Vintage Stanley Furniture Mix ‘n Match line by H. Paul Browning — 11 page catalog

vintage-stanley-dining-room-set-mix-n-matchUp next in our continuing series of vintage Stanley Furniture catalogs that the company has scanned and provided especially for Retro Renovation readers: An 11-page catalog of the company’s Mix ‘n Match line. Like the American Forum line, this Mix ‘n Match line was designed by H. Paul Browning. No date on the catalog, but it appears to be early- to mid-1960s. The furniture is finished with walnut veneers and the tabletops are laminated plastic to match.

stanley furniture mix and matchThe catalog says this was “one of America’s most widely accepted design (sic).” Yes, I bet its simple lines and medium grain color proved popular with Mrs. America, who may have been concerned about investing in something too over-the-top moder.  Note the glamour shot (above), which juxtaposes a Mix ‘n Match dining room set with a wrought-iron dressed door: Mix ‘n Match the modern and the early American? Yes, ma’am, you do it! Many thanks to Stanley Furniture for providing these wonderful archival materials!

Stanley Furniture Mix ‘n Match line catalog:

Tips to use the slide show: Click on any thumbnail, and it will enlarge… move forward or back via the arrows under each photo… you can start or stop at any image.

Comments

1. Gina B. says

I have a dining table, chairs and hutch from what I believe is this set, but I do not see it in the catalog. The oval table has a hidden, folded leaf in the middle that is revealed when you pull the two ends apart. Best part is, it was left in the house my friend’s in-law’s purchased recently. They were going to donate it to Goodwill, but asked if I might be interested first, so I got it for free as long as I hauled it away :)

2. Robin, NV says

I meant to mention that I love how the catalog mixes colonial Americana with mid mod. That’s SO mid century to me. If they’d put some pewter cups and plates in the hutch, it would have been perfect. We 21st century enthusiasts tend to focus on the Danish modern look and forget that Mrs America often added patriotic/nostalgic touches to her decor. :)

3. spudboy says

We have the hutch with glass doors and it sits proudly in our dining room!

The bottom section holds my wife’s great aunt’s china set and the top shelves hold my small selection of Holt Howard Pixieware and my ever-growing collection of “Stinky Cheese” containers (Google them, they are a real thing!)

4. Cheryl says

I really wish I could find one of the larger Stanley sideboards from this era, to match/blend with my china cabinet. Anyone? Buehler?

5. Joe Felice says

Is this the same company that brought us Stanley Home Products? Remember all the things that were sold door-to-door?

6. meesh says

Thanks so much for posting all the images from the catalog. I’d love to get my hands on the dining table and chairs that match our mix ‘n match china hutch. At least now i know what i’m looking for when i’m poking around in shops and on craigslist :-)

I bought a bed with rails and head board. No name on bed but Willwtt name on inside of one of the rails. That fails didn’t fir perfectly and we had to have a little work done on them so they would fit right. I wonder if the bed could be a Willet and why the rails didn’t fit right?