Andy Harman – The Owl

the-owl-andy-harmonOh my word. This makes me so happy just to live in this world.

andy-harman-the-owl

It’s “The Owl” by artist Andy Harman.

I first saw one of these majestic macrame owls in this Architectural Digest slide show about Jonathan Adler’s groovalicious Shelter Island pad.

macrame-owlsI love Andy Harman’s owls. Their zygotes are easier to come by, though. Remember Troy’s collection? I have some now, too — three coordinating macrame owls, with their original Raymor tags. You know I gotta do it: What a hoot!

Comments

1. Karen S says

I made a macramé owl for my mom in the 70’s. I was in my teens. It hung in my parents house for many, many years. I remember it looking very similar to the owl on the far right in the picture above. It’s the only macramé I remember doing.

2. Dyan says

We also had these owls when I was a kid. I recently bought a vintage macramé book at a thrift store and eventually I’ll be making one for myself. Mine won’t be quite as large as this one.

3. Elizabee says

I’m sorry, but the size of that freaks me out! Yikes! My mom still proudly displays the macrame owl I made in the late 70s.

4. vegebrarian says

Love this!

I’ve never tried macrame – but I have a book with instructions for a skeleton that I really want to make!

Oh my gosh! That has to be the biggest macramé owl I’ve ever seen! I made a few macramé wall-hangings way back when, including one lone owl, but never even close to that size! Is it going to hang off the side of a building or something? Very cool!

It’s part of a limited collection — a number were made and sold. Be sure to click on the link to see Jonathan Adler’s apartment and how he hung the owl — fantastic!

6. June Cahill says

Well – never made Macramé owls, however, my mother did some fabulous wall hangings/art using burlap panels. I still have one of those hanging in my vacation condo – avocado green/orange/brown burlap – goes great with the original orange counters!

Isn’t Adler’s home just ‘all that’? – Wow! the tile, and the GORGEOUS way the Macramé owl is displayed – being draped over the floating hearth – and I’ve always wanted a couple of those hanging bamboo chairs suspended around my living room! Viva da KITSCH!!!

7. virginia says

Definitely gorgeous textile art. My only thing would be having to take industrial fans to it every so often because the dust accumulation would be off the chain. Beautiful though. I love JA — fabrics and ceramics.

8. tammyCA says

Oh, the giant owl is too cool. 🙂 I found a much smaller version last year at the thrift store..I hang it for Fall decoration. Never made an owl but I did make macrame plant hangers back then (didn’t everybody?). I’d like to make them again with colorful beads but I need a booklet as I can’t remember how.

To this day, whenever I hear the song Brandy by Looking Glass I think back to standing in front of my bedroom closet door with my macrame hooked over the top and knotting away.

10. Penne says

It seemed like macrame owls were everyone’s project in 4H crafts one year. I remember bunches of them on display at our county fair. Our project leader provided the jute twine and beads for the eyes, but we all had to find a good “branch” for our owl to perch on. Some kids brought great thick “logs” and some skinny twigs, but they all worked.

11. Jackie says

Brings back fond memories. There wasn’t a 70s craft my mom and I didn’t try. Sadly, mom had to give up macrame because she discovered she’s allergic to jute!!! That little 70s life moment is joined by one other notable one–the day she sprained her ankle by falling off her clogs at a Tom Jones concert. Ahh, memories….

12. Mary Elizabeth says

I made a couple of plant hangers, but that’s it. I loved looking at the real artists’ macrame hangings, though.

13. Karin says

Fantastic! The scale and execution takes it to another level. This looks a lot like an Ookpik. They were creepy/cute little fuzzy snowy owl souvenirs made by Inuit craftspeople in northern Canada. They became a national craze in Canada, and were used at Canadian expositions as a symbol of Canada.

14. Susie Q. says

The owl looks incredible in Jonathan Adler’s pad. I bet cats would have a heyday with that thing–scratching it, climbing on it, LOL.

15. Grama Robin says

My mom had a craft shop in the 1970s, when she was in her early 60s. Geez, that’s how old I am now. Anyway, it was called The Macramé Lady, because that’s what people called her, and she made many an owl, belt, purse, plant hanging, and even some Santas (still have one). I also have the large freeform macramé piece she did and won 1st place for at the local fair. It’s rolled up in a closet waiting for one of the kids (or grandkids) to go all 70s retro and want it. My dad used to say she could take thin air and tie knots around it to make art!

16. Joe Felice says

I remember when jute macrame was all the rage in the ’70s. Every house had at-least-one macrame owl (and probably a matching plant hanger). My mom even got into it, and she was pretty-darned good, too. I think the owl macrame was the ’70s iconic version of the crouching panther of the ’50s. When you see something like this, it just immediately takes your mind back.

17. Karen Collins says

That owl is awesome! And as always, Pam, your comments make me smile 🙂
    My mom used to make macrame hanging plant holders. I remember for the tassel, we would wrap the yarn ’round and ’round an album cover and then she would cut it. Also, my sister and I would stand at the end of the hallway holding the yarn while she twisted it and did her thing! …loved being a kid in the 70’s!!

18. Stogie7 says

My parents had the loden green macrame owl I made for them in the 79s hanging in their bathroom for decades. I took it down in 2011 when we sold their house! I still have my macrame witch for Halloween, Santa (long with pockets for cards and black boot feet), plus the “heads” – leprechaun, Pilgrim, Christmas elf, and Easter bunny. The bunny had big pink bead eyes that still freaks my daughter out. I made a second one for my mother, which I now have, so I always threaten to donate one to her!