DIY Putz house #6 — 1940s “Tom Thumb” Cape Cod Putz house — free downloadable pattern

tom-thumb-vintage-putz-houseWith so many readers ohhh-ing and ahhh-ing over the 740 s.f. “Tom Thumb” Cape Cod American dream house that we recently featured, it made sense to offer a similarly styled Putz pattern. Since all five of my other Putz patterns are modeled after homes from the 1950s-1970s, throwing in some 1940s action also is a fun way to mix up the “neighborhood.” Put a sharp blade on your X-acto knife, because you’ll need it to cut out all the tiny window panes on this adorable cottage.

retro-vintage-christmas-houseThe white picket fence really makes the front yard. Thankfully, I found it ready-made at Michael’s, though I suspect if you had a steady hand and a lot of time, you could fashion one yourself out of cardstock or paper from a cereal box.

vintage-cape-cod-putz-houseSee all those window panes? They are cut out one by one. With 12 panes per window, six windows and one, four-pane door, that’s 76 small squares to cut. It takes time and dedication, but the windows are what really make this house design. If you don’t feel that skilled (or patient) with the X-acto knife, cutting out the front two windows and painting the panes in the rest of the home would look fine, too.

1930s-putz-house-vintageAnother meticulous detail on this design — two tiny window boxes filled with snow. It is easiest to put these on the house while it is still flat, before assembly. Again, if this detail proves to be too difficult, the window boxes can  be painted on the house instead, although I think this three-dimension detail is really worth the extra effort.

vintage-putz-tom-thumb-house

Click here to download Kate’s free Putz house pattern

Make a whole neighborhood of mid century “Putz” style houses:

Comments

1. Morag says

Thanks so much. I love the 1940s vibe best of all and have been missing hearing quite so much about it lately, though I do enjoy your explorations of the 50s thru 70s too.

Will make this pattern asap and note on the bottom that you and RR were the pattern source. For future generations to be able to trace the origins, don’t you know.

2. Anne-Marie Cory says

Ah! I have been waiting to see if you were going to do one of these this year! This one is a charmer! Thanks for sharing.

Anne-Marie, Kate has done three this year (that’s it for this year) – Check them all out at the bottom of the story!

3. Robin, NV says

Aww, so cute. Love the little snow filled planter boxes. It really needs an itty bitty federal eagle over the front door.

Have you made one with clerestory windows yet? Now that would be a challenge!

4. Jay says

Wow, this one really does evoke the cardboard putz houses of yore with the bottlebrush trees and the glittery snow on the roof. I’ll take a half dozen of these, thanks!

5. tammyCA says

So cute! I know how hard it is to cut the tiny square windows, I did that on mine last year. I even searched for a hole punch that would make it easier and nothing like that to be found.
    I’m a ’40s lover so if I could shrink myself teeny, tiny this one and the storybook house would be my little home…but, I love them all & intend to make some soon (after I finish my other crafty projects).

6. Jeanne says

Getting ready to modify this pattern and create my annual Putz! My boyfriend has a cabin in the woods in the Upper Peninsula (built in 1957) and I’m going to modify this pattern to look like his cabin. 🙂

• Kate says

Awesome Jeanne! Glad you are enjoying the Putz patterns…stay tuned — I just finished making three more for this year! 🙂