Porcelain enamel kitchen sinks in 3 styles, 8 colors — including aqua!

colorful undercount kitchen sinksDo you want a new kitchen sink — in a retro color? New resource discovered!  Houzer has three different styles of porcelain-enameled steel undermount kitchen sinks available in eight colors — including a lovely aqua that looks oh-so-close to the vintage color appliances and steel cabinets that we see and love. Hey: Add this sink to a full suite of Big Chill appliances in Big Chill’s newest standard color, turquoise, and you’re rockin’ the a complete set of matchy matchy — but new!

colorful undercount kitchen sinksAll eight kitchen sink colors offered could work well in a variety of retro modern settings — the white, off white, aqua and grey would work well in a retro modern 50s and early 60s inspired space, while the golden yellow, black and dark brown would be totally groovy in a kitchen inspired by the late 60s and 70s.

colorful undercount kitchen sinks

From the Houzer website:

Make Houzers’ luxurious and light weight Porcela porcelain enameled sink the star of your traditional or contemporary design. Porcela sinks give you the look and feel of enameled cast iron, but they’re as easy to install as an undermount stainless steel sink. Porcela Series sinks are double baked at 1500 degrees F to create a glossy, durable, non-porous surface that is resistant to stains, chips and scratches that is also hygienic and easy to clean.

• Non-porous surface
  • 9″ depth
  • 3-1/2″ Drain Opening
  • Chip, crack and scratch resistant
  • 8 distinctive colors
  • Double baked at 1500F
  • Easy undermount installation
  • Supplied with cutout template, fasteners and instructions
  • 10 year Limited Warranty

colorful undercount kitchen sinks

There’s also a bar sink, shown above.

Link love:

Comments

1. Lynne says

Am I the only one who just isn’t crazy about the whole undermount thing? I was forced to have my sinks undermounted it the bathroom, and I still grit my teeth every time I look at them.

Well, it’s true that undermount sinks were not super common in the era — although I recall seeing them in mid-century bathrooms …. but given this kitchen sink’s in aqua…. and I do know that there are readers who are gonna do solid surface countertops … we’re putting this out there.

• KL says

I love the look of a traditional retro kitchen, along with a lot of the laminate countertops I see out there, but my current stainless steel sink has so much crud under the lip that can’t be cleaned out; it’s awful. In that respect, I totally understand the gravitation toward undermounting.

• Carolyn says

Lynne, when the undermount was introduced, the first thing I thought of “how the heck are you gonna get that thing clean?!”

2. Carolyn says

I was hoping Houzer made not only kitchen sinks but bathtubs too – alas, they don’t. Would love a soaker tub on the second floor but combined weights give me pause.

3. Carolyn says

YEA! colors are available and we won’t have to settle for white, stainless, and bone/biscuit/almond/whatever the new name for beige is today so we have to buy all new stuff to match.
    I think this Retro thing may be catching on.

4. carolynapplebee says

i like the undermounted sink, but has anyone heard any info good or bad concerning undermount sinks with laminate counters? i remember a few years ago when this installation method was a new thing but i’m curious if the water tight seal would last.

• vintigchik says

Carolyn, the cabinet and countertop shop that I work for will not undermount sinks in laminate tops. Vintage laminate was mounted onto plywood but now the preferred underlay material is particle board which is prone to swelling when exposed to heat and water. However, if you like the look of an undermount sink and want laminate the best route is to do an integrated sink. Karran is a company that makes integrated sinks specifically for this purpose. The only issue you will have is finding a shop that has the capability of integrating the sink into laminate. Few shops know about this technology. Here’s a link to Karran’s integrated sinks: http://www.karran.com/models.html?subtype=Edge+Series&type=list_all#sinksThey are really sleek. If you really want an undermount look with the negative reveal, I would suggest lining the rim with metal trim, otherwise I’d be afraid of the top failing. I’ve actually seen this in a few vintage ads. Good luck!

5. ineffablespace says

I think it’s great that there are color options for sinks out there, but without the ability to do a whole suite of colored fixtures, I am not sure I see the point in a historic style restoration or renovation.

The look of the period was a matched set or a full on monochromatic/two-color palette, including tile. The “feature sink” is really an around the turn of the 21st century look.

It would probably be more authentic looking to go with white fixtures and colored tile if you can’t do the entire set of fixtures in a color

For a kitchen — you now have all the elements for an aqua suite: This sink + Big Chill appliances (or vintage)!

• says

Forgive me for contradicting an expert, but I am looking at advertisements and articles right now in American Home magazines from 1958 and 1959 that are NOT all matchy-matchy. One shows a kitchen with light yellow wall ovens, stainless cooktop, white sink, dark yellow dishwasher. Another ad has stainless appliances with a white sink. I’m sure there are many more in my archives.

Even magazine-perfection varied from the “all one suite” norm.

• ineffablespace says

I think I was thinking mostly of bathrooms when I posted, it was sort of a response to both the Houzer and sink sources post that followed it. I am sure a lot of kitchens didn’t really match finishes across the board.

I tend to believe that in kitchens, the “ideal” was to have the stove and fridge, at minimum, match. Too many colors and it’s difficult to have a cohesive design.

In bathrooms, for sure: Toilet, tub, sink = same color.

6. charlie says

Wish that they came in top mount. I’ve seen way to may under mount fall apart and separate from the counter. Plus it takes away from the 50’s 60’s look. Too much of a 2k look for my taste.

7. Kathy says

Too bad they didn’t make them to be either undermounted or top mounted, perhaps with a Hudee ring. I think the corners have too much of a radius for a Hudee ring, but might be worth checking out.

I burned the laminate in front of my sink and I have seen pics of cracked granite and such in that narrow strip between the sink and the edge of the counter. I think a stainless cover for that area to be slipped over the countertop could be a great solution to this problem, if anyone could manufacture it.

The price of custom was very high (around $600), so I’m considering a Vault top-mounted apron-front stainless sink by Kohler, available for order at Home Depot and other sources for around $600 for double bowl. These are designed for standard sink cabinets and are lighter and easier to install than a traditional apron front sink. Not really retro, but an option for others like me who don’t want to replace all their countertops.

8. KennyT123 says

If I’m going to spend that kinda money I’m just going to get a separate stainless sink unit and integrated drainboard. Then I can just have my laminate counters abut both ends without worrying about the sink. That way I can change my laminate counters if I want to do a color change.

Houzer shows only four of these sinks on its site. The aqua is gone, along with the gray, mustard, and cobalt blue.