Georges Briard tiles — Tens of thousands of pieces of New Old Stock — 30+ designs — discovered

Georges-Briard-tiles

how-to-make-vintage-ornament-wreath

Thanks, Danielle, for this great tip — Danielle is a retro-loving friend I invited to my first-ever wreath-making session!

Here’s yet another story of a ginormous stockpile of New Old Stock discovered: Mark, who occasionally does estate clean outs, stumbled onto a stockpile of thousands — no, Tens of Thousands, he says — New Old Stock Georges Briard enamel-painted metal tiles. He wants to sell them, either as one batch for someone else to deal with, or, he will consider selling them as individuals (he already has some listed on ebay). He sent me 32 samples to take a look at — I scanned them — and so get ready for an eye-popping photo series! Mega thanks to my friend Danielle, who saw Mark selling these at Brimfield and told him to contact me stat — you know what we love, Danielle!

Photo viewing tip: On a desktop computer, you should be able to click on any image and it should enlarge up to 1,000 pixels wide so you can see more detail. Hit ESC to go back to the story. This functionality should work on most all our stories.

vintage georges-birard décorative tilevintage georges-birard décorative tileThe tiles arrived in a variety of sizes: Approximately 4.5″ x 4.5″ … 6″ x 6″ … 8″ x 8″ … 4″ x 8″ … there’s one that’s 7″ x 12″ … and as you will see, a trim piece and some round ones, large and small. Mark says there is an even larger size — he’s sending me a second batch of tile samples uncovered since the first mailing so I can do a follow up.

Pricing: Mark says pricing starts at $5 for a 4″ x 4″ square… but the cost will depend on style, size and number purchased. At Brimfield, folks liked the op-art tiles — the more modern ones. Of course, I like the colorful and kitschy ones best! If you are interested in buying some of the tiles, continue on: Mark’s contact info is at the bottom of this story.

vintage georges-birard décorative tilevintage georges-birard décorative tilevintage georges-birard décorative tileMy sense is that these tiles were used as singles designed into items like cheese boards, trivets, tile trays and even pot lids. I was thinking I might use some for my kitchen backsplash…. Kate also suggested using them to make small tile-top tables for a patio.

• There are a lot of “finished” products using these tiles for sale on ebay. Take a look-see >>George Briard Tiles on ebay (affiliate link)

vintage georges-birard décorative tile vintage georges-birard décorative tile vintage georges-birard décorative tile vintage georges-birard décorative tileThe back story on this find: They were stored for many years by a man who must have purchased them close-out from the factory; the man was a hobbyist who likely had the intent to fashion them into products.

The tiles were in boxes from at least two companies: Erie Ceramic Arts Company of Erie, Pennsylvania, and  Veos Porcelain Enamel Products Corp. or Rehobeth, Mass. There could be more companies involved — these names were spotted on just two boxes in the stockpile now at Mark’s place.

It could be that all these boxes then came to a central manufacturing facility — possibly in eastern New York state, because that’s the area where Mark found them.

vintage georges-birard décorative tile vintage georges-birard décorative tile vintage georges-birard décorative tilePrecautionary Pam reminds: Vintage materials and products may contain hazards such as lead paint — consult with your own properly licensed professional to assess what you are dealing with/working with so you can make informed decisions how to handle. For more info and links see our Be Safe / Renovate Safe page here.

vintage georges-birard décorative tile vintage georges-birard décorative tile vintage georges-birard décorative tilevintage georges-birard décorative tile vintage georges-birard décorative tile vintage georges-birard décorative tile vintage georges-birard décorative tileThere is quite the diversity of designs! Mid mod… flower power… Victoriana… many solid colors … and my favorite of the moment: Avocado, orange and harvest gold mushrooms! I tend to think that given this diversity, a lot of these tiles were made in the 1970s. When were cheese boards popular? That said, Mark says that they found lots of newspaper wrapping dating to the 1960s.

georges-birard-mushroom-tile-grid3-largeTee hee. I had Kate make me a patterned “backsplash” using the mushrooms and coordinating orange, avocado and harvest gold solid-color tiles. Desktoppers, be SURE to click on this one to see it large! Ben Sander: I challenge you to do this for someone!

vintage georges-birard décorative tileMy scans are not necessarily color-correct. The colors in the actual tile above, for example, are much more vibrant. And there’s metallic paint. There is metallic paint on A LOT of the tiles. Ya gotta see the samples.

vintage georges-birard décorative tileThe one above is the 7″ x 12″. It’s pretty awesome. I could design an entire kitchen around this design, too.

vintage georges-birard décorative tile vintage georges-birard décorative tileAbove: A 4″ x 8″ subway. Hmmmmm…..

vintage georges-birard décorative tile
… To go with this happy pineapple. And I think there are more pineapple designs.

vintage georges-birard décorative tile vintage georges-birard décorative tile vintage georges-birard décorative tile vintage georges-birard décorative tile vintage georges-birard décorative tile

I kinda adore roosters and chickens in the kitchen.

vintage georges-birard décorative tileSeller Mark send me these photos before he sent me the samples. They provide an alternative ways to see some of the colors:

vintage decorative tiles vintage decorative tiles vintage decorative tiles vintage decorative tiles

Okay: So you want to buy some of these George Briard tiles — or all of them? Here’s how:

Are we having fun yet?

Comments

1. Carolyn says

Can you imagine the emotions running through people when they pick up a box not knowing what it contains and finding something like this?!
    Even if you could afford only a few, what statements they would make either framed or as part of random placement or, as you hypothesized, as a crafting element!
    Thank you, Danielle and Mark!

2. Sue Anne says

I think you are right lead would be a big concern. Handle with care. A lead swab … [rest of comment edited because it gave advice — peoples, do your own research/get with your own properly licensed professional to assess situation — pam] .

Peoples: Get with your own properly licensed professionals to assess this situation. These may or may not include lead — you would have to get them tested…

3. Dave S. says

Wow Wow ! Such a joy to see pattern and color on this great find. Someone will have a fantastic looking project with these tiles.

They are REALLY fantastic. If I had my hippie house, I’d use the Victoriana ones for sure!

4. Mary Elizabeth says

My all time favorite is the avocado and orange mushrooms, and my second favorite is the leeks.

Yes, when I attended weddings in the late 1960s and early 1970s, there were a lot of cheeseboards displayed with the wedding gifts! One of my friends joked that she had got so many cheeseboards and so few of her formal dinnerware that she was going to be forced to give only wine and cheese parties for years to come.

5. Just another Pam says

Truly fabulous find!

Someone has to tell people who sell on eBay that they shouldn’t use eBay’s ridiculous shipping program! Almost 18.00 to ship a single tile to Canada? Things like this being shipped to Canada do not have to be brokered, it’s a scam eBay uses to make them money and cost the sellers as I don’t know a single person who will buy something when the seller uses the eBay program. When you read that the lister uses that system then you just go on to the next.

Two of his tiles are very tempting but strictly because of using that I’ve stopped considering doing a wall.

That said, good for him and good for everyone who gets some of this wonderful in their house.

6. Neil says

Love the brown and white square one with the tendrils of tiny flowers. Reminds me of those ankle-length Granny dresses all the girls in my senior class were making and wearing in 1967. It also brings to mind certain Victorian/Carnaby St./blended design trends I saw in London in 1969. I’m telling you, being young and wide-eyed in the 60’s was a kind of esthetic nirvana!

Also, the white square one with the black frame around the white center; PopArt heaven. Just imagine the impact of a full field of them (though I could do without the signature on every single tile).

These are a treasure trove.

7. yellow says

Wow, what an amazing find! Thank you for showing off the gallery of tiles. We have a 70’s walnut/orange and green kitchen with harvest gold toned laminate tile floor. Though the “orange” is slightly more leaning towards the rust end of the spectrum, and we’re incorporating the green into it ourselves. I’ve contacted Mark to see if we can get a thing or two..

Would definitely be a follower if he chose to sell them himself. Would love to see the other tiles he has. He could almost start a blog to show different styles/color stories off.

8. missbike says

Briard is fabulous! I’ve been hoarding his cocktail goods and serving dishes for years, and it’s a name to look for when scouring the second hand market. The platters and serving dishes are wonderful and mine will go on a wall when I figure out how to hang them. We used to use them at Christmas, but I’m afraid of the late ‘n tipsy clean up! They aren’t replaceable…. And never put it in the dishwasher. That destroys the paint. Especially any gold, the bleach in dishwasher soap degrades it.

Anyway, these patterns were on dishes and appliances too. Briard had a huge business churning out cool housewares and it was considered excellent Christmas gift material. There’s a lot of it around. But NOS? Wow! Always great to find.

9. Linda Straley says

WOW! WHAT A BLAST FROM THE PAST, finding this treasure trove of vintage design and colors!!

10. Landon Pelt says

Hi Pam. I don’t know if this is the place to tell you but I couldn’t find a tip line so here goes. I found some white and gold speckled bullet nose bathroom tile at Home Depot for only $.76 each. http://www.homedepot.com/p/Daltile-Semi-Gloss-Golden-Granite-4-1-4-in-x-4-1-4-in-Ceramic-Bullnose-Wall-Tile-0138S44491P1/202625043?MERCH=REC-_-PIPHorizontal1_rr-_-202625053-_-202625043-_-N&cm_mmc=shopping-_-pinterest-_-D23-_-202625043

And I found a pink colored tile at Plumtile for $1.12 each.
    Ceramic Tile Trends – Cristalinas / Powder Pink

11. Kathy says

Thanks for introducing a designer I didn’t know about and I just love his work. The eBay listings are very affordable. My favorite part of 60s to mid 80s design is the stylized almost folkloric graphics and happy designs and colors.