Midcentury modern front door escutcheons — 2 reproductions from Liz’s Antique Hardware

mid-century-escutcheons

Today — a new discovery — two retro style escutcheons available exclusively from Liz’s Antique Hardware. We already know that Rejuvenation offers midcentury modern style door backplates in starburst designs, a Brutalist doorplate and several minimalist geometric options. With these newly discovered options from Liz’s Antique Hardware, our count for retro door escutcheons on the market today not comes to eight — plus Roundhouse Sarah explained how she made one DIY.  Let’s take a closer look at Liz’s designs…

1950s-door-escutcheon

Each style is cast in brass and available in three metal finishes, chrome, polished chrome and satin bronze. The sputnik design above measures a whopping 11″ tall and 8.5″ wide. It retails for $145.mid-century-escutcheon-reproduction door-escutcheon-retro-60s midcentury-modern-escutcheon

The starburst design is 7″ high and 3.5″ wide. It sells for $95. I contacted Liz’s Antique Hardware to ask why they started manufacturing these reproductions, and to ask if they fit most modern door sets. Terri, who is in charge of the company’s reproduction hardware sales, replied:

Thanks for asking about our reproduction mid-century door plates. We sell vintage hardware circa 1850 to 1970, as well as reproduction and contemporary hardware, and about ten years ago our customers began asking for mid-century door hardware. We had trouble finding original mid-century oversized door plates, so we decided to manufacture our own line. These pieces are designed to fit most Schlage and Kwikset knobs.

retro-starburst-doorplate mid-century-starburst-door-plate

Its great to have so many options, isn’t it? Thanks, Liz’s Antique Hardware, for bringing these to market!

Comments

1. Janet in CT says

These are fantastic and surely I am going to get one! Always great to see what is turning up on Retrorenovation!

2. Laurie Louise says

Thanks for sharing this find, Pam. FYI, the bronze-finish starburst escutcheon looks exactly like the one on the inside of the front door of our new 1961 (mostly) time capsule.

• Laurie Louise says

My apologies, Kate! I didn’t read the attribution before commenting. Thanks for a great resource!

3. Mary Elizabeth says

These are like little works of art, aren’t they? I especially like the more matte chrome finish. After Laurie Louise’s comment, I now wonder if they are meant for the inside of the front door or the outside.

• Allen says

Most houses you see them on the outside. They can certainly be used on the inside doors as well but these were extra expense to the homeowner and only those with extra to spend would have done this.

4. Paula Webb says

I would highly recommend Liz’s. They have wonderful stuff (both new and used). Their website does a great job of featuring their reproduction items, but that doesn’t even begin to cover the salvage items they carry. If you have something specific that you are looking for you can email them pictures and they will see what they have (I have never seen so many wrought iron wall sconces in my life!)

5. Sandra says

At 8.5″ wide, I guess you need a centered doorknob or one that is further from the edge of the door.

The narrower one might work on my door, but I wonder if it will look funny.

6. Scott says

That chrome plated starburst/gun sight is breathtakingly beautiful. Sadly its too wide to fit on any of my interior or exterior doors. However I’m so instantly obsessed with it I may need to find some other way to use one. Wow.

• Mary Elizabeth says

Scott, I have been thinking for a couple of days on this. If you collected a few of the escutcheons and couldn’t fit them on your doors, you could install a mirror in the center of each one, glue one of those command hooks on the back and hang them on the wall as a group. What do you think, people?

7. Randerson says

Cool designs, but crazy pricey!
    Being a strictly decorative item, ultimate quality might be, to some, of somewhat less importance than, say a functioning mechanical part, and guaranteed, these could easily be made overseas and sold for 1/3 that or less in cast brass, or for well under $10, if in stamped and brass or chrome plated steel, which is what many door handles are made of anyway! $100+ is a heckuva lot for more and more folks these days, especially for a non-essential item. And while we all prefer to see things US made, this is one of the reasons why some jobs have disappeared. Maybe they, or someone else, could introduce an affordable line of MCM door hardware? Seems like a good opportunity for someone.