We like this vintage style ceiling light fixture — Odessa from Hudson Valley Lighting

odessa-lightA nicely designed ceiling light fixture — especially one with retro-vintage style — is hard to find. Working on an upcoming story, Kate and I stumbled into this Odessa ceiling light by Hudson Valley Lighting — and we both were impressed.

odessa-light-hudson-valley-lightingThe Odessa has a pre-war vintage feel — with an interesting, two-piece glass shade that should get lots of diffused light shining out and down from your ceiling. Hudson Valley Lighting describes the shade as “a multi-faceted shade of glossy, mouth-blown opal triplex glass and a prismatic down-light diffuser.” And the metal trim — available in four finishes — give this ceiling light a bit more pizzazz than a plainer schoolhouse light.

Note, these lights are not cheap. But: They are made in the USA, and Hudson Valley Lighting seems to be positioning themselves as focused on quality. Indeed, I have put Hudson Valley Lighting ceiling fixtures in our two bedrooms about 10 years ago. I chose them for the quality of their glass shades — they are really  nice! (Alas, now discontinued.)

Where to use this Odessa lighting:

We see this design as having decidedly vintage prewar deco styling.

We’d put it in any kitchen with deco lines… in kitchens that want to play up their 1930s, 1940s or early 1950s sweetness… and in the same style mudrooms, laundry rooms or kitchens with relatively low ceilings that need more light.

We like both the antique brass and satin nickel finishes. Aged looking.

The medium-sized Odessa holds two 60-watt bulbs… it’s 13.5″ wide by 6.5″ high. There’s a smaller, one-bulb version and a larger, three-bulb version. The small version may be good for a hall or small mudroom… but the big one, well, it sounds too big for our houses.

odessa-semi-flushodessa-pendantOh, and if you want a pendant (we like it!) — or a semi-flush (not our favorite but still nice) to match, there are three sizes of each of those, too!

Comments

1. Mary Elizabeth says

Good morning! I love this light and would snap it up for my foyer/mud room in a second to replace the “boob light”–the last in my home to be replaced. However, the new low-energy florescent bulbs cannot be used in enclosed spaces (too hot). The new, cool LED bulbs would perhaps work, according to former licensed contractor DH, but their life could be cut in half. As Pam says, check with your own licensed person, in this case an electrician, before installing.

Good questions/points, Mary Elizabeth. I have put an email question into the company about this. I’ll update the story if/when I hear back from them.

I also emailed them to ask whether these were made in the USA.

• Jay says

Interesting! I wonder if they are referring to a clothes or utility closet which are typically small and have no ventilation. I would think living spaces that are occupied and have heat/cooling would be ok.

• la573 says

Regarding LED light bulb retrofits – it varies depending on the bulb you use. Some specifically allow use in completely enclosed fixtures (several Cree and Feit/Costco bulbs, with the stipulation that you don’t combine them with non-LEDs or LEDS from other manufacturers. Most others require vented shades and/or no exposure to water. The enclosable LED bulbs may let you get more brightness out of these fixtures than you could have with incandescents, since 20W LEDs are as bright as the 100w incandecents you can’t use. As always with LEDs, pay attention to CRI, high R values (for red light reproduction, an LED sore point), and color temperature (2,700K approximates the warmth of incandescent light). Done right, you get retro looks, modern efficiency and infreqent bulb changes.

2. Robin, NV says

Oh my goodness! This is great. Any idea if you can still get the ceiling lights with the square diffusers? I’m sure any Restore will have a few but does anyone make them new anymore?

3. Jay says

This fixture does have a nice vintage feel to it. I recall seeing an ad or reference to this company in AD magazine I was looking at in the doctors office so I figured the fixtures would not be inexpensive. At the time I checked out their product lines I thought the offerings too contemporary for a modest ranch. Looking forward to the post this story is tied to.

Yes, most of their lighting is quite contemporary. They were nicely done designs, though, which got me to looking through their entire portfolio. There are very few lights that are “good for us” and this was one of them. In their marketing blurb, they tie it to early 20th century industrial — a popular contemporary look today, hence, I think, they designed the series.

4. Carolyn says

You know, sometimes you gotta ask yourself if something “too pricey” is an investment that will strike that “just right” chord, or if you really want to wait til something vintage finds you, or go the cheap route.
    For argument’s sake we’ll use $129 for the price – if you stay in your house for a decade and this fixture brings you joy, it’s only $13 over the 10 years.
    And if you come across something better – sell these and put it towards your new purchase.

5. Linda says

Yikes! They’re NOT cheap! In cases like this, it’s VERY good to break it down to a per year cost of happiness! LOL! So, yes, I AM considering getting one for my master bath. My currant one is actually rusting through the paint that I used to cover the brass. Thanks for sharing the info! (Actually being made in the USA make EVERYTHING good!) XO

Shop around… wait for sales… that might help a bit!

Like: Even wait til Black Friday — ummm, not too far away now!