The 1964 GE Americana refrigerator-freezer

General Electric Americana refrigeratorThanks, Mom! Here’s a fantastic fridge woddity — a GE Americana refrigerator freezer for sale in Louisville, Kentucky, spotted by Pam’s Mom. This fridge-on-top, freezer-on-bottom beauty has an ingenious built-in countertop area. It’s even covered in sparkle laminate. We suspect: It was made in Louisville, longtime home to GE Appliances.

General Electric Americana refrigerator

From the Craigslist post:

Vintage GE Americana Refrigerator
1964-1965
From what I have read, it was on display at the New York World’s Fair in 1964. Very cool looking refrigerator in great condition! French doors on top with bottom freezer & ice maker. Has countertop with a light and outlet. Everything works! Have the manual, warranty card and schematics. Local pick up only.

General Electric Americana refrigerator General Electric Americana refrigerator General Electric Americana refrigeratorHere’s a close up of the built-in countertop with electrical plug — do you see what I see? The countertop appears to be a slightly crazed (but aren’t we all) sparkle laminate.

General Electric Americana refrigerator General Electric Americana refrigeratorGotta love those cool details on the inside of the refrigerator too — from the text on the cheese and butter compartments to the decorative pattern on the metal shelves.

General Electric Americana refrigerator General Electric Americana refrigerator General Electric Americana refrigerator General Electric Americana refrigeratorThere’s even a decorative snowflake pattern in the freezer.

General Electric Americana refrigeratorThe refrigerator comes with the original literature too, including this numbered diagram. Very neat!

General Electric Americana refrigerator General Electric Americana refrigerator General Electric Americana refrigerator General Electric Americana refrigeratorThere’s even an original warranty card.

vintage GE refrigeratorThe GE American appears to be a less complex version of the circa-1957 GE Refrigeration Center — a behemoth of American engineering, to be sure.

wall refrigeratorAnd of course, don’t forget the famous GE wall refrigerator-freezer, the design we see most frequently in vintage homes.

Mega thanks to craigslist seller Cindy for letting us feature this fantastic vintage refrigerator.

Check out the craigslist posting — any buyers?? — here:

Comments

• Justin says

G.E. had an Americana range to match with the fridge. It had the oven above. The range was more popular than the fridge was and lasted for quite a few years.

• Justin says

Part of the problem is the refrigerator has only limited space. It isn’t real deep either. That and the ice maker in the freezer had numerous problems of it’s own.
      They do show up from time to time. All but one that I’ve seen had the ice maker missing.

1. Penne says

I went to an estate sale three weeks ago and ended up with a contract on the house. lol. It is a time capsule from 1965. There was a wall-mounted GE refrigerator/freezer running in the basement recreation room. Yellow with pink interior. It sold on the estate sale before I could get a contract on the house. At first I thought they moved this to the basement after getting a new appliance for the kitchen, but now I believe it was original to the basement.The oven in the kitchen appears to be an original GE built-in and then a newer GE counter-top stove, both white. The existing refrigerator also sold on the estate sale, so another GE purchase by me is in order. I would love to have a refrigerator like this one found by Pam’s Mom, but the space between cabinet/counter and a built-in desk is only large enough for a “standard” size appliance. I have been following RetroRenovation for several years and currently have a very nice, but small post-war home. I am so excited to own a larger home, but still a time-capsule. The inspector walked in and said, “whoa, going to need some updating”. I quickly set him straight. He got into to spirit when he found out the house was born the same year as him. We got a huge laugh when he picked up one of the toilet lids and exlaimed “this toilet was born the same day as me, 6/3/65”. I think I converted him.

• Janet in ME says

I love stories like this! Too bad you missed out on the wall fridge. The nicest one I ever saw listed was in a laundry room of all places, and therefore it was in excellent condition due to its location and lack of use compared to a kitchen fridge. I am happy to hear that you are going to keep the spirit of your 1965 home intact! As for the fridge, it is a behemoth indeed. That beast weighs a ton and if I remember right, it is really wide at 40″ or more and most kitchens cannot accommodate it. I really had to laugh at the service warrantee renewal. My father refused to sell those. He was old school and said that the extended warrantee suggested the GE appliance you were buying was likely to break down and was not reliable beyond its original warrantee. He never sold one of these to my knowledge. It was a really deluxe model that most likely went into newly built homes and was too fancy for the homes in our small farming community. And of course it would have been back breaking to deliver.

• Penne says

That wall refrigerator was pristine-clean and no rust. I think it sold on the third day of the sale, so probably for about $235. This house appears to have had central air conditioning from the time it was built. My Dad helped build houses in the late 50s and early 60s and saw many of these appliances. He said they did well in houses with central air, but they tended to “sweat” in houses without air. Perhaps that is the reason for the excellent condition. So much was going through my mind at this sale. I now wish that I had purchased that ‘fridge outright. If I got the house I would move it right back in–crazy! But if I didn’t get the house I would not have a place for it and then would probably have to resell it–sad!

• Joe says

Janet, you comments about your dad’s reasons for not selling extended warranties on appliances really brought back memories of a funny incident involving me. Back in the early 70’s, my parents went to a certain nationwide big-box department store (where all of suburbia shopped during the 50’s through the 80’s) to purchase new appliances. What really surprised me at the time was how the salesman kept alternating between telling my parents “you can’t find a better appliance than a K—–e” and “I know smart shoppers like you will want the peace of mind of an extended warranty”. He saw that my parents were definitely there to buy, but were hesitant about spending extra $ on extended warranties, so for some reason he decided that I would help him sell those warranties. Here I am, at age 10, being asked “young man, don’t you see the wisdom of spending a little more money for added peace of mind?”, to which I responded with “if your stuff is so great, how come you keep talking about how they’re gonna be breaking down all the time?” Stunned silence, followed by the salesman telling my parents “I see you have yourselves a Danny Partridge of your own”; followed by my mom replying “my Joey is a smart shopper, just like me!”

