/3 that amount of tile and detail. (Only I got by with a manual tile snapper and nippers — no wet saw.) My advice echoes Kate’s: Get your walls as flat and smooth as possible. Don’t assume that the adhesive will even things out, and don’t assume that imperfections won’t show because the flatness of the tile will cover them up. My only regrets: the one little spot where a tile was rocking as I put it on, and I can still see that place, though most other people would have to hunt for it. Also, on the floor, I didn’t mix the tiles from various boxes, and there is one patch where you can detect that a certain box’s dye lot was slightly off. Not a huge deal, since the pattern is variegated, but it is something I would account for if I were doing things over.

• Kate says

No tile saw? GAH! Originally I was going to do without, but then dad offered his on loan, so I thought, why not. I’m so glad I used one! Would have taken me forever to make all those cuts without (says the girl who spent 90+ hours installing tile WITH a tile saw to help). ;)

• Brian T says

In my project, the worst part was chipping off the old mastic. The original owners had used plastic tile (and had painted the borders …). The entire room’s worth of tile came off in about 15 minutes but chipping away that mastic took two weeks. It was the most boring and tedious step of any project I’ve ever done. Putting up the new tile felt like a breeze after that.

27. Cynthia says

You’re a rock star, Kate. That niche in the shower? I have one of those, too. Except mine…well, the tile guy put it in for me. And he did all the other tile in my shower, too. ;-) I have a new respect for that guy…and the utmost respect for you! Awesome job!

28. Hunter says

Hi. I’m looking to redo some plastic tile in our homes hallway. It is green plastic from the 50’s I believe. However, I need the corners which I can not find anywhere. the size is the normal 4″ by 4″ but then it goes around the corner 1″ does anyone know were I could get these?

Kate, your hard work has paid off! your beautiful pink bath is gorgeous! I am totally impressed and can’t wait to see it finished with your decorating :) Just wow – fantastic!!

30. Jay says

Ok, I disconnect from the computer and go away for several days. Of course upon my return I have to see what’s happening on the site.
    S*P*E*E*C*H*L*E*S*S !!!!