A flamboyance of flamingos all across the world: In honor of Don Featherstone

pink-flamingosDid you know that a flock of flamingos is actually called a “flamboyance”? So perfect! Earlier this week, the designer of the iconic, beloved, midcentury flamingo lawn ornaments — Don Featherstone — died. He was 79. The tributes are already pouring in. His hometown newspaper, the Fitchburg (Mass.) Sentinel & Enterprise wrote a lovely, lovely story.  The New York Times put his story on the front page. Rest in serene peace, Don Featherstone.

For the past several days, since I learned this sad news, I thought about what to do and finally hit on: What better way to honor Don Featherstone and the joy that he has brought to the world via these happy flamingos than by showing photos of how they continue to grace our homes, our lives. So we put the uploader on and collected photos. It’s now closed, but let’s take a look at readers’ flamboyance!

Tips to view slide show: Click on first image… it will enlarge and you can also read any captions… move forward or back via arrows below the photo… you can start or stop at any image:

Comments

1. Mary Elizabeth says

A Bird Note: Remember, keep your flamingos bright pink by feeding them shrimp! Otherwise, they will get all white and sad looking.

2. Brenda says

I love seeing all these flamingos! (Hoping my pics show up soon…one of them will stand out from the rest. He is blue. lol)

3. Grama Robin says

Thanks for the cool remembrance! We just got back from a vintage trailer show at a car museum, that was dedicated to Featherstone. Flamingos in attendance included yellow and blue, to match their trailers!

4. Joe Felice says

You mean the designer wasn’t Italian?????????? How did that happen? And why do Italians love flamingos so much? It’s almost a cultural thing, like the lady f Guadalupe is for Mexicans.

5. Scott says

Although the occasion for the uploader is bittersweet, it was the perfect incentive to finally get my flamingos and gazing ball and vintage bird bath base installed.

Thanks Pam for the great tribute and the call to action 😉

6. David in Marietta says

Was not able to get to the up loader in time but I will say that with flamingos your house always seems to be instantly recognizable. I usually get ” is yours the house with the pink flamingos”? Or when I give directions it usually includes the flamingos. Not known anyone that does not like mine. My flock usually expands or contracts depending on my new finds or weeding out the old discolored cracked ones. I try to keep mine in the shade as the Georgia sun fades them ending in a shorter life.

7. Eleanor says

***Rest In Peace Mr. Featherstone*** He was a great artist! And reading his biography, he sounded like a sweet, kind hearted, humble man. My condolences to his family and friends.

Everyone’s pink flamingo photos look great!

8. margaret donohue says

I don’t think I see my photo…is it possible it did not make the cut or I did it wrong? I am not super tech savvy most days…..but in any event, I enjoyed the photo’s….

9. Scott says

Just a tip for anyone out there prone to hoarding or who finds happiness in having lots of flamingos, the prices on the authentic Union Products Original Featherstone Flamingos sometimes drops to under $10.00 on Amazon. When they do drop it usually doesn’t last long so don’t dawdle (like I did) or it may be several weeks before it happens again. Saving a set to your cart for later is a good way to keep track of them. Additionally shipping is generally a better buy on multiple sets, the two sets I just ordered ship for the same price as one would have.