• Patrick Coffey says

Penne that wall fridge was not original to the home….it was from 1957…I know because they only made the wall fridge freezer with a pink interior in 1957 and if my research is accurate they stopped making them circa 1960

Awesome link! What a fantastic indoor/outdoor kitchen! Me want! Although not with aqua cabinets; I have enough of those already 😉

• Janet in ME says

I agree with Pam – what a fantastic kitchen. I think the range next to the fridge is also a model in the deluxe Americana line. I just missed out on one similar to it in Boston in turquoise. Before I got to contact them, it was gone, darn it!

• Justin says

That would be my outdoor kitchen. Although, since we moved, it is a new set-up at our current house. I belived I’ve posted these to one of the “photo uploads” on here, in the past.

In addition to the white and brown, i’ve also seen these in avocado green and turquoise.

Speaking of the photo uploads, are you going to have any, in the near future?

• Patrick Coffey says

The wall fridge was offered in White, Turquoise Green, Petal Pink Canary Yellow and Woodtone Brown, the Americana Fridge which came out circa 1963 was offered in those colors plus Coppertone not Terra Cotta

2. Katie says

The GE Americana is what first brought me to RetroRenovation! Along with our time-capsule bungalow, we were the lucky recipients of a GE Americana range in Coppertone Brown, and I’d love to have the matching fridge. This one is a beauty!

Neat! I had a 1970s GE Americana stove (with a double oven!) and have always wondered about the Americana appliances. I have seen the refrigerator in many colors, including a light blue! My stove had a brown finish on it from what I remember.

4. Mary Elizabeth says

Lovely! Want the pink wall fridge and the double freezer drawers. Then I wouldn’t have to keep going up and down to the freezer in the basement. But tell me, are there any appliance repair people out there who can get parts for these beauties?

5. Katie says

This is the same interior layout as my new French door, bottom freezer fridge. The only difference is that I have aa second shelf and small meat drawer where the counter is. Everything old is new again!

6. la573 says

Here’s the laundry equivalent:

These were made about 5-10 years ago by Frigidaire. Nice little countertop above the washer, useful for folding clothes if the stacked machine (which is a single unit) is in a laundry closet with no countertop nearby. The usual way to do this is by stacking a dryer over a washer, and I think there are a few brands that now that offer a slide-out shelf that slots in between them.

I’ve never seen this GE fridge. Neat, but I can see why it didn’t catch on – most fridges are right next to a countertop anyway, and this design robs space that most people would rather have to keep their food cold. There were only a few French-door refrigerators available back then, and years ago I read a Consumer Reports test from about 1965 that included two FD fridges and recommended against them, noting the seals between the two doors didn’t work well.

I’ve seen a few of the wall-hung GE fridges but never that Refrigeration Center. At first I thought the lower slide-out units were the 30″ wide slide-out dishwashers that GE sold in the late ’50s and early ’60s. I doubt I’ll every see one of those again.

7. Scott says

What a fun fridge. GE was quite innovative during these years. I was thrilled to retrograde my 1999 Kenmore oven to a 1976 GE a few weeks back and I’m so impressed by the features and quality I’d heartily recommend vintage GE to anyone.

A while back I came across a Coppertone(?) brown GE Spacemaker refrigerator / freezer (on bottom) that had the same snowflake pattern inside. It was GORGEOUS and totally matched my time capsule kitchen, but wouldn’t fit into my car so I had to pass on it. I took a few photos because I think it may be sorta rare, and it’s totally my ideal fridge. So pretty.

My mother-in-law has a vintage Tappan Fabulous 400 oven which also has a shelf, but I think it actually pushes back in like a drawer if you’re not cooking.

Oh, and I think the counter laminate matches my kitchen countertops. It’s white with glitter and mint green squigglies, but glitter hardly ever shows up in my photos.

9. la573 says

Your page at that link doesn’t mention this fridge’s coolest feature of all – the shelves all rotate and swing outward – the clips near the front right corner of each shelf hold them in place and is where they rotate. That’s why the left side of the shelves are tapered off a bit near the back, and what allows for that full-height lamp at the left rear (another rare feature that did a great job illuminating the inside of the fridge – much better than the single light bulb typical of the era).

I have this GE refrigerator in Canary Yellow … The swinging shelves are not “level” so would love to get replacement swivel clips .. I bought it based on the beautiful yellow color & the exterior chrome edges .. I had A LOT of difficulty identifying the year and thought it was perhaps early 70s.. Also as we tested we found a leak at the bottom of the freezer on the outside so we need to fix it before we use fulltime .. I got it on Craigslist for about $250 then had UShip bring it from Denver to Phoenix … Then I had to replace the interior door panel which took me months to track down & talk someone into selling just wish I had gotten the swivel clips at that time too

11. jesse says

Love this article showcasing the “In” Fridge of 1964 … love Louisville, too! What I noticed is the GE dishwasher/sink unit that is in my home. Hope there is info on it too.

12. Dan says

I have one of these that needs the freon to be charged in it. From the tag inside, im sure if its suppose to be 3lbs or .3lbs. Is possible to look at the litature to tell thanks