4 new retro barkcloth designs from Jessica Jones and Cloud 9 Fabrics

retro barkcloth patternsLast fall, designer Jessica Jones released her ‘Time Warp’ collection of retro inspired barkcloth patterns. It was so popular that she’s doing it again. Jessica’s ‘In Theory’ collection — due to go on sale at the end of January 2016 — includes four new retro barkcloth patterns, each available in two colorways. The colorways are related, so  you can mix-and-match patterns — if you dare!

retro barkcloth

‘Zenith Gold’

retro barkcloth

‘Zenith Blue’

We reached out to Cloud9 Fabrics with some questions, and Jessamyn Dukes, Creative Assistant, told us:

Time Warp was quite successful indeed and has nearly sold out completely. Much like Time Warp, In Theory features 4 retro inspired prints in 2 color ways each. For those looking to mix and match, the two collections coordinate quite well and share many of the same colors. The barkcloth itself is 100% organic cotton, 54-55” wide, and weighs about 9 oz. per square yard. It is quite soft and wonderfully textured and would make great accessories and apparel in addition to the usual home decor.

retro barkcloth

“Meridian Brown’

retro barkcloth

“Meridian Blue’

Here’s the feature blurb that Jessica Jones wrote for us:

It will begin shipping to shops at the end of January 2016, suggested retail price is $17/yd.

retro barkcloth

‘Wavelength Gold’

retro barkcloth

‘Wavelength Red’

retro barkcloth

“Half Life Blue’

retro barkcloth

“Half Life Brown’

retro barkcloth patternsNote: We particularly see this fabric as working well for window treatments and pillows. Pam says that it’s her experience that barkcloth is not durable for upholstery projects — for those we prefer wovens that have been abrasion-tested (Martindale or Wyzenbeek-tested.) Of course you can upholster with barkcloth, just know that it will wear faster.

retro barkcloth patternsSee more information on Cloud9 Fabrics’ website — The “In Theory” barkcloth collection will be available at various retailers beginning later this month.

retro-inspired-barkclothAnd: Remember to check out the other collection: Time Warp, shown above and profiled here.

Comments

1. Carolyn says

Back in the late ’60’s, my mom was just going nuts over barkcloth. There were 4 of us girls in 4-H so clothing projects were always being constructed on the ol’ NecchiBu. I recall a sleeveless pantsuit made of barkcloth of deep blue with “mod” tropical flowers – whoever wore it was “cool”.
    In my 20’s I found several drapery panels of a gray background with huge tropical flowers but never had windows where I could use them so they got donated. I can only hope they are now in a better place…

• Molly says

My hubby just rewired my inherited 1950 Necchi BU and we fired it up for the first time in probably 30 years. I’m excited to get some of this barkcloth and make some drapes for my bedroom with it!

2. Michele says

I collected barkcloth from eBay during the 2000’s and now have a substantial collection. I used them in my decor of my last house and also in my current house. I LOVE barkcloth and am glad to see that the current line you are promoting has the right texture. you would be surprised how so many people don’t actually know what barkcloth is and who try to sell fabric as “barkcloth” when in fact it is not. NO ONE CAN EVER TOP OR LIVE UP TO the designs that were put out by SPECTRUM in the forties, fifites and sixties. I have often wondered where the plates or original design master went for that company. Could not find any information on the web. Their designs surpassed all. The colors a rich and vivid after storage of 50 years. Glad to see that people are once again appreciating this fabric and the far out designs that were produced. Oh if someone could only attain the master designs from this company and reproduce them. Sadly my daughter wants to know when I am going to get rid of that “old lady stuff” in the attic. ha!

Thanks so much for mentioning my fabric! I can’t wait for it to go to good homes. Hooray! (As for a “feature blurb” by Jessica Jones, it seems to have evaporated if there was one. Timing and pricing are definitely Cloud9’s department 🙂

Sorry, Jessica, in the wake of our epic Las Vegas adventure I just ran out of steam to make that happen. But next time – okay!

4. Joe Felice says

What, exactly, is barkcloth (since that isn’t really a word)? I know what it looks like and used for, but is there a real definition? I’m assuming it has nothing to do with dogs. LOL
    also, what, exactly, is a “colorway?” Does this mean, simply, color and pattern together?

Well, this would require some research to be authoritative, but off the top of my head:

(1) Barkcloth probably named thus because it has the look of fabrics once made with bark — the “nubblies” give it away. See our story on Tapa Cloth, which is made from the bark of a paper-mulberry tree — http://retrorenovation.com/2014/07/01/tapa-cloth-tiki-bar-basic/

(2) Colorway — yes, I guess, I’d agree with what you say, color and pattern together. I guess if it were a solid, I would simply call it a color. Once you lay a pattern over it, the dominate color — likely the field color — becomes the “colorway.”

Like I said, though: These are my quick thoughts.