New retro-style resilient flooring options from Mannington

mannington-commercial-flooringResilient sheet flooring — either vinyl or linoleum — are both authentic options for midcentury-style homes. I also like this style of flooring because it’s typically easy to clean — same reason as Mrs. America! Mannington is a big name in this market, and recently, we received tips from two readers — Brittney, then Patricia — about some new options in their product line.

Above: Brittney spotted “Blockprint” from Mannington.

Brittney wrote:

Hi Pam and Kate!

I’ve been shopping for new flooring and recently came across a few designs I thought would look good for my retro redo. When I got home I thought I’d do a search to see if other styles/colors were available in the filigree line. I found that it really was a retro release in honor of their 100th anniversary! I just thought I’d share incase you hadn’t seen these yet. Here is a link that talks about it:

Thanks, Brittney.

Readers, this flooring is in Mannington’s Commercial line. It’s an important reminder: When we retrophiles are shopping for flooring like this, we may likely have our best luck in the Commercial section of manufacturer/retailers’ websites.

Meanwhile, Patricia spotted several new designs in Mannington’s Residential line that, while not exactly midcentury modern, have elements of retro style from eras before and after:

mannington-filigree

Mannington Filigree resilient sheet flooring: “A 6″ tile floor design with a vintage floral motif, Filigree is a rich and authentic look. Its weathered, hand painted pattern, and ornate metalwork visual exudes an eclectic mix of pastoral classy style.”

Above: This Mannington Filigree design reminds me of 1970s designs. I like the tone-on-tone designs — great for a floor — although, of course, I’d love to see more color colors. Imagine this in… shades of avocado! Wouldn’t that be dreamy!

mannington-union-way

Mannington Union Way resilient sheet flooring: “A brick design that captures the “Urban Renewal” trend of salvaged architectural materials, Union Way is an adaptable floor. From traditional to dramatic style, this vinyl floor is sure to fit your decor needs.”

Above: Mannington’s Union Way featured staggered bricks. Very low chroma, reflecting so much of contemporary design today. But potentially useful nonetheless. Mannington, can we have: Red bricks?

mannington-penny-lane-flooring

Mannington Penny Lane resilient sheet flooring: “An updated throwback design, Penny Lane features small-scale marble hexagon patterns with colorful insets. Give your home a modern touch of nostalgia with this charming floor.”

Above: Grayed-out hex tiles with dots, but in a resilient sheet flooring. For a retro hippy house, maybe?

More flooring options:

Comments

1. Barbara says

We bought my husband’s childhood home in Maine, which will be our retirement home in years to come. The sheet vinyl was a fantastic pattern but needed replacement. I went with a commercial vinyl from IVC’s At Work collection (Planet Modus 585, a pebble pattern similar to the original my mother-in-law selected in 1970) and it is just a great floor. As you said, the sheet vinyl is very easy to clean. I actually like it so much I’m going to have it installed at home.

Yes, I think I’ve been meaning to profile that IVC series, too. Thanks for the reminder! Shop the Commercial sheet, Retro Renovators!

2. Robin, NV says

Ooh, I really like the Filagree line! It’s reminiscent of the patterned linoleum of the 70s, although not as exuberently colored.

3. Susie Q. says

Love all of these. At first I didn’t get why you included the brick pattern, but when I saw an up-close version of it on the link I understood! I wish they had it in dark brown.

4. Jukesgrrl says

“Red brick” sheet linoleum is what my mother had in her Cape Cod kitchen from the late fifties all through the sixties. She had that Neo-Colonial decor that was very popular then among traditionalists. Spindle legs, convex mirrors, eagle on the front door, etc. You get the idea. The only thing she didn’t have was knotty pine. My Grandma had that, lol.

5. Joe Felice says

If you want it to endure, go with the VCT. Like yesteryear’s linoleum, the pattern and color go all the way through.

6. Scott says

Pam’s comment about checking out a manufacturer’s commercial options is one of my all-time favorite RR tips to date as that’s where you are usually going to find the really fun stuff hidden away.

When I ordered a commercial selection for my countertops at Lowe’s it didn’t faze them one bit, the only difference was about a two-week longer lead time for the materials to ship.

Doesn’t exist as far as I know.

There are some brick-colored reds among commercial resilient sheet flooring, I think; also in linoleums….

7. Greg N says

There is another flooring option that we used in our 1957 kitchen. It is called MARMOLEUM, a natural raw material linoleum. You can find it through Forbo Flooring Systems, and it comes in myriad colors and patterns, many that compliment MCM very well.

8. Kate says

Every time I get excited, and every time my hopes are dashed. Not a single stockist in Australia (or anything similar that I can find). I **** **** **** the 80s tile renovation that was done in our kitchen & laundry but I cannot find anything that can replace it here unless I go generic boring blah!

Colour me envious my retro-loving friends on the other side of the world.