I wallpapered the ceiling. I’m pretty darned proud. Yes, that’s the dining room ceiling in my Mahalo Lounge, reverse-bird’s-eye view, artsy fartsy.
Easier Peasier way to wallpaper a ceiling:
The wallpaper was uni-directional (that is: It was linear running in one definitive direction), which I did not want. So, (1) working with the existing width, I cut the paper into 27″ squares [that is, I left the existing selvedge, I only had to cut once per piece as I went along the length], and (2) as I went and tesselated [alternating them 90 degrees to each other] them, and (3) I put them up on the diagonal. I measured and marked the center of the diagonal first, which fortunately, was center of the light fixture. In a situation like this, I think I would make sure the light fixture were centered on a piece of wallpaper or else it would look not good.
Cutting the paper into squares like this also made the paper easier to work with, what with the need to work up. I say easier peasier because this was not an easy peasy project. It wasn’t difficult… but it was tedious, and I worked hard to be careful because I Did. Not. Want. To. Fall. Off. My. Louisville. Platform. Ladder (affiliate link) which I am oh so grateful for.
Tip: My plan worked well with this particular paper because there were ‘bamboo’ lines on each side. These bamboo lines created outlines around each piece as I went. I am not sure this idea would work with a lot of other designs of wallpapers. You’d need to think it through — that is, how will a particular design of wallpaper look tesselated in smaller squares?
The wallpaper also was that heavy, textured vinyl stuff. This also made it easier to work with, as it never ever wanted to tear.
I used heavy duty wallpaper paste from my local hardware store. I was sure, also, to size the ceilings first. I used this exact stuff:
Tip: When you cut the squares, always use a tee-square to ensure you’re square. Then, the squares should go up like a breeze. I did not use the tee-square at first, and stuff started going sideways, and it was kind of ACK!, and then I had to adjust, but I was able to puzzle through a solution, however, it took a long time to adjust everything piece by piece, and some of the long lines are crooked, but no one will ever notice especially after two sips of my rum punch. I think that it took me four weeks to do this ceiling, working off and on, off and on, off and on.
I also plan to wallpaper the rest of the adjacent living room. I adore wallpaper. Adore, adore, adore. It’s worth all the trouble. Be Epic!