10 finds we like from CB2

midcentury retro furniture

Pam has me doing a ‘summer survey’ of some popular mainstream retailers to get an updated look at midcentury style finds in their product lineups right now. I started at West Elm and today, I ‘shop’ CB2 to find my top-ten furniture and decor picks that could fit right into a vintage home.

retro bench

1. Wrap Bench

The clean lines, textural interest and tapered, midcentury style legs on this bench give it a look that would blend well with midcentury or retro decor — including your collection of 70s macrame. This versatile bench could be used in your entryway, at the foot of a bed or even in front of the couch instead of a coffee table. The bench comes in a smaller size, too.

tulip table

2. Odyssey White Dining Table

An inexpensive ($199) alternative to a Saarinen tulip table, this classic, clean design is always a favorite. Pam had this in her kitchen before she found a vintage set, and she liked it fine, she said.

retro modern table

3. Compass Dining Table

This retro modern looking table reminds me of the style of Warren Platner, a popular midcentury designer. The table can seat six and has a lightweight, airy feel that meshes well with midcentury decor.

retro pod chair

4. Pod Hanging Chair with Cushion

I think it is every retro lover’s dream to have a space for an egg-shaped, hanging pod chair like this one. I imagine myself sitting in this chair out on a shaded patio, rocking in the breeze, but it could work inside in a sunroom, living room or bedroom, too.

retro patio chair

5. Acapulco Lounge Chair

The airy Acapulco lounge chair is an outdoor design classic, perfect for a midcentury patio. I hear they are quite comfortable.

retro lounge chair

6. Ixtapa Lounge Chair

Like the Acapulco lounge chair, the Ixtapa lounge chair would feel right at home on a midcentury patio, and hey — it comes in bench form, too.

hanging bullet planter

7. Page Hanging Planter

This mint-colored stoneware planter reminds me of a bullet planter that hangs — it would be great for a midcentury porch or a sunny corner of the living room or kitchen.

metal urchins

8. Two-Piece Metal Urchin Set

These simple metal urchins are reminiscent of many midcentury sculptures and would add a playful pop to any table top.

retro mobile

9.  Crop Circle Mobile

Mobiles and midcentury decor go together hand in hand — and this crop circle mobile would be a fun, whimsical touch to any room.

club chair10. Club Chair

The club chair is a classic design that can go in a midcentury, midcentury modern or even a retro mod home. CB2 offers this classic in 60 colors including bold choices like teal, fuchsia, atomic, como (olive green), sunflower and peacock.

Comments

1. Mike says

It’s important to note that “CB2 is a modern destination from Crate and Barrel that first opened in Chicago in the year 2000. CB2 is affordable modern for apartment, loft, home.” In a world filled with acronyms, who is opposed to a little clarity? The Compass dining table looks good, and is surely built well, but wouldn’t leg space be compromised? That aside, it’s some cool stuff.

• Mary Elizabeth says

Mike, I loved that design also, but the first thing I thought was that it looks like the iron railing around the seal pool in Central Park in 1955, where I got my skinny little girl legs caught and had to be rescued by the NYFD. (If that ever happens to you, I believe they used some form of petroleum jelly that was on the truck.)

I still have the habit of sticking bare feet and legs into things like that, so yes, leg room would be a problem. 🙂 Better to stick with the tulip table or vintage peg-shaped table legs.

• Heidi Evans says

It does seem less efficient. With my short legs it wouldn’t be a big problem to sit there, but my dread of wasted space makes me want to put a shade-loving houseplant inside it.

2. Katie B. says

My grandma had chairs just like that wrap bench. They looked uncomfortable, but they were not. Her ranch was decorated in a 60s/70s style, and she even had the glitter acoustic ceilings. I loved that house!

3. Irisheyes says

I wish vendors of new “mcm” style furniture would recognize that having a seat height of just 14″ is ridiculous for most people now days! Tall people have their knees in their face, older people can’t get out of them, and ladies have to sit on the very edge to demurely cross their legs. Why not keep the style lines, but raise the seat to a more reasonable 17″ – 19″ ??

• Carolyn says

OMG! I thought that was just me being short (certainly not because I’m mature or have a little extra padding)! Sort of a “Gaslight” thing, right? Then I thought it had more to do with nearly everything being made in Asia where people are significantly smaller than the US.
      My best anecdote: I’m all dressed up, with drink in hand. Expecting the cushion to meet my behind only it was 2 – 3 inches farther down. Spilled my drink and got cut off for not being able to handle my liquor.

• Scott says

Funny, I keep having the opposite problem with newer chairs being so deep my feet don’t quite rest on the floor, and I’m 6 feet tall.

4. Mr Kim says

Hello everyone! I’m the happy owner of an Acapulco chair which I use it in my dining-living room as a regular chair.
    I got it with white cording and black legs which blend with pretty much any kind of decoration. It doesn’t add any visual weight since you can see through. So You can add it to any space and it won’t make it feel crammed.
    In terms of desing it’s wonderful but, if you intend to buy it, go to a show-room and try it, I mean try sitting on it for five minutes.
    Your backside is supposed to fit into the inner ring, and the outer ring reaches more or less to your nape. The straps don’t provide any real support to your back and your legs will have to bend at a 45º angle. So, definitely this is not a one-size-fits-all.
    It’s indeed extremely comfortable in summer because the air flows through the straps actually cooling your back. However, I found I really need to stuck a cushion in the lower curve of my back otherwise I can’t sit for long.
    Bear on mind you might need a cushion. I got some vintage upholstery fabric and my mum made me one to go with the chair 🙂 As if that was a problem.
    My guests love sitting on the chair and the only real problem is that they try to steal my 70s style cushion 😉
    Also, if you do get one of them, or a copy, make sure it is UV resistant, otherwise straps will literally fall down after one month in the sun.
    Oh, and don’t get it if there’re cats at home…

5. Tikimama says

Does anyone else get the CB2 catalog? Just got the latest one a day or two ago, and boy was it depressing! I loved the products highlighted here, and they look so colorful and cheerful. But I swear they lit all the photos in that catalog to look like a stormy day. I kept wanting to turn the lights on!