Our first-ever The Hard Way Lifetime Achievement Award — to Mike and Lindsey

the hard wayHard-way-award-Mike and Lindsey, did you think that we forgot you, when we announced the our The Hard Way Awards for 2014 Kitchen Remodel and Bathroom Remodel? No way! We saved you up so that we can honor you with our first-ever Retro Renovation The Hard Way Award – for Lifetime Achievement. Longtime readers will of course recognize Mike and Lindsay, they are avid mid-century enthusiasts — and they have spent a lot of time contributing to this blog… to this community, via their remodeling projects since 2012.

Renovating their 1964 Edward Durell Stone “House of Good Taste”

House of Good tasteTruly epic, in 2014 they purchased and renovated a 1964 Edward Durell Stone “House of Good Taste.”

Some photos from that project… which included restoring original terrazzo flooring in the living room and dining room… installing poured concrete floors in adjacent spaces… gut-remodeling the kitchen… and creating gorgeous wood doors and shelving:

terrazzo-floor-before-refinishterrazzo-flooringmidcentury-mod-hallwaymidcentury-retro-kitchenMidcentury-modern-kitchenmidcentury-modern-bedroom

midcentury-kids-bedroom

Gentle remodels to two 1949 pink bathrooms

Mike and Lindsey have been with us since 2012, thought. They were first bit by the bug — by pink bathrooms, of course!

decorate pink bathroom

retro-remodeled-pink-and-grey-bathroom

No pressure, Mike and Lindsey, but what’s next? Ummmm…. maybe just simply enjoying the new/1964 house? Yes!

Congratulation and thank you again, for all your generous contributions to the blog! xoxo

Comments

1. Andi says

Congratulations, Mike & Lindsey!

Your entire house is breathtakingly beautiful—a perfect marriage of loving, expert restoration and decorating that is just fabulous. Everything is perfectly suited to the space. I love every decision you made and just wish I could see it in person!

I agree with Pam—relax and enjoy this lovely jewel you have created!

2. Jay says

I didn’t think l’ll olde Pam would slight the folks that contributed this past year’s best reno series. It was like a Saturday matinee, everyone looked forward to the next installment.

3. Laurie Louise says

Oh, my goodness…this brought tears to my eyes. So well deserved! Mike and Lindsay, you have contributed so much to our little retro-loving community by sharing your projects, especially your House of Good Taste. So much care, thought and love–now it’s a House of Fabulous Taste! Congrats!

Thanks, P and K for pulling out all the stops on this one!

4. Mike and Lindsey says

WOW… we are shocked and so very honored to get Pam’s special recognition like this.

Honestly, did not think twice about the other Hard Way
    Awards for 2014. We took up enough of RR bandwidth, we figured readers were a bit sick of us.

We are indeed loving the home, and still look around sometimes and say “wow, we get to live here”??!! But of course we can’t sit still for too long and are starting on one of the bathrooms next month 🙂

5. Lynne says

Mike and Lindsey, can you tell me the maker of your awesome grey sofa (the one with the metal sculpture over it) and yellow-ish chairs?
    Thanks!

• Mike and Lindsey says

Lynne

They are all vintage pieces. The couch I can not be 100% sure as it is not marked, but very probable that it is Dux. Actually, almost certain it is a Dux sofa

The chairs I do know for sure, they are made by Nemschoff, designed by Lawrence Peabody.

6. Carol says

Mike and Lindsay, we could never, never get sick of your posts. Are you kidding? We eagerly waited for your next updates. Thank you so much for sharing. I personally wish you guys would do this for a living so I would have even more eye candy than I already get here. But that’s just me being selfish. Congratulations and well done seems like an understatement. Thank You.

7. Kit says

Breathtaking and bravo! It is stunning and no words can really fit for the work that must have gone into your work of art! At 60 and 63, my husband know we will not achieve anything close to as stunning as weve ‘puttered’ in our mid century downsized for the last year. We are opting instead to shine the vintage up as it is, refinish the floors and paint. But what you have created is a dream! Congratulations!!!!

8. Bronwyn J. says

Great job!! I’m always so impressed with people’s creative minds and abilities to visualize a new space. I especially love the rug in that first entryway (?) shot. Also–I recognize those giraffe prints from Pete and Trudy Campbell’s NYC apartment!

9. Marie says

Mike and Lindsey… Cheers to a job exceptionally well done!!! So, so, gorgeous. Love to live vicariously through others beautiful mid-mods!!

10. Mary Elizabeth says

Congratulations to Mike and Lindsey. Nobody deserves this more than they do, and how clever of Pam to think up a special award for those that go beyond restoring a bathroom or kitchen. Nice job all around!

11. Janice says

I was lucky enough to tour your lovely home in an architectural tour a few weeks ago with my best friend Peggy. We love knowing that we got to see this beautiful gem up close and personal. You did a wonderful job! Congratulations. I hope you enjoy living here for many years!