Kate’s Mamie pink master bathroom is finished — video

Kates-bathroomTwo years of planning. Six months and six days of brain-bending, back-breaking, tedious and careful work. From demo on day #1 until the final pieces were put into place, the epic journey to transform my tired old bathroom into the pretty pink potty room of my dreams has been nothing short of a renovation marathon. But here I am — having just crossed the finish line and now enjoying the spoils of victory. There will be many stories detailing all the details in the days and weeks to come. For now, take the video tour and bask in the warm “glowy” pink of my finished retro pink bathroom remodel. Can you tell I’m super excited?

Comments

1. Kristina says

This makes me so glad that the previous owners of my house did not rip out the pink, blue, and beige tiled bathrooms that were original to the house. It’s a lot of work to put that on the floor and four walls! I also have the sliding glass mirrored cabinet and 1960s light fixture. I LOVE my pink bathroom…may you enjoy yours for many years to come!

2. amypie says

I.Can’t.Even! Its sooooooo beautiful and glowy!!! Congratulations Kate on a magnificent job! I am ridiculously jealous ;)

3. Ann says

Love it! I live in a MCM hi-rise and am working on bringing my unit back to as much MCM as I can afford to do. The building has some pink, blue, green, and yellow bathrooms. Mine unfortunately were redone but they at least stayed with yellow and blue.

4. Scott says

Just loverly! Earlier posts above answered my question about the cabinet, it’s very cool, and probably a bit rare for it to be so roomy, most vintage cabinets tend towards the dinky. I’d say it’s a keeper.

Coordinating the different styles and sizes of chrome accessories was a really creative solution and adds a lot of personality.

Looking foward to hearing more in-depth details about your journey to pretty pink pottyness.

5. Lauryn says

Bravo, bravo, bravo!! It looks AWESOME and it’s amazing you did all that work yourself. I absolutely adore how it looks and all the beautiful touches in it, but honestly, I think my favorite part is how perfectly the closet door just clears the towel rack! With a ridiculously small bathroom in our house (a closet would be a laughable and impossible dream it’s so small), I know how every inch counts, and I think that kind of exceptional planning shows truly superior design skills. Congrats, Kate, you rock!!!

• Kate says

Thanks Lauryn! I planned this remodel for about 2 years before I took the plunge. It was well worth it to spend all that time thinking, planning, measuring, etc. :)

6. Janice says

Your bathroom is lovely Kate! You did a fabulous job and I’m impressed with your carpentry talents! It may have taken you 6 months and 6 days but it was totally worth it. I’m about to embark on a bathroom remodel myself right after the holidays so I am about to feel your pain!

7. duki says

Absolutely breathtaking, Kate!
    You should be quite proud of the superb job you’ve done.

Just peachy! (Or in this case, pinky!)

I hope you don’t mind me asking a question. I noticed that you don’t have a toilet paper holder. Did you decide against one? Are the ceramic ones that insert/set into the walls no longer made?

• Kate says

Thanks duki — I do want a TP holder but didn’t go the recessed/ceramic route. I was hoping to get a vintage starburst one to match my towel holders, but alas, I have not been able to find/purchase one yet. I’m giving it a while to see if one surfaces before I look for an alternative.

8. Cole says

Wow, so excited for you! So wonderful to know everything in there is super modern, beautiful and clean!

(As I watched this, I thought “I’m the only man in America this excited by this bathroom.” LOL)

• Kate says

Cole, you are not the only man in America excited about this bathroom — my husband LOVES the bathroom — especially the large shower!

Kate, your bathroom is amazing, and I am blown away by your attention to detail. I am curious what you did with the original bathroom materials… were any salvageable to sell or donate?

• Kate says

Thanks Amber! Yes, I saved, reused and donated (to my local ReStore) as much as possible. I’ll have more info about that in a later post. :)

10. AH says

Kate-
    What tool do you use to put your wish boards together? I have a remodeling project I want to do, and I need to create one of those. Photoshop lite? Thanks.