1,200 s.f. midcentury modern farm house time capsule — 1958 original condition in Mount Vernon, Wash.

mid-century-modest-ranchTour-a-Time-CapsuleMidcentury modern farmhouse perfection can be found in this 1958 time capsule house designed by notable architect Henry Klein in Mount Vernon, Wash., and listed for sale by realtor Erik Pedersen.  Yes, we’re calling this beauty a farmhouse — because wait until you see the aerial view!  This house is modern and modest at the same time: Just over 1,200 s.f.  As a rare added treat, we’ve also obtained permission to feature the floor plan of the home thanks to the folks at HKP Architects. Prepare for the full time capsule touring experience –>

mid-century-landscapingOn the outside, the home has been thoughtfully updated with fresh landscaping. Inside you’ll find most, if not all of its delightful original features intact — including a double-sided brick fireplace, light fixtures galore, original galley kitchen and a unique custom bathroom vanity.

mid century modern farm houseAnd WOW! Look at this aerial view. It’s midcentury modern way out in the country — the best of both worlds. Thanks to reader Cheryl, who pointed us in the direction of this outstanding time capsule house. And thanks for the wonderful photos from Top View by Mike.

From the listing:

• Price: $225,000
  • Year built: 1958
  • Square footage: 1,218
  • Bedrooms: 2
  • Bathrooms: 1.75

Mid Century Modern Home in Southwest Mount Vernon. 1958 classic designed by acclaimed architect Henry Klein. This well cared for example is in its original condition, with some small concessions to current standards. New F/A heat and updated energy efficient windows along with an entire new roof system complement the home. Clever and functional design features and built-ins throughout. This is a 1,200 SF, 2BD, 1.75BA layout w pleasing lines from all sides. Settled on a generous 1/2 Ac lot.

retro-galley-kitchenThe galley style kitchen packs a big punch into a modest space. (Galley kitchens are SO efficient to work in!) A special niche for the refrigerator maximizes the available floor space, while the sliding doors on the wall cabinets keep the lines of the room clean.

vintage-wall-ovenBoth the original stove/cooktop and wall oven are still present, and they sure look retrolicious.

retro-living-roomThis common room just off the kitchen is a multi-tasking space perfect for a family. Cooking, laundry and watching the kids play could all be accomplished at once in this functional space. See that skinny door on the back wall? That could be the fold out ironing board that Mike the photographer mentioned to me during our chat.

wood-ceilingThe back corner of the room also has a built-in storage area and desk — a good place to do homework, set up the computer or even work on a sewing project. That door goes to the back of the house.

mid-century-brick-fireplaceAbove… we’re still in the common room… You’ve gotta love that rounded fireplace opening — and the original chandelier looks wonderful hanging from those gorgeous wood ceilings.

built-in-sofa-retroAbove: On the other side of the fireplace is a more formal living space — complete with a built-in sofa.  The front door of the house enters into this space.

retro-bathroomOn to the bathroom, which looks to have a few updates while still retaining its vintage charm.

mid-century-vanitySaving the best for last — this L shaped vanity is any girl’s dream. Plenty of counter space, a place to sit while getting ready, a built-in cosmetics box and a mirror that makes the space feel oodles larger. We think those windows are pretty special too. It looks like the top is a fixed pane of glass and the small bottom area cranks out just enough to let in a refreshing breeze of air.

floor-plan-for-mcm-modest-home

The folks at HKP Architects – a firm founded in 1952 by well known architect Henry Klein, designer of this home — were kind enough to allow us to share this floor plan here on the blog. Getting a digital file of the plan was no easy task since the original hard copy wouldn’t fit in HKP Architect’s office scanner. Brian Poppe, partner at the firm went above and beyond for our story, going out of his way to send the plan down to the blueprint company for specialty scanning. Oh what a treat to be able to see how the rooms in this wonderfully designed home fit together. Thanks so much Brian, we really appreciate your help. Note: Click on the image twice and it will enlarge a lot.

Mega thanks are also in order to realtor Erik Pedersen for letting us feature this listing and to photographer Mike from Top View by Mike for providing us with these wonderful photos of the property.

What a lovely, lovely home!

Tips to view slide show: Click on first image… it will enlarge and you can also read my captions… move forward or back via arrows below the photo… you can start or stop at any image:

Comments

1. Janet in CT says

Marvelous house! I love the wood ceilings and the birch cabinetry the best of all! I just hope the buyer doesn’t replace those beautiful yellow countertops with granite! When I shopped for a house plan, I always checked each room to see if it worked with the furniture. Often the layouts were just not right and it was difficult to place a bed or a sofa where you wanted it. This plan appears to work well with furniture placement. One thing – I don’t think the stove with burners is old. The wall oven and the hood look appropriate, but I believe the fridge and stove were replaced in the eighties. That black glass stove door only came into vogue many years later. Chances are the original kitchen only had a cooktop and wall oven; I think about that time they were getting rid of 40″ stoves and alot of new houses had the wall ovens and cooktops. Also interesting is how putting a wall oven into a brick wall kind of off by itself was SO typical of the time. This house really has so many fascinating features and it seems to have been kept pretty much original, bless their hearts.

