Spectacular Mosaic Tile Company decorative tiles in Roger and Lynsey’s 1953 bathrooms

Mosaic Tile Company decorative tile“Save the pink (and maroon and peach and green!) bathrooms! The bathroom tiles are some of the most unique we’ve seen,” wrote Roger and Lynsey. “Everyone asks if we’re going to re-do the bathrooms, and then they pause and say, “No, you can’t!'”

Mosaic Tile Company Zanesville OhioAfter writing about Roger and Lynsey’s spectacular 1953 kitchen remodel, Kate asked if they wanted to send in more photos of their house, which sounded pretty darned enticing. And the bathrooms did not disappoint! Both bathrooms feature countertop, backsplash and tub surround tiles in busy googie patterns. The bullnose and some additional wall tile are in much more sedate shades of dark maroon and dark peach. Tubs and sinks are green or peachy-pink. No fear of pattern and color in this era in this house!

Mosaic Tile Company decorative tileDecorative tile Decorative tile Mosaic Tile CompanyRoger and Lynsey wrote:

The bathrooms are definitely starting to show their wear, but we don’t have plans to re-do them anytime soon. For now, we’ve just painted the walls and cabinets and replaced the hardware.

I started to poke around to see if I could ID these tiles. I was thinking maybe Ceratile. It’s not in this sample stash we featured a while back. But maybe it was another series?

Then, I went to look online to see if I could find them. Decorative tiles are so cool:

1962-american-olean

Here are some 1962 American Oleans, but no cigar. Featured courtesy the MBJ Collection/Building Technology Heritage Library

1953-american-olean-tile

oooooh, and lookie that gorgeous use of decorator tile over the fireplace, from this 1953 American Olean catalog, also part of the MBJ Collection. But none of Roger and Lynsey’s shown in this catalog either….

Decorative tiles are from Mosaic Tile Company

mosaic-tile-companymosaic-tile-coBut then, in a final review of the story, Lynsey told me she had evidence of the maker: Mosaic Tile Company.

Believe it or not, the previous owners left a handful behind — including two original samples, which had labels on the back (see attached photos, above). They’re from the Mosaic Tile Company in Zanesville, Ohio. I’m not sure if they manufactured them, distributed them, or both.

Lynsey, Mosaic Tile Co. was a BIG maker. I’ll bet they made these!

More stories in our archives about tiles from Mosaic Tile Company:

mosaic-tile-company-flamingo

Above: And lookie: Bungalow Bill still has another New Old Stock Mosaic Tile Company flamingo mural for sale! (affiliate link)

Yum yum, Lynsey and Roger. More thanks for sharing the delights within your house! One more set of house photos yet to come!

Comments

1. Carolyn says

Well! that was pretty sneaky just showing the counter and then the big reveal of the shower! Love the reactions of your guests.
    Home Depot and Lowes stopped offering 4 x 4 decorative tiles about 10(?) yrs ago with a smooth finish like these shown because the market was dwindling in favor of glass or “stone”-type products. DH had been picking up a Southwestern design a few pieces at a time figuring to scatter – we use two of them as coasters for the coffee spoon and my cup.
    A month ago, I went on a mansions tour – I’m thinking they should really organize MCM and MCm tours while the original homeowners are still around to tell the tales. How many of these homes do we drive by every day, not knowing the treasures within?

2. Robin, NV says

I was so hoping you were going to say that the bathrooms were remodels and that they tiles were still available. Today’s offerings are just so boring.

When these were marketed in the early 50’s they advertised that you could blindfold your tile setter and he still couldn’t make a mistake installing these patterns.

4. Susan says

Could Roger and Lynsey submit more photos of their wonderful home. Really want to see what the outside looks like, since the inside is so original. I love the green sink in the bathroom. I live in a 1956 built home that has the original bathrooms, green sink and tile and pink formica counter. The kitchen is all original too. Mamie Pink GE oven and stovetop, pink formica counters, birch cabinets.

• Lynsey says

Susan — Pam and Kate have a few more photos of the inside that I think they’ll share sometime in the near future. We are getting the outside of our house painted next week (yay!) so after it’s all spruced up I can send those, too, for Pam and Kate’s consideration. (But aren’t y’all getting tired of us yet?!)

• Carolyn says

No, Lynsey, we don’t get tired of seeing our favorite decor periods either because we go into a house expecting one thing only to find a big-box retailer inside or the places haven’t yet come onto the market.
        Me? I grew up with rural farmhouses built for utility, not style or small-town MCm. Your home I would consider “fancy”. Retrorenovation has exposed me to a lot of what I missed out on growing up. It’s literally been a real eye-opener – too bad there isn’t a brain scan going on when I open some of these articles!

5. Jay says

Swanky tile, nice how the sink counter fades back to the corner to allow for the swing of the door. Interesting that the tiles are 6 x 6 which seems to be more common today. I had to find out what the manufacturer meant by “dust pressed”.

Oh my goodness! Those are just awesome. I am pretty sure the bathroom tiles alone would have been enough to sell me on this amazing home. I can’t wait to see more of it!

7. Kathy says

Those neat brown and green boomerang tiles are in our town’s High School in the niches for the water fountains and managed to survive a recent renovation because they were still in perfect condition. I believe the school was built in 1956, and the school colors are green and white.

Some both of the elementary schools built in the 1932s have fireplaces with fairy tale characters so the kindergarten teacher could read stories by the fireplace, and some are near the waterfountains too. Schools are now a low-income senior housing project and an office building. The newer schools are very utilitarian.

8. Mary Elizabeth says

Fabulous bathrooms, and obviously well cared for over the years. That’s one thing I love about “granny” houses.

For those still looking for Spanish or Southwest tiles, here’s a place I saw in Albuquerque, New Mexico while visiting there:

Santa Fe and Albuquerque are where I would go to look at Southwest style architectural features of any sort.

9. jivesnake says

Love the boomerang tile bathroom and how the angle of the countertop matches the angle of the boomerangs. Sigh.

10. Joe Felice says

The tiles are nothing but fun! Not crazy about the rust color in the one bath, but the way in which it coordinates with the counter/back splash, and the fixtures, the bath is completely lovable. That same sink would have looked good in the other bath, too.