New Old Stock Virden lighting at great prices

address-light-boxSaturday morning update: More added: Seriously, peoples, get thee all over these –> NOS vintage Virden (and other brand) porch lights, sconces, hall lights — I bought an “Address-Lite” — and more on ebay (*affiliate link). There are many in multiples. And there even more. Photos used with permission — thanks, Dave!

virden-porch-lightvintage-virden-sconcevirden-bathroom-lightvintage-virden-sconcevirden-black-sconcevirden-black-sconce-boxvirden-ceiling-lightAddress Light

address-light address-light-box address-light-vintageI bought it!

Comments

• Andrew says

I bought 2 of those porch lights on ebay several years ago. They were in rough shape so I stripped the paint off of them and repainted them hammered black (the metal had corroded a bit). The brass straps were broken, so I fabricated new stainless straps from duct clamps and affixed them with the original knurled brass knobs, which I left patinated to avoid bringing in a jarring bright brass note that would have clashed with the new black and silver color scheme. I also rewired them while I was at it. They’re on either side of my garage door and look exactly right!

1. Scott says

This was a GREAT find and I appreciate you pointing these out however I do have to kvetch a little about the seller. No reflection on you of course but kind of flustering.

He said in the listings he discarded the boxes (!!!) which to me is sad. Half the beauty of NOS, besides getting a new item, is the entire experience of getting something just like it was back in the day. And yes, possibly a bit crackers but I do actually keep those boxes. as they can be fascinating, informative, beautiful, or all of the above.

I asked if he actually got rid of them, as I at least would want the label portion of the box with the style info, picture, and cool graphics. I also did not see the knob to hold the glass shade on either and asked to be sure that was in the parts envelope.

He never bothered replying and eventually the item sold just after 1pm. I hope whoever gets the fixture isn’t disappointed about the box and does indeed get all the parts. Sigh.

2. Robin says

I have 3 of the glass shades in the 2nd and 4th photos above. Now I know what the base is supposed to be. Wonder if I can find just the base anywhere.

3. Caryn says

My little 1957 Minimal Traditional house has some of these fixtures, original (or very close); I’ve got the ceiling light still in my hall, and one of the wall sconce sets over the fireplace mantel, but with frosted glass shades. I’ve dithered for years over replacing them with more Atomic Age-style fixtures, but never bring myself to do it.

• Scott says

These are about as modest as it gets but I had to have one when I re-did my bathroom last year. I bought a vintage starburst one as it didn’t even occur to me to look to see if new ones are being made.

Sometimes these newer bases won’t mate up to vintage shades, but if this did it would be great to have a base that fit modern appliances and still have a vintage glass globe. Or turtle, love that name, pretty sure I will be referring to mine as a turtle from now on. 🙂

Just the posts? These should be easily available at lighting stores. For the light — watch this space, this seller has listed a variety over the past few months and may have more.

4. John says

Hi Pam,

I just bought me SP-7006 for my front porch. I have other lights in my home with the same style of shade that has the alternating stripes.

John aka AtomicHipster