2. Liz M says

Ok you had me at time capsule house. Fell in love with the “Above: we’re sstill in the common room…” Picture. But built in sofa living room on the flipside! Lord have mercy that room swept me off my feet! Love!!!

I absolutely love this page and love connecting with fellow mid-mod lovers! We are a special breed lol

3. Steve H says

Beautiful, well preserved home! I think the best feature of all is the wonderful front porch. It really enhances the “farmhouse” aspect of the place.

4. Jay says

1st time for a MCM farmhouse. The proof is in the plans. The architect provided a great layout for a farm family. The day to day living is nicely separated from the formal entry/living/dining space. Probably only vacuum cleaner salesmen and sunday dinner guests rang the front door bell. That desk in the family room would be for the farm books and papers. Hope the buyer appreciates the house the way it is. A third bedroom could probably be added if necessary. Thanks for sharing the floor plan.

• Robin, NV says

Any proper farmhouse needs a mud room. One that either comes in from the garage or from the back door. It’s totally indispensible. Utility sink, shower, toilet, and a spot for hanging up jackets. Generally combined with the laundry room. From the plans, I can’t quite figure out what’s going on in the backside of the garage but I’m not seeing anything labeled “mud room” or “utility room.” Puzzling.

But I agree with Jay. Having lived in the country when I was a kid, I can attest to the fact that the “front door” was only ever used by salesmen or infrequent guests. We always used the side door into the mud room. If someone knocked on the front door or rang the doorbell, we knew it was a stranger.

Oh! And of course the house is awesome. Wish there was a closeup of the yellow countertops. I want wood paneling on my ceiling. Want.

• Rick S says

I think this house was designed around the farm family. The garage has a “Barn Clothes” closet with shelves for fruit jars. This is just outside the backdoor. There is storage for Garage tools and yard tools. The back door open onto part of the utility room floor vs carpet. You can use the laundry sink to wash up or use the bathroom or even take a shower without walking through the house. There are so many well placed windows that you can see what is going on outdoors as well as great light.
          So much house planned well.
          rick

Yes, I am pretty obsessed with this size house myself. If we could show everyone in America that living in this size space is “enough” — “desirable” even — it would solve SO MANY PROBLEMS in this nation. But now, I’m politicking….

5. Kelly Wittenauer says

Many thanks to the architect’s firm for providing the floor plan. Makes this a special treat for those of us who are plan enthusiasts!

6. pam kueber says

I am really massively IN LOVE with this house. So much in 1,200 s.f.! Including 1.75 bathrooms. I love the Asian-inspired mid century design. I love that it’s surrounded by farm fields. I love that it’s just $225,000.

I WANT TO MOVE HERE!

• Robin, NV says

You’ll want to move there even more when you realize they grow tulips there. Field after field of gorgeous tulips. Plus more bald eagles than I’ve ever seen in my life.

And about your politicking – I couldn’t agree more. If we Americans relaized that less is more, the world would be a MUCH better place. We need to get people on the “small” band wagon. Smaller cars, smaller houses, smaller waistbands.

• Robin, NV says

Self righteous proselytizing is a surefire way to turn people off to your cause. Quietly doing what you think is right has more impact – with perhaps the occasional hint at what the “small life” gains you.

• Angela says

YES!!!! My husband and I are 29 with a 5 and a 3 year old daughters. We just “downsized” from 2300 to an awesome 1400 sq. ft. 1957 ranch. We are LOVING the smaller bill and the smaller space. We just didn’t NEED those extra rooms. At this point in our lives most of our friends are upgrading to Mcmansions. We don’t see the need. Rather put the extra cash in savings …or buying MCM furniture……. ;-)

• Mary Elizabeth says

Not so fast, Pam. I think someone with a horse would gallop right past you to that special place. A tack room (or barn room) with clothes storage for barn jackets, etc. is perfect.

What strikes me most is the light colored wood in the cabinetry and ceilings and the light paint, the yellow in kitchen and bath, plus all the lovely windows, which makes the place bright and inviting and open to the outdoors. In Washington State people need all the light enhancement they can get. The double fireplace is perfect–did you notice how the hearth on the family room side is a raised shelf? You could store the firewood under that shelf, and a toddler could cruise around it without touching the fire.

Other details–a railroad kitchen with sliding cabinet doors makes perfect sense ergonomically. It makes it easy to move about the space without being impeded. (I have some permanent dents in my head from the upper cabinets in my old St. Charles kitchen.) And given the small square footage, all those storage walls in the corridor, bedroom, etc. help keep down the clutter. And I wish I had thought about a fold-down ironing board when I was adding my laundry room! I’m still trying to figure out how to manage it. Maybe I’ll hide it in the adjoining dining room.

7. Roundhouse Sarah says

The arial view really had my head spinning! I thought the freshly carved dirt was a lake at first! I really had to look closely. I was wondering why no one had a wharf or a deck! Lol.
    On the flip side- what a darling farmhouse! I love the two sided fireplace, especially the side with the built in couch, wonderful!

This is way cool! Born in Indiana farmland, I remember seeing loads of ranches replace old farmhouses (or built next the the big farmhouse for grown children), but I don’t remember anything so modern.
    I was wondering about the stove. I’ve seen a number of these “drop-in stoves” – looks like a spot was made in the cupboards and the stove was meant to be dropped in, not sitting on the floor. Was this a really popular thing (I don’t remember them as a child, but then I’m not sure I was paying attention to the stoves in my friends’ homes or on the pages of magazines). And what happened to them – did they just fade away? Was there some inherent danger to the appliance being enclosed in the cupboard (I would think not since we had and still have wall ovens)? Just wondering – seems like a cool looking appliance!

• Janet in CT says

Jan, having sold GE appliances for many years, I can tell you something about the drop-in stoves. Originally the GE stoves were 27 inches wide and were for the most part very basic and cheap models. They became a builder’s special because of the price point and I think maybe the three inches less space was attractive when planning for a smaller space where every inch counted. I believe they came out in the early to mid sixties but can’t find my books right now – been packed away and lost in space for nine years – but the colors were often turquoise and pink and yellow and we had many developments in town from that time period with the pastel appliances. Unfortunately, although GE continued to make them, the price became ridiculous because they knew many people didn’t want to hack up their cabinets and countertops to put in a more common and cheaper thirty inch model. The self-cleaning units which everyone desired were a different dimension and created alot of problems putting them in the old space. My husband installed alot of them for us and was gritting his teeth in frustation every time because they were taller, which meant cutting down the support and panel underneath or losing the drawer space there that many had, and finding something for a filler down below. I am not sure if anyone besides GE made/makes the 27 inch wide model, or if GE even makes them now. The last I knew, they only had a couple models available, where there used to be four to six of them. Those stoves had small ovens, and I think short of being cheap to start with and space saving, they were not very practical to a serious cook/baker. I don’t think anyone today would use them in a new installation unless there is a space problem, and GE can’t be selling that many of them so those models are costly for those that need them. GE and many others make the thirty inch ones which I am sure sell far better over the 27 inch ones. I think it is just that built-in look for the style in general that sells them in the larger size, and again, they cost more than the regular stoves.

• Janet in CT says

One thing I forgot to mention about drop-in stoves as opposed to free standing models is the fact that they are NOT sitting on the floor. It is not fun to pull out a stove and clean under it, and sitting on a cabinet base eliminated this chore. The animal fur, crumbs and food particles under stoves are certainly not pleasant and can attract ants and other unwanted insects. Cleaning up to a cabinet base is not nearly as hard to do.

• Robin, NV says

Wow! Thanks Janet. I’ve long suspected that my kitchen originally had a wall oven and a drop in stove top (I have a free standing range). I have a large pantry that looks like it’s had some changes made (cleverly done and nearly seamless). The middle pantry doors have marks on them that clearly indicate they were hinged differently at one time. I suspect that they were recycled from cabinets that were below the drop in stove and were used to fill the hole where the wall oven was. I secretly dream of returning everything to its original configuration but the cost doesn’t justify the aesthetic. Sigh. I’d love to have a wall oven.

9. Michele says

What an amazing little jewel of a house! I would live there in a heartbeat! What are the little “doors” under the windows in the bedroom photo? Small storage spaces, drop down window seats, or maybe drop down bedside tables? Any idea? The flow of his house is comfortable as well as all the warm wood features. What a lovely, well kept home!

hmmmm, good catch. i find it hard to believe they invaded the exterior walls with anything there… it would mean no insulation there… perhaps the agent, when they see this, can let us know!

• Kelly Wittenauer says

Hope we get an answer to this. My thought was vents along the lines of those Keck & Keck used. But don’t know why you’d have them with operable windows?

• Kate says

Just so everyone is aware — Carlie is from HKP Architects — the firm that gave us permission to show the floor plans. So there’s your answer!

10. Diane in CO says

Let it be noted what a difference hiring an Architect can make on the resulting structure! :-)

Lovely home. I was in Mt. Vernon once (we went to a nearby pumpkin farm with my kids and grandchild who were then living in Seattle). I remember it being the coolest little town. The main drag had a super diner where we had lunch and a great rugged clothing store and other nice shops…. I wonder how far this home is from town?

11. Lauryn says

There are lots of little ranch houses out in the countryside in Iowa that are still part of farmland upon which they sit; I was actually fairly amazed at home many dot the landscape outside of town. I love the juxtaposition of the midcentury feel with the barns and silos and acres upon acres of farmland. Not sure if any of them have maintained so many original features as this little gem, but my guess is they probably have (Iowans being of that pragmatic Midwest nature).

This house? My favorite parts are that bathroom … brilliant way to let in light and fresh air while maintaining privacy, not to mention all of that counter space, and the sweet little fireplace. Love how well maintained this house is!

12. Anastasia says

WOW, this is what I believe the industry calls “Move in ready” If there was ANY WAY to revamp those appliances to be Energy Star then I’d be a happy gal in that little gem.

Today’s Energy Star appliances don’t seem like they will really accomplish their goal — energy and CO2 savings — if the continuously die after 8-10 years. I tend to think old appliances are net net much better for the environment, because for the most part, they just don’t quit. All that new manufacturing is so wasteful… All this said: Requires a real deal Life Cycle Assessment to make a truly informed decision.

• Jay says

Regarding the kitchen appliances, fridges have become larger but gain their star rating through energy efficient compressors and motors. Dishwasher star ratings have come primarily from reducing the wattage of the heating element because that’s the biggest energy consumption when running a load. That’s why plastic items and mugs/glasses with indented bottoms are still holding water after the drying cycle – not hot enough. Electric stoves and ovens of yesteryear are no worse power consumption then new ones, probably better as it takes very high heat/electricity to run the self clean cycle. Maybe GE Janet can speak to this. Pam, this might be a possible post with industry weigh-in: vintage vs. new.

13. Janice says

I would move into this house and not change one stinkin’ thing! Well, maybe I would take down the puffy valances in the bedroom, but that’s it! Looking at the condition of this house proves it was well loved.

• Mary Elizabeth says

Yes, the last owner liked puffy valances–they are in every room. But even though I have chosen more tailored valances for my own ranch, I discovered while decorating that the relatively small windows in a small ranch do better with valances, swags or sheers than drapes or curtains. In the daytime, you can pull up the blinds or shades and get more light. They also carry through the feel of “less is more” that we all like about mid-century houses.

14. Scott says

WOW whatta yard! Love. Love the perfectly mowed stripes too! The bird’s eye view is magic.

Cute no-nonsense exterior but can you imagine how much more exciting it would be if the chocolate milk color was traded for pink, yellow, or mint green? The invert the dark trim to white?

Wheeeeeeeeeeeeee.

15. Rudy Hassen says

I have been following (lurking?) this site for a while and on this house, I MUST comment! Just wonderful! The intelligence, design sense and practicality of that era is perfectly stand in that picture! What a wonderful example of why so many people love the Mid Century era in general. Thank you!

16. Lisa Compo says

I just love the warmth that comes from those wood covered ceilings. Did anyone notice that the closets in the master are cedar lined? That’s another nice feature. I saw on the plans that the little closet next to the kitchen and laundry is labeled for the drop down ironing board. I would imagine it’s in there. We had one of those in our laundry room when I was growing up and they are so convenient. Built in anything is usually convenient, though. ;) Sweet little home with lovely views.

17. lynda says

Wouldn’t you just love to know the family that built this house? This just seems like such an unusual country house for 1958. I think it must have been quite contemporary looking compared to other houses being built at the time. It is a very practical and lovely home. I would have liked to have seen the furniture that was originally used in the home too. Everything is so tidy both inside and out! Great find.

• Mary Elizabeth says

I was thinking the same thing, Lynda. Were they making a fortune from growing tulips to be able to afford this architect designed house? What did their neighbors think of the house? I think although the style is MCM the architect was also echoing the older bungalow style, which in its day was the compact middle-class house. So maybe they didn’t find it too odd.

But having not too long ago been on a house-hunting expedition, my husband and I always wondered about the people who had originally built and decorated the houses.

18. Karen says

Adorable! I could tell it was in the Northwest the minute I saw the bathroom cabinetry… Nearly every midcentury house up here has that exact style with those same wide dish knobs, including mine!

19. Tania says

Lovely little house. I do like the built in desk, but it is not configured to be a good place to do needle hobbies. Sewing would require desk space to the left of the knee hole for the project to flow over the work surface from the sewing machine. I like the idea of the built in ironing board. And the kitchen is thus the cutest!

20. Col. (Retd) Anwar Khan says

A Gorgeous Little House, Beautifully Designed.
    I would love to construct one like this, at My Orange Farm, in Pakistan.