Get our retrolicious free newsletter.


Get our retrolicious free newsletter.


  1. mary says

    I am needing information on how to take care of black countertops circa 1950’s. They are dull and some pitting and am wanting to polish them up. I remember my mom using Jubilee on her appliances and counter tops but that of course in no more! Any help would be greatly appreciated!

  2. Timothy Pickel says

    I Recently discovered a large cache of Ruth Richmond gold/ acrylic doorknobs produced Weiser in the 1960’s. I knew they were special as soon as I saw them and had to do some research. I found most of my information on this website. I have come across so much vintage/ antique fixtures and accessories as I am a do it all handyman in southwest Florida. I was wondering if there is a venue and I where I would be able to offer finds such as the acrylic nobs and they will get recognition for all they really are

  3. Josip says

    Where to find griswold symbol cookware and/or parts because I have the 2 quart sauce pan and the 5 quart dutch oven in orange.

  4. Hilary M. Suthon says

    I am trying to remove the metal drawer slide/runner from the inside of my St. Charles Avenue kitchen cabinet. I need to take it out to repair it. However, I can’t make heads or tails out of how to disengage it from the original bracket at the back of the cabinet.
    Any ideas on where I can find some guidance or even an old manual online? I would be most appreciative.

  5. Becky says

    I have the vintage chrome table and I need the stoppers for the one that has the double legs that come together at the bottom. Any ideas as to where I can find them?

  6. Rob says

    I have a 50s dinette with 6 handle back chairs that are in need of reupholstering. Do you know how difficult they are to DIY and a good company to get the vinyl from? I’m hoping to get something pretty close to the original.

    Thank you in advance.

    • pam kueber says

      Rob, we have several stories on where to find vinyl – they should come right up in the search box. Re the DIY: IDK.

  7. Kerri Hatcher says

    I found the coolest Scheirich cabinet piece buried in a charity resale shop near Chicago, IL. I can’t use it but I have photos and shop details to share if anyone is interested.

  8. Barbara Priebe says

    I have a GE partiocart in excellent condition with original owners manual and warranty paperwork. Any suggestions on how to sell it?

  9. Kelly` says

    Hi folks!
    I have original metal cabinets in my 1938 house in Pittsburgh, PA. No idea the manufacturer.
    Anyway, they need to be repainted and I’m wondering what is the best way to tackle that project?
    Also, there are three different types of vintage correct handles, but all of different widths for the screws. It appears that at some point some holes were filled and new holes drilled. How would I go about A) finding a matching set of handles (I need 13), and B) what do you fill the holes with?
    Thanks for your help!

    • pam kueber says

      Hi Kelly, this is not a diy or fixit site per se. That said, we have done a number of stories about readers who have painted or have had professionals paint their cabinets using a variety of methods.

      Sounds like you are new to this site: Get to know our Navigation — it’s there to help you with all your research. For this, see our Kitchen Help/Steel Kitchens category and start going thru the stories.

      IMPORTANTLY, note that old materials and products in our houses can contain hazards such as lead, asbestos, and more. Get with your own properly licesned professional(so) to assess what you are dealing with/working with so that you can make informed decisions how to handle. For more info and links see our Be Safe/Renovate Safe page

      Finally, re handles — also see the category. Likely you will need to hunt down vintage.

      Good luck!

  10. Barb Horton says


    I’ve been following you for almost 6 years now, since we bought our one owner/builder 1961 home. I’d like to refinish my kitchen cabinets to look like the ones my mom had.

    So I am looking for pictures/examples/info on cabinets like my mom had in her 1955-56 Kansas rambler. They were dark wood (mahogany-ish?) with light birch doors. I think they were very attractive. Any ideas on where to look. I don’t think you’ve covered that particular variant in your blog (yet).

    Thanks a bunch.


  11. Connie Fielder-Norton says

    I need a replacement cook element for 1957 GE Model J-501 Built-in Oven. Does anyone know the parts # for the bake and broiler elements? I could also use the button control panel for the companion cooktop, Model J-551. Thanks, Connie

